Photo

ASUS RT-AC66U worth it ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:57

I currently own and use a Linksys WRT160N w/ DD-WRT installed. It's running great. No bugs and no bandwidth issues.

I'm a geek and like upgrading my stuff every once in a while. I like to fiddle with 3rd party firmwares, etc.

The Asus is very tempting to buy but it might prove to be an expensive upgrade (200$+tx) for something I do not necessarely need.

Is there any advantages to owning that one over what I already have ? Things I might not be aware of ?

Thanks

#2 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:58

I have one and love it. Easy to update and the coverage is awesome. No bugs, no bandwidth issues and no dropped signals.

#3 OP xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:01

I have one and love it. Easy to update and the coverage is awesome. No bugs, no bandwidth issues and no dropped signals.

Your post reminds me that I have a wired connection to my router because of signal issues I used to have. Especially channel related problems. Dual-band would fix this and my wife would love to see that cable gone :)

#4 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:07

Compared to what you have now - a rock with a string wrapped around it would be worth it....so yeah the ASUS would be a nice little upgrade.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course if you dont have anything that uses AC - then - its a little misguided upgraded

#5 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:12

And the interface for configuring the router is really simple, yet sophisticated... two thumbs up. (Y) (Y)

#6 badb0y

badb0y

I'm Bad!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:15

If you wanna buy something decent then go for this : Cisco - Aironet Wireless LAN Controller, $66,369.19 FREE SHIPPING included.

#7 OP xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:20

Compared to what you have now - a rock with a string wrapped around it would be worth it....so yeah the ASUS would be a nice little upgrade.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course if you dont have anything that uses AC - then - its a little misguided upgraded

How so ? I already said I had zero issues with it. Yea there might be advantages but not to that point.

Good point. the N66U would be a better pick for my needs as far as AC goes.

#8 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:14

I too was looking to upgrade to an ASUS router but like you couldn't justify the cost.

The RT-AC68U supersedes the RT-AC66U and the former will soon be seded by the RT-AC87U