• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,539 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:02

Power it up, or leave it behind.

The Transportation Security Administration said Sunday that security screeners at overseas airports may ask U.S.-bound passengers to turn on their electronic devices to prove they work and aren't explosive devices.

They won't allow devices without power on board planes. The traveler may then undergo additional screening.

It's part of an update to security measures aimed at combating potential new threats from terrorists in the Middle East and Europe.
What caused new airport security moves?

Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed the TSA last week to enhance security at overseas airports that have direct flights to the United States. The specifics of the enhanced measures weren't originally released, and it isn't known what other measures the TSA may employ.

more & video

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,166 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:51

Bombs can be made small and compact and do a lot of damage.  So lets put a bomb in a working laptop and when the TSA sees the laptop is working, allow the bomb on the plane and bomb goes the dynamite.

#3 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,418 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:59

iPhone users will be happy.

#4 xrobwx

xrobwx

Neowinian

• 892 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 07 July 2014 - 13:03

I'm all for security but this ISIS and other groups (according to "the news") have released statements that they are going to blow up a US plane using an electronic device like a phone, laptop or tablet. Could this be another one of my favorite author Sun Tzu's misdirection? I'm not suggesting ignore the threat either.

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,554 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 13:10

What happens if I purchase a brand new electronics device (sealed in the box) and it doesn't come with batteries? :p

#6 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,609 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 13:25

What happens if I purchase a brand new electronics device (sealed in the box) and it doesn't come with batteries? :p

Some TSA agents kid is getting a shiny new toy to play with  :laugh:  :shiftyninja:

#7 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,180 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 13:29

Bombs can be made small and compact and do a lot of damage.  So lets put a bomb in a working laptop and when the TSA sees the laptop is working, allow the bomb on the plane and bomb goes the dynamite.

This post triggered on so many key words!

#8 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,960 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 July 2014 - 13:43

Kind of reminds me of the people that bought "cheap" Chinese 500GB hard drives.  You connect it up and it shows up as having the space but when you actually try to put information on it it's a small USB drive with some weights in the case.

gsmarena_002.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena...ake-them-apart/

I imagine they would make something that can turn on a screen and show something.

#9 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 1,675 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 07 July 2014 - 19:07

Kind of reminds me of the people that bought "cheap" Chinese 500GB hard drives.  You connect it up and it shows up as having the space but when you actually try to put information on it it's a small USB drive with some weights in the case.

gsmarena_002.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena...ake-them-apart/

I imagine they would make something that can turn on a screen and show something.

So the TSA agent goes on the airport's public WIFI and goes to his favorite web site, so he can see that it's a functional computer.

Little does he realize the laptop has an old netbook motherboard, and the rest of the case is filled with C4 . . .

It's an ever-escalating game, but unfortunately one that has to be played. This is a minor inconvenience, but does make it more difficult for the terrorists. Until they find a workaround . . .

#10 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,911 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 19:20

Yeay, something else to make the lines even longer, and more stuff the TSA officer can bitch about.

Hope they can only ask you to turn the device on and this doesn't give them the right to start snooping around on your devices.

#11 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,103 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:35

I guess the most important question is "Can I plug it in to show you that I am not here to Jihad?"
I mean bloody heck, few laptops will last a flight from/to Europe for example.

Edited by _Alexander, 08 July 2014 - 04:36.

#12 Ian William

Ian William

Open 24 hours.

• 1,292 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:44

Honestly, I do not see anything wrong with this. I am glad that the Transportation Security Administration is taking more steps to protect the country.

#13 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,842 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:53

How fortunate that most threats to American lives come from outside the country.......

#14 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:54

But isn't an explosive device a powered electronic device? so they should let that on board right? lol

#15 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 933 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:57

This post triggered on so many key words!

Did you feel the server slow down for a split second, and that ultra-fast little glitch ?  Yeah, that was the Carnivore program attaching to that post - it now owns neowin !!!