Concepts of databases, designs and data management

Question

I'm not an IT guy, but a health care professional, as you all know we deal with great amounts of data. There are jobs that require some understanding of data management and DB tools, such in clinical trials, drug information, and clinical data management. I have used SQL queries (online course) in the past along with MS SQL Server for personal pleasure and leisure. I'm not aiming to become a DBA (i wish i could  :p) but I want to have a decent level of training and experience with data management and databases. What a good approach to that and where to begin?

7 answers to this question

A DBA is a database administrator, someone who is expert in looking after a database engine, and not necessarily someone who knows how to design a good database nor necessarily how to use one.  It certainly helps, but really isn't necessary for the role.

Database design is easy but the problem is that good database design is actually not nearly as easy.  I would recommend that you read about the subject, get a good book on the concepts, such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Database-Systems-Implementation-Management-International/dp/0201708574/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404522457&sr=8-6&keywords=database+design

Learn the concepts before you unleash yourself on a database engine and trying to create a database.

Design of databases that are used for analytical purposes is a different animal altogether, and you might want to read around data warehouse model design. 

There's an older book by Microsoft Press called Microsoft SQL Server 2005: Database Essentials Step by Step. It's still in print and mostly still relevant. There's also another suite of SQL training books by Joes2Pros that I've found to be very helpful. Both start you from ground zero. Check MS TechNet for the SQL library documents as well. You may also want to look into Business Intelligence (BI) down the road given your healthcare background.

There's an older book by Microsoft Press called Microsoft SQL Server 2005: Database Essentials Step by Step. It's still in print and mostly still relevant. There's also another suite of SQL training books by Joes2Pros that I've found to be very helpful. Both start you from ground zero. Check MS TechNet for the SQL library documents as well. You may also want to look into Business Intelligence (BI) down the road given your healthcare background.

I would seriously recommend not learning about a specific engine until you have learnt about general RDBMS concepts.  Similarly, I'd stay away from SQL until you have learnt at least a little about Set Theory.

He's indicated he already has experience with MS SQL. Easiest place to start with the most resources is MS SQL and Technet. He indicated he wanted experience with data management (I presume he means the ability to create queries).

Beginning Database Design looks the better out of the two judging by the reviews as it doesn't teach a method the author has invented like the other appears to.