What IDE to use?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:54

And there is even VsVIM (for those that use Visual Studio that actually prefer vim) - it is available for 2012 and later (including both the new Community Edition and the CTP for VS14 - which CAN coexist by-the-by).

So far, Community Edition may well be a 2013 - if not 2014 - Professional killer, for the rather surprising reason that I have seen exactly diddly-squit in the 2014 CTP that 2013 Community lacks (for non-enterprise development)  And, rather amusingly, that is quite aside from the one HUNDRED percent discount.

The only real quibble (and even that isn't Visual Studio's fault) is the Hyper-V requirement for the emulators; however, said quibble is exactly that.  There are PLENTY of inexpensive CPUs (and APUs, if you prefer AMD) that support Hyper-V - you can bundle a Haswell-based Intel PentiumG-3258 and Z97 ATX motherboard for $99USD at any Micro Center location in the US.  (That is *less* than an OEM/System Builder copy of Windows 7 Professional or later, by the by.)

#47 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:03

People get certified for IDE use now? What't the point of that?

It lets the hiring manager know how to at least open it and click run, or F5.

:p

#48 sorlag

sorlag

Evoke the fire within

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:51

Honestly I tried all suggested here.. Eclipse, Netbeans, Dreamweaver, Aptana and I still use Sublime for quick edits but they are all meh compared to IntelliJ.

Try PhpStorm or IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate (maybe an overkill) and you will never use anything else. 

PHP PhpStorm is amazing for exclusively web development. It has plugins for anything you might need SASS, LESS, Mongo, Node etc etc.. But the best part is it also has superior:

1. Syncing / Deployment

2. Integrated Wordpress support (Automattic guys use it for development)

3. Database viewer/designer and SQL editor

4. Direct terminal access (so you can use it directly in the IDE)

5. Super fast

The downside is that it's not free.. but it's absolutely the best (They do have the community edition though which is free)

If you want to do Java and other stuff IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate is the powerhouse. It has EVERYTHING. You will never leave the IDE. 

As far as IDE, I found after using it for a long time (still fire it from time to time) is the best rounded web centric development IDE. Eclipse/Aptana (based on Eclipse) and Netbeans though adding some additional things for coding particularly are pretty cumbersome. 

Sublime is really an editor with some plugins to emulate the IDE environment but it's a pain in the *** . It's a good editor, don't get me wrong, but setting things up and making it an environment to work with as effectively is the pain that I mentioned.

PhpStorm is nice, but i can't use it to load/save projects that are on my NAS, because it does not handle network shares with its strange non windows file dialogs...

#49 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 November 2014 - 21:51

PhpStorm is nice, but i can't use it to load/save projects that are on my NAS, because it does not handle network shares with its strange non windows file dialogs...

Just mount your network share as a virtual drive (or use mklink to map to a virtual folder)? I have no problem accessing PHPStorm/Rubymine projects on my network drives:
net use X: \\HDDName\ShareName

#50 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:51

Just mount your network share as a virtual drive (or use mklink to map to a virtual folder)? I have no problem accessing PHPStorm/Rubymine projects on my network drives:

net use X: \\HDDName\ShareName

Or add the PHP extensions for Visual Studio (2012 and later).

Alternatively, you can use Windows Server 2012 (including R2) as your development platform - no, I'm not kidding.

Like Windows 8 (which is based on the same code) it supports Hyper-V - unlike Windows 8, it does not require Extended Processor Tables support.

Further, unlike Windows Server 2008 or earlier, it does NOT require pruning via third-party software to be used as a solid development platform.

I keep Server 2012R2 around primarily BECAUSE it actually makes more sense as a development platform than Windows 8.1 does - a rather strange thing to say about a server OS.

I'm installing the Apache Cordova extensions for Visual Studio right now (required for the Android Emulator and Android Development in VS Community/VS 14 Preview) in my 2012R2 partition, where it will co-exist alongside the other tools in the toolset.

Yes - that means that Yosemite has (for now) been kicked to the curb - however, that is due to lack of drives (for now).