What IDE to use?

37 replies to this topic

#1 +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 July 2014 - 16:21

For html, css, php, python, databases, what IDE do you guys use, preferably open source? 

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 07 July 2014 - 16:25

Open source, probably Eclipse.. but for Python, PHP, CSS and HTML I'm a huge fan of the JetBrains IDE's.. PyCharm/WebStorm/PHPStorm are very good, you can use one for the others too, each one has a "primary focus" but can work with other project types too.. for example you can add PHP support to PyCharm and so on. Runs on all major OS's.  Leaves Eclipse in the dust in my opinion.  

#3 +theblazingangel

theblazingangel

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 07 July 2014 - 16:43

What platform? Windows? Linux??

For html/css/php I just used notepad for a long time. I wanted to switch to something with syntax highlighting and auto-indentation but I didn't really like anything out there, then brackets came along.

I don't do much at all in python currently, but I'd probably use brackets or notepad. Notepad++ is also popular, it's a free, open-source and much more powerful alternative to notepad.

For databases, there's PhpMyAdmin for MySQL and PhpPgAdmin for postgresql.

For C/C++ I use Visual Studio. Other options here include Netbeans and Eclipse, which are both open-source and I'd say are fairly popular (are they not, people?).

#4 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 07 July 2014 - 17:10

For basic syntax highlighting and stuff, Notepad++ is really good. I use it for all my general hacking needs. On Linux, the nearest equivalent is probably Geany or Gedit.

Going a bit more advanced, I've found Netbeans quite good for more heavyweight editing. To me it always feels snappier than Eclipse, albeit more restrictive. The downside is that the project (dispite being open source), is run by Oracle. Alternatively Eclipse or Aptana (which is based on Eclipse) work well for HTML/JS/CSS/PHP editing.

For SQL, I can't say I've used much outside of SQL Server Management Studio with MSSQL, and PhpMyAdmin + Notepad++ for MySql/MariaDB.

#5 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:50

Open source, probably Eclipse.. but for Python, PHP, CSS and HTML I'm a huge fan of the JetBrains IDE's.. PyCharm/WebStorm/PHPStorm are very good, you can use one for the others too, each one has a "primary focus" but can work with other project types too.. for example you can add PHP support to PyCharm and so on. Runs on all major OS's.  Leaves Eclipse in the dust in my opinion.  

Yep, JetBrains' products are awesome. Target multiple platforms and run the IDE on multiple platforms too. I've standardised on IntelliJ & friends for anything that doesn't require Xcode or Visual Studio.

Vim is my fallback for anything that IntelliJ doesn't support.

#6 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:09

Target multiple platforms and run the IDE on multiple platforms too.

I personally got spoiled by the remote interpreter/debugger/Vagrant support.   :wub:  Most of the languages I work with run just fine on my Windows boxes (Python, Scala for giggles, etc) and it's my desktop of choice so no biggie there but when I'm dealing with a Windows-phobic language like Ruby, no thanks, not enough aspirin in the world for that, I just let it use an interpreter on another machine that's already running.  Once you set it up you'll barely notice that program you just wrote is really running elsewhere.

Not a fan of VIM though, never could get into that one.  I have Sublime Text as my fallback for quick and dirty.

#7 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:35

Eclipse (Luna) with DLTK.

#8 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:11

Not a fan of VIM though, never could get into that one.  I have Sublime Text as my fallback for quick and dirty.

I first got into Vim when I started getting RSI in my right wrist. These days I mouse with my left hand at work, and with my right hand at home to try and reduce the strain. I also sometimes use a trackpad and a trackball and I've spent too much money on keyboards. My work depends on my ability to type and I can't afford to screw up my wrists.

Vim has a very rich movement language and allows me to spend more time on the keyboard. I don't need to touch the mouse while editing text and this helps with RSI. The good news is that all the IDEs and editors that I care about have a Vim plugin.

As for the actual editor itself, it's showing its age these days. I've toyed with Sublime Text (it has a Vim plugin) but haven't really felt compelled to switch. It's a big time investment to switch to a new editor ecosystem.

#9 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2014 - 18:21

Vim for me too. I can do everything from inside it, such as running make, scripts, shell commands, debugging, file system management (:Explore) etc so I guess you can label it an IDE. Although I tend to use it with Screen anyway, so it's not really necessary.

I'm not that keen on traditional IDE's myself, but if I have to recommend any, I'd probably say Geany, Eclipse, or Anjuta. I prefer Geany because it's more barebones doesn't get in your way too much.

#10 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 14 July 2014 - 18:49

Notepad++ on Windows & gedit / vim on Linux.

#11 roosevelt

roosevelt

Neowinian

Posted 16 July 2014 - 17:47

For web development if you are mostly going to be working on the backend then I highly recommend that you go with SublimeText (free to use) and/or the IDEs by Jetbrains. Jetbrains is da'facto IDEs for the web. And if you want to be a full stack and want to tackle the front-end design or the UIs then Dreamweaver would be a good choice. But a good opensource alternative to Dreamweaver would Brackets!

#12 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 July 2014 - 20:12

Visual Studio with Web Essentials is without a question: beast mode.

#13 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 16 July 2014 - 20:16

Free : Aptana Studio

Not free : JetBrains products

#14 guitmz

guitmz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 16 July 2014 - 20:17

Use Sublime for the win! There's also Atom, Komodo Edit, Gedit, Scratch (linux), etc all of them are good

#15 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 July 2014 - 16:18

Honestly I tried all suggested here.. Eclipse, Netbeans, Dreamweaver, Aptana and I still use Sublime for quick edits but they are all meh compared to IntelliJ.

Try PhpStorm or IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate (maybe an overkill) and you will never use anything else. 

PHP PhpStorm is amazing for exclusively web development. It has plugins for anything you might need SASS, LESS, Mongo, Node etc etc.. But the best part is it also has superior:

1. Syncing / Deployment

2. Integrated Wordpress support (Automattic guys use it for development)

3. Database viewer/designer and SQL editor

4. Direct terminal access (so you can use it directly in the IDE)

5. Super fast

The downside is that it's not free.. but it's absolutely the best (They do have the community edition though which is free)

If you want to do Java and other stuff IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate is the powerhouse. It has EVERYTHING. You will never leave the IDE. 

As far as IDE, I found after using it for a long time (still fire it from time to time) is the best rounded web centric development IDE. Eclipse/Aptana (based on Eclipse) and Netbeans though adding some additional things for coding particularly are pretty cumbersome. 

Sublime is really an editor with some plugins to emulate the IDE environment but it's a pain in the *** . It's a good editor, don't get me wrong, but setting things up and making it an environment to work with as effectively is the pain that I mentioned.