[PHP] [SQL] New site, classes and CRUD

Question

I am building a site for a friend, and have just mapped out the base data classes, the objects and their properties.

While I am fully adept at creating this all in the right fashion within PHP and SQL, are there any tools that can do it for me?  Make all my CRUD procedures, PHP class files and so on?

Cheers

2 answers to this question

Sounds like you might be looking for an ORM. An ORM will typically work by having you define your objects as ORM objects, and the ORM library will then create the corresponding SQL queries when you run a "Save()" method or similar.

A few examples from a quick Google:

Can't say I've used any of them personally, but I know that the ActiveRecord design pattern has been around for a great many years and I used it successfully a few years ago (although I didn't use an ORM). My experience with ORMs in the past however has always been that they work for basic CRUD applications, but anything more complex and they become more hassle than they're worth. They are highly useful for basic applications though so it might be right up your street if you're not doing anything too complex.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1