ASUS RT-AC66U worth it ?

I currently own and use a Linksys WRT160N w/ DD-WRT installed. It's running great. No bugs and no bandwidth issues.

I'm a geek and like upgrading my stuff every once in a while. I like to fiddle with 3rd party firmwares, etc.

The Asus is very tempting to buy but it might prove to be an expensive upgrade (200$+tx) for something I do not necessarely need.

Is there any advantages to owning that one over what I already have ? Things I might not be aware of ?

Thanks

I have one and love it. Easy to update and the coverage is awesome. No bugs, no bandwidth issues and no dropped signals.

I have one and love it. Easy to update and the coverage is awesome. No bugs, no bandwidth issues and no dropped signals.

Your post reminds me that I have a wired connection to my router because of signal issues I used to have. Especially channel related problems. Dual-band would fix this and my wife would love to see that cable gone :)

Compared to what you have now - a rock with a string wrapped around it would be worth it....so yeah the ASUS would be a nice little upgrade.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course if you dont have anything that uses AC - then - its a little misguided upgraded

And the interface for configuring the router is really simple, yet sophisticated... two thumbs up. (Y) (Y)

Compared to what you have now - a rock with a string wrapped around it would be worth it....so yeah the ASUS would be a nice little upgrade.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course if you dont have anything that uses AC - then - its a little misguided upgraded

How so ? I already said I had zero issues with it. Yea there might be advantages but not to that point.

Good point. the N66U would be a better pick for my needs as far as AC goes.

I too was looking to upgrade to an ASUS router but like you couldn't justify the cost.

The RT-AC68U supersedes the RT-AC66U and the former will soon be seded by the RT-AC87U