• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:14

The Kinect 2.0 may have split from the Xbox One, but it will be ready to find new love with PC partners soon. A Microsoft Store listing highlights a July 15 release date for the Xbox logo-less, PC-compatible 3D camera, meaning we can put Xbox head Phil Spencer's beliefthat people will still buy the Kinect to the test as soon as next week.

The PC version of the Kinect 2 boasts a price tag of a not-insignificant $200 - $100 more than the price difference between a Kinect-less Xbox One and an Xbox One with the peripheral pack-in.

Link

#2 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:20

I personally think $200 is a bit steep... But then again, I'm not talented enough to wield Kinect 2.0 mystical powers into something useful either. Those who do posses the talent to do something good with it, may not even blink an eye and shell out the funds to grab one.

Can't wait to see people's ideas wit Kinect v2

#3 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:37

I don't really see the point still.  No PC game devs have shown the slightest interest, so it'd be $200 for a good microphone array and nothing else.

#4 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:37

Would love to control my computer with a combination of voice and gestures and become a lazy 350lb sack of couch potato.

#5 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 06 July 2014 - 21:09

$200? So it'll probably be at least £120 here in the UK; basically the same as the original Kinect. They can get stuffed at that price. How about an adapter to enable Xbox One Kinects to work on the PC? My brother's disconnected his, so it'd be nice to make use of it.

#6 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 21:10

I don't really see the point still.  No PC game devs have shown the slightest interest, so it'd be $200 for a good microphone array and nothing else.

For games, this is true. But for other applications of the technology quite a few people have worked with Kinect in the past. I don't see why they wouldn't get Kinect 2.0 here for future development of applications and technology using it since it is better hardware (for the most part).

Frankly I'd love to see some sort of collaboration with the Occulus Rift guys. Heh.

#7 leagueofnotlegends

leagueofnotlegends

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2014 - 21:20

Price is a tad steep. Shame their is no way to connect to your PC, like you could the 360 one.

#8 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 July 2014 - 21:32

The $200 includes developers licenses so you can actually work with it. Unlike the Xbone Kinect, this one isn't just a toy.  It's meant for developers only at this point, not widespread adoption (same as google glass being $1500 but god knows if that'll actually come down)

Don't let facts get in the way of the hate train though. 

#9 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2014 - 21:37

Kinect was never good for games, Microsoft just keeps pushing it for gaming. The original Kinect was used for a lot of robotics and medical applications. Kinect 2 will be even better for that. 

#10 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 06 July 2014 - 21:56

Microsoft has already given up on it for Xbox One yet now they expect to sell it on PC, where it will have a fraction of the support? Good luck with that.

The technology is great but the support is terrible.

#11 Cnónna

Cnónna

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2014 - 22:05

$200? So it'll probably be at least £120 here in the UK; basically the same as the original Kinect. They can get stuffed at that price. How about an adapter to enable Xbox One Kinects to work on the PC? My brother's disconnected his, so it'd be nice to make use of it.

50 quid would be all i'd be willing to pay.

#12 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 06 July 2014 - 22:08

50 quid would be all i'd be willing to pay.

Ditto. That's how much I paid for the original Kinect.

#13 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:02

It seems like many people around here are unaware of Kinect's reach beyond the Xbox and gaming. Kinect 2.0, like the first pc release, was not priced to sell to consumers. It is priced to sell to developers. That could include game developers sure, but it'll likely be picked up by developers in many other fields, just as the first Kinect has been. Also, the original Kinect on pc was $250, so they shaved off a bit from the cost.

So some people should do a little research into the pc side of things before jumping to conclusions.

#14 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:17

The $200 includes developers licenses so you can actually work with it. Unlike the Xbone Kinect, this one isn't just a toy.  It's meant for developers only at this point, not widespread adoption (same as google glass being $1500 but god knows if that'll actually come down)

Don't let facts get in the way of the hate train though. 

The knife cuts both ways. Without a cheap consumer only option there aren't going to be many actual users at this stage. Without actual users it becomes a very hard case to make for developers to focus their energy on. Except in isolated cases like, for instance, a medical device that uses this inside of a medical setting...

For broad adoption you need a diverse and large user base to wake up us devs.

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:54

The knife cuts both ways. Without a cheap consumer only option there aren't going to be many actual users at this stage. Without actual users it becomes a very hard case to make for developers to focus their energy on. Except in isolated cases like, for instance, a medical device that uses this inside of a medical setting...

For broad adoption you need a diverse and large user base to wake up us devs.

They are not aiming for broad adoption.

MS knows consumers wont be buying Kinect as most people are not interested in it. So instead they focus on the smaller, but more profitable areas of usage. The first Kinect has been used heavily outside of gaming applications, so the new version should be a nice upgrade in those areas.

If MS was concerned about mass consumer adoption, they would offer a cheaper version without all the developer extras.