TSA won't allow unpowered Electronics on planes

Power it up, or leave it behind.

The Transportation Security Administration said Sunday that security screeners at overseas airports may ask U.S.-bound passengers to turn on their electronic devices to prove they work and aren't explosive devices.

They won't allow devices without power on board planes. The traveler may then undergo additional screening.

It's part of an update to security measures aimed at combating potential new threats from terrorists in the Middle East and Europe.
What caused new airport security moves?

Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed the TSA last week to enhance security at overseas airports that have direct flights to the United States. The specifics of the enhanced measures weren't originally released, and it isn't known what other measures the TSA may employ.

more & video

Bombs can be made small and compact and do a lot of damage.  So lets put a bomb in a working laptop and when the TSA sees the laptop is working, allow the bomb on the plane and bomb goes the dynamite.

I'm all for security but this ISIS and other groups (according to "the news") have released statements that they are going to blow up a US plane using an electronic device like a phone, laptop or tablet. Could this be another one of my favorite author Sun Tzu's misdirection? I'm not suggesting ignore the threat either.

• Like 2

What happens if I purchase a brand new electronics device (sealed in the box) and it doesn't come with batteries? :p

Some TSA agents kid is getting a shiny new toy to play with  :laugh:  :shiftyninja:

Bombs can be made small and compact and do a lot of damage.  So lets put a bomb in a working laptop and when the TSA sees the laptop is working, allow the bomb on the plane and bomb goes the dynamite.

This post triggered on so many key words!

Kind of reminds me of the people that bought "cheap" Chinese 500GB hard drives.  You connect it up and it shows up as having the space but when you actually try to put information on it it's a small USB drive with some weights in the case.

gsmarena_002.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena.com/how-do-you-spot-fake-chinese-usb-hard-drives-well-you-take-them-apart/

I imagine they would make something that can turn on a screen and show something.

Kind of reminds me of the people that bought "cheap" Chinese 500GB hard drives.  You connect it up and it shows up as having the space but when you actually try to put information on it it's a small USB drive with some weights in the case.

gsmarena_002.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena.com/how-do-you-spot-fake-chinese-usb-hard-drives-well-you-take-them-apart/

I imagine they would make something that can turn on a screen and show something.

So the TSA agent goes on the airport's public WIFI and goes to his favorite web site, so he can see that it's a functional computer.

Little does he realize the laptop has an old netbook motherboard, and the rest of the case is filled with C4 . . .

It's an ever-escalating game, but unfortunately one that has to be played. This is a minor inconvenience, but does make it more difficult for the terrorists. Until they find a workaround . . .

Yeay, something else to make the lines even longer, and more stuff the TSA officer can bitch about.

Hope they can only ask you to turn the device on and this doesn't give them the right to start snooping around on your devices.

I guess the most important question is "Can I plug it in to show you that I am not here to Jihad?"

I mean bloody heck, few laptops will last a flight from/to Europe for example.

Honestly, I do not see anything wrong with this. I am glad that the Transportation Security Administration is taking more steps to protect the country.

But isn't an explosive device a powered electronic device? so they should let that on board right? lol

This post triggered on so many key words!

Did you feel the server slow down for a split second, and that ultra-fast little glitch ?  Yeah, that was the Carnivore program attaching to that post - it now owns neowin !!!

Did you feel the server slow down for a split second, and that ultra-fast little glitch ?  Yeah, that was the Carnivore program attaching to that post - it now owns neowin !!!

Yep that's why I choose my words carefully

Now read this one..  :laugh:

Yep that's why I choose my words carefully

Now read this one..  :laugh:

Ever get that feeling you are being watched ?   yeah..... :gulp:

Ever get that feeling you are being watched ?   yeah..... :gulp:

Having thought about it I shouldn't have quoted that post so much :laugh:

Attn: Mr NSA guys watching this thread:

I love the USA, would never take arms against her, think Snowden was bad, ANONYMOUS is a group of bad people, and think the Gov't should be able to do what it wants.... and dont hurt warwagon either - hes nice too.  

Thanks

Whew!  That should keep us safe ;)

• Like 2

This shouldn't be an issue if it gets scanned. My carry on gets checked all the time due to my mechanical mod, then I show them how it works.

What should be an issue is TSA Pre-Check. I have it, but yes I'm still worried about who gets it.

This shouldn't be an issue if it gets scanned. My carry on gets checked all the time due to my mechanical mod, then I show them how it works.

What should be an issue is TSA Pre-Check. I have it, but yes I'm still worried about who gets it.

Explain "mechanical mod" please

Honestly, I do not see anything wrong with this. I am glad that the Transportation Security Administration is taking more steps to protect the country.

How does this me you safer?

Firstly, as any Chinese company making fakes can tell you. Its easy to make a working dummy with cheap small parts. Take the case of a galaxy mega or one of those other stupidly big phones, ad a cheap low rest screen and a tiny bitter and the electronics of a cheap slow compact smartphone. And you have lots of room for explosives, even easier and more explosive on large tablets and laptops.

Secondly all airports are replacing the useless body scanners with chem sniffers that will detect all kinds of explosives and gun powder.

This is another one of TSAs fake and perceived safety that only provides jobs to TSA agents and slow down travelers.