Time Travel, do you believe in time travel?

This one will probably work:

http://vimeo.com/17477895

If it doesn't just search for "Stephen Hawking Time Travel".

I need to tell you something, and please don't be offended, but stop being childish. Is she credible? It's like asking "Do humans drink gasoline to survive?"

Don't waste your time with nonsense. Go read and watch real scientific stuff from REAL scientists.

lol thanks... but I was wondering if she was being real... will check that video out

:laugh:   Your sense of humor is priceless.

You were joking weren't you?

Yeah I love Enron's humor.  He's so hillarious... :)

nukenorman, thanks for that show.  That show is awesome.  Enjoyed it alot. Will search for more.  I hope that is not the only one.  Does not seem like youtube has any more of that show but I will find for more.

observing past events may be possible, however since the future is not written, it is impossible.. for example, I am sitting in a lazy boy recliner typing this, and since the future is not written, I could theoretically sit in this chair until the end of the universe.

lol thanks... but I was wondering if she was being real... will check that video out

You don't need to ask anyone. It doesn't need checking out. Their fictional stories are as real as santa claus; now if you think santa is real, then that's a completely different matter then.

Just apply the rules of the universe, common sense and logic.

To put it simply, based on what we know in the field of theoretical physics, you don't actually time travel, but in fact, you travel sideways to parallel universes that are at a different time compared to us; in some of them time passes at the same pace as ours, in some other it could be slower or faster.

That's the theory BUT, we haven't been able to do such travels, at least not beyond sub-atomic level and even those were in very limited scopes, and just very recently.

What if we wanted to time travel in our own universe alone and not go to parallel universes? Well, because of the paradox rule, one can only go forward in time and not backwards in one universe. We might be able to observe the past though, as Xerino has mentioned.

Meh... time and time again proves that in the past, those that are close-minded are always wrong.  I rather believe than to be stuck in time :p  get my drift?

Time travel to the past with intent is impossible. Example: It's 2014 and you decide to go back in time and kill Hitler before WWII. When you kill Hitler, your 2014 self would not know about Hitler's participation in WWII, because he would be killed, therefore, you would not go back in time to kill Hitler because he would not exist. Since you don't go back in time to kill Hitler, Hitler still lives and WWII happens exactly the way it was.

Time travel to past without intent is really hard. It's really hard NOT to think of what you're going to do when you travel back in time, and if you don't do proper planning, you could have drastic effects of what happens after the past, maybe even preventing you from going back in time in the first place.

And this is assuming you're not breaking the laws of physics in the process of time travel.

Time travel into the future will not affect the events before and up to the point of time travel, so theoretically, you could do that, but you're doing that anyway.

I would recommend reading http://web.mit.edu/bskow/www/research/sec-per-sec.pdf to understand that time is relative, and then I would recommend reading the endless relativity related articles on Wikipedia.

One theory I read on this matter involves the theory that anything that could possibly happen has done so in a parallel universe.  For example, in this reality, you may choose to order a hamburger for dinner, while in another parallel universe, you chose to have a steak.  So for example, if you are able to travel back in time to say kill Hitler, this would create a parallel universe and not effect the reality in which you left.  This would also explain why there hasn't been any time paradoxes due to people travelling back in time and changing events.  They may have done so, but the events lead to an alternate reality.

There is a video I watched in youtube channel, minute physics or such, I forgot..

But they were explaining a theory, where, if the universe has a limited number of atom, then via theory, permutation and combination, atoms at certain point of the time, will align same as today's state.. They are bond to as per the theory.. So what that mean ?? Back in time or same thing repeating in a different time ??

Even if you travel back in time, how can the time stop ?? Since for you, the time is going forward but it just the space has aligned it self to a value, which it has previously at some point of the time were..

How many times are there ?? If there is a single time, then if you travel back in time, then which time are you following ?? If there is multiple time, then you are not traveling back in time but rather the space is aligning it self to a state which it already have done at certainly point of a actual time..

There is a lot question which is not yet answered hence it's hard for illiterate mind like me to think forward..

So, rightly said, think about the energy it would require to force the entire space to align itself to a previous value..

Now going into the future ?? What we know is, if you simple hibernate your self and wait for 100 years to past, you are in future :P

As an individual with a PhD in Physic the only answer on my mind is, "Hell No."

You should spend some time in History classes, specially, history about the space, flight and everything else, where people like to said hell no but in their own life time, that became reality..

You and I can't imagine a way, but that doesn't mean its impossible... Some where down the future, some brilliant mind may be holding the answer.

Space is too large and so is our imagination.. May be at some corner, some other civilization is practicing time travel :D

Open-minded or close-minded, laws of the universe remain in place. No matter how open-minded, you cannot make a frying pan out of chocolate.

Who's law ??

Our law ?? or universal law ??

If its our law, in that case some other civilization may have a different law, valid as per their understanding and intellect..

If its universal law, in that case who are we alone to fix it without arguing with others ?? by others, I meant the yet to discover or hidden by gov distance civilizations..

Here in earth also, even if you discover something, that doesn't become law unless you argue with scientific community and prove it to them as per their understanding..

[My body is ready]

All of the problems associated with time travel (paradoxes, parallel universes, discrepancies in two or more scientific theories, et cetera) can be solved if we look beyond our preconceived notions about "time" and the universe. I do not believe that "time" exists in objective reality.

Open-minded or close-minded, laws of the universe remain in place. No matter how open-minded, you cannot make a frying pan out of chocolate.

You watch me make a frying pan out of chocolate.

You'll see....

:shiftyninja:

[My body is ready]

All of the problems associated with time travel (paradoxes, parallel universes, discrepancies in two or more scientific theories, et cetera) can be solved if we look beyond our preconceived notions about "time" and the universe. I do not believe that "time" exists in objective reality.

You're going to need to expound on that last sentence.

Look at it this way, time is the distance that particles need to pass to reach the state and position in the universe that they're in at the moment. In order to go back, a mechanism would need to be discovered that sets back the particles back to a specific state and position, not just by moving them back to said state / position, but also reversing the changes that they had suffered throughout their journey.

So, nope.

Look at it this way, time is the distance that particles need to pass to reach the state and position in the universe that they're in at the moment. In order to go back, a mechanism would need to be discovered that sets back the particles back to a specific state and position, not just by moving them back to said state / position, but also reversing the changes that they had suffered throughout their journey.

So, nope.

But naturally it will happen one day..

Space has finite number of particles and they will some day run out of number of state in which they can be unique and they are bond to rearrange them self to a state which they previously were.. Distance between these two state is huge but they will some day do it..

Who's law ??

Our law ?? or universal law ??

If its our law, in that case some other civilization may have a different law, valid as per their understanding and intellect..

If its universal law, in that case who are we alone to fix it without arguing with others ?? by others, I meant the yet to discover or hidden by gov distance civilizations..

Here in earth also, even if you discover something, that doesn't become law unless you argue with scientific community and prove it to them as per their understanding..

That doesn't even make sense. Care to rewrite it?

The laws of physics are not CREATED by us, or anyone for that matter. They are in place and working all the time. We can only discover them not create them. It has nothing to do with civilizations and whatnot.

Because Einstien said "Time is reletive to the observer". I've always felt that sleeping was a bit like time travel. You observe the time say at 9PM then while asleep there is no observation of time. You wake up again to observe its 6am. Eureka! Time Travel! :woot:

5th of July.  Yes, I believe in time travel, pretty sure I drank myself into the stone age last night.  

Jokes aside, I like to keep an open mind.  Science comes up with new stuff all the time that was previously thought impossible.. if anything instead of saying "impossible" I prefer to think of things like this as "not yet."

• Like 2

Time travel is possible - in our minds. Everything we ever experienced is in our heads, waiting to be experienced again.

Real time travel? As much as I love Doctor Who, I have to say no, at least based on our current understanding of physics. That may change, but probably not in our lifetimes.

Which is a shame, because I'd love to go back to 2007 and tell myself to ask out a certain blonde.

I believe in time travel, in fact, you're doing it right now when you're reading this message! You're already 3 seconds further in time. And I'm serious: I do believe time travel is possible, and that has been proven, you just have to move.

You're going to need to expound on that last sentence.

Certainly, Siah1214. I will do so . . . just not yet. I will have the document posted soon.

(Note that I although I reject the traditional concept of time, I cannot describe events, actions, without some sort of reference. Please disregard the fact that I use words and phrases associated with time in this post.)

I believe in time travel, in fact, you're doing it right now when you're reading this message! You're already 3 seconds further in time. And I'm serious: I do believe time travel is possible, and that has been proven, you just have to move.

How is that going further into the future? It is simply movement.