HP DV7-2185dx (2180us) HDD replacement.

I have an HP DV7-2185dx (Best Buy version of the DV7-2180US) that I use for some tasks at home and as a backup machine. The hard drive has started sounding like an engine about to throw a rod, so I need to replace it. The machine remains off to prevent further damage.

The problem is, no matter where I look, I find different specs for the drive. Usually, it is SATA or SATA II, but I've also seen ATA-7 listed. UGH! Does anyone have any idea as to whether this is SATA, SATA II, or whatever? I don't want to disassemble the machine until I have the hard drive replacement, since I work out of town and am only home on weekends, and my wife would probably not want me leaving a disassembled notebook on the dinner table.  :)

Thanks!

Unless you are doing heavy work on it, speed REALLY does not matter. What size drive do you need? 5400, I'm guessing?  Ever consider a SSD? Budget?

I have an SSD I will install, but I need the space of the 500GB drive and don't wish to spend the additional money for a 512GB SSD on a machine that is not used heavily (but is important.) In this case, speed isn't critical. It has a 5400 rpm 500 GB drive now.

Thanks, TSupersonic. It's been a while since I dealt with hardware and wasn't sure, but I thought that was likely the case.