Time Travel, do you believe in time travel?

But naturally it will happen one day..

Space has finite number of particles and they will some day run out of number of state in which they can be unique and they are bond to rearrange them self to a state which they previously were.. Distance between these two state is huge but they will some day do it..

that a flawed assumptions.

particles that dragged and united into a black hole won't ever revert to state where they were before became one with the black hole.

I believe in time travel but to do this you need to travel at the speed of Light which we don't have the technology. But if can reach the speed of light we will be able not just to travel in time but reach planets that are far far away.

Well, you are only correct in 1 particular sense.  Light speed travel is not the only way (theoretically) - In fact, there might be 1000 different ways, all easier than light speed travel - mainly because once you get close to the speed of light, you also approach infinite resistance.  (among a myriad of other issues making this not the ideal way)   .... so we think.....

All discussion aside, the audio in the OP is pretty detailed. It really sounds like the guy believes he went to the future. Of course, it was recorded in 2000 and he refers to events happening in 2002 and 2003 that we know didn't happen. The fact that hospitals haven't changed in 137 years and the fact that he needed 6 weeks of treatment leaves it feeling very suspicious. My only issue is that he had an answer for every question and seemed to genuinely believe that this all happened. He didn't come across as a liar though.

All discussion aside, the audio in the OP is pretty detailed. It really sounds like the guy believes he went to the future. Of course, it was recorded in 2000 and he refers to events happening in 2002 and 2003 that we know didn't happen. The fact that hospitals haven't changed in 137 years and the fact that he needed 6 weeks of treatment leaves it feeling very suspicious. My only issue is that he had an answer for every question and seemed to genuinely believe that this all happened. He didn't come across as a liar though.

Events after 2000 have been altered by him returning from the future, so it makes sense things won't be the same as in his story. The chance he did time travel is slim but still events not happening is not proof he didn't.

Well, events altered or not, I just hope that the ICBM does not rain down on us like what he said... cos I saw that in my dream and it's fricken scary...

Events after 2000 have been altered by him returning from the future, so it makes sense things won't be the same as in his story. The chance he did time travel is slim but still events not happening is not proof he didn't.

That's pretty convenient.

No.  Some people theorize that if you could move faster than the speed of light, you would travel back in time, but I can't go for that.  Think about this.  There are objects in space that are millions of light years away.  When we look at those objects, what we see is what things looked like millions of years ago.  The reality is very different, the light just hasn't had time to get here yet for us to see it.  If we were somehow able to instantly teleport to those objects, we would be able to see "reality".  If we were to move faster than the speed of light in one direction, I don't think anything would happen except that we would be catching up with old rays of light, so time would "appear" to be moving backwards if we looked behind us because the light rays entering our eyes would be increasingly older light rays.  Basically, we would be viewing light in the reverse of how it is normally seen, so things would appear to be going backward in time.  However, that would just be a visual illusion, and I don't think, physically, it is possible to "actually" travel back in time and walk around and interact with a past version of the universe, as it is portrayed in the movies.

• Like 2

No.  Some people theorize that if you could move faster than the speed of light, you would travel back in time, but I can't go for that.  Think about this.  There are objects in space that are millions of light years away.  When we look at those objects, what we see is what things looked like millions of years ago.  The reality is very different, the light just hasn't had time to get here yet for us to see it.  If we were somehow able to instantly teleport to those objects, we would be able to see "reality".  If we were to move faster than the speed of light in one direction, I don't think anything would happen except that we would be catching up with old rays of light, so time would "appear" to be moving backwards if we looked behind us because the light rays entering our eyes would be increasingly older light rays.  Basically, we would be viewing light in the reverse of how it is normally seen, so things would appear to be going backward in time.  However, that would just be a visual illusion, and I don't think, physically, it is possible to "actually" travel back in time and walk around and interact with a past version of the universe, as it is portrayed in the movies.

I was going to bring up the objects in space in an upcoming post, but you saved me the trouble. Thank you.

Considering time flows differently in space, and at close to the speed of light. It's not fixed like we're use to / experience on earth.

Another question would be is we make the tech is it true time travel or hopping to an alternate reality that makes it feel like we time traveled if alteration accrued. 

I've always followed the Red Queen's advice:

"I can't believe that!" said Alice.
"Can't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes."
Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

The "laws" of physics aren't laws at all. They are merely hypotheses. Even where specific relationships have been shown to obtain mathematically, they could merely be local effects. And when you start to investigate the Nature of Reality, a whole new universe opens up, involving consciousness and energy.

Is time travel possible?

Does a bear poop in the woods?

Ask Marty & the Doc

post-405-0-01258600-1404628886.jpg

• Like 2

As an individual with a PhD in Physic the only answer on my mind is, "Hell No."

Interesting. Care to elaborate? Personally I think that black holes are the closest that we'll get to time travel, but I cannot vouch for the idea that it will let us go backwards or forwards on ourselves in a true time traveling sense.

It was said that if you were to travel at the speed of light (which Hawking and many other say isn't possible due to radiation that would kill you and blow up your ship the instant you hit the speed). That the entire universe would seem to happen in a split second of your "time", there one moment, gone in the blink of an eye.

You also apparently wouldn't be able to see light particles that you're traveling past if you were going faster than the speed of light, that's apparently a problem with sci-fi movies and TV shows not being "realistic".

The opposite is said to happen when you're in a black hole, being able to see anything that has or will enter the horizon of it.

If time travel was possible in the future, don't you think people would return to the past to hurry up the discovery of it?

There are many reasons that may not work, one of them being the paradox solution, you going back in time and causing the changing of when time travel occurs will cause you to not be the one to do it at the time you originally came back and so it cancels out.

The other reasons being that what if Time really is tied to other dimensions other than just the 3 dimensions of space and "time travel" involves jumping into other universes or other bizarre circumstances, maybe it's not possible to come back to a point in time in your own universe? What if the universe diverges from your own with different choices being made, the alternate universe theories etc?

If time travel was possible in the future, don't you think people would return to the past to hurry up the discovery of it?

He didn't seem to care about it:

TimeTravelingHipster.jpg

:p

Seriously though, I think Alera is right in that it would have the potential to create a paradox. Unless you remove time travel and instead go with alternate universes. But then you're not messing with your direct timeline, you're messing with a timeline that could have been (for us.)

He didn't seem to care about it:

TimeTravelingHipster.jpg

:p

Seriously though, I think Alera is right in that it would have the potential to create a paradox. Unless you remove time travel and instead go with alternate universes. But then you're not messing with your direct timeline, you're messing with a timeline that could have been (for us.)

Fake picture huh? xD It'd be awesome if that was real!

There are many reasons that may not work, one of them being the paradox solution, you going back in time and causing the changing of when time travel occurs will cause you to not be the one to do it at the time you originally came back and so it cancels out.

The other reasons being that what if Time really is tied to other dimensions other than just the 3 dimensions of space and "time travel" involves jumping into other universes or other bizarre circumstances, maybe it's not possible to come back to a point in time in your own universe? What if the universe diverges from your own with different choices being made, the alternate universe theories etc?

Cancels out that YOU are not the one that returned to the past, but not that SOME one will. And it doesn't matter who's that person, as long as one returns to the past.

In that case, that's not time traveling.

Cancels out that YOU are not the one that returned to the past, but not that SOME one will. And it doesn't matter who's that person, as long as one returns to the past.

In that case, that's not time traveling.

But if you or someone from the future is not the one to do it, then how did you or they give those in the past the details to make the time machine? :p How do you stop the paradox? You'd have to ensure there was an endless loop if that was the case...

Who said anything about "me" returning to the past to give that information? Doesn't matter who will do it, as long as the information that speeds up the process of discovery will be transferred.

Who said anything about "me" returning to the past to give that information? Doesn't matter who will do it, as long as the information that speeds up the process of discovery will be transferred.

The point I'm trying to make is, if somebody at point A in time; the point that someone in the future has the information to make time travel work, then sends that information back either on it's own or with someone, then tries to make a time travel device in the past, that will change the past because time travel has already been invented, meaning that the future time travelers would have no reason to send anything into the past as it's already been done, which means nobody or nothing travels back.

Basically, the chain of events that made point A what it was will never happen, so the person or information that traveled from point A to point B will also never occur, cancelling the whole thing out.

EDIT: I may have to draw a diagram to make it easier to understand. xD