Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rippleman

82 shot, 14 fatally, over holiday weekend

91 posts in this topic

Report: 82 shot, 14 fatally, over holiday weekend in Chicago

portage-park.jpg

Officers at the scene of a shooting in Chicago's Portage Park neighborhood.  CBS CHICAGO

Last Updated Jul 7, 2014 3:00 PM EDT

CHICAGO - Police are dealing with the fallout from some unexpected fireworks over the past few days in Chicago. Eighty-two people were shot, 14 of them fatally, over the long Fourth of July weekend, according to the Chicago Tribune. The string of incidents kicked off in the afternoon on Thursday.

Five of the shootings involved police, reports CBS Chicago, and two male teens were killed by officers in separate incidents.

Watch: "48 Hours:" The War in Chicago

In the most recent fatal shooting, an unidentified 44-year-old woman was shot at a barbecue around 12:30 a.m. Monday in the city's Morgan Park neighborhood, according to the station. She was shot as she leaned into a car in a parking lot and was pronounced dead at the scene.

"While to date we have had the fewest murders since 1963, one victim is too many and there is clearly much more work to be done," said police spokesman Martin Maloney.

Dozens of others were wounded in shootings throughout the holiday weekend.

"We will keep building on our strategy, putting more officers on the street in summer months, proactively intervening in gang conflicts," Maloney said, according to CBS Chicago. "Yet, even with the best police and the best policing strategy in the world, without better state and federal laws to keep guns off the streets and out of the hands of dangerous criminals, we'll continue to face an uphill battle."

Ross Rice, a security consultant for CBS Chicago, told the station the violence over the weekend speaks to a larger problem.

"I think it is representative of the gang, drug, gun violence problem that still persists in Chicago," Rice said. "It's not a law enforcement problem solely. There's not going to be a law enforcement solution to this. You can't arrest your way out of gang violence."

Sixteen-year-old Warren Robinson was shot dead by police just three days shy of his 17th birthday, according to CBS Chicago. After being chased by officers on Saturday evening, he was found hiding under a car by authorities. Police said officers told Robinson several times to drop his gun as he was getting out from under the vehicle. He allegedly refused the command and officers said they shot him to defend themselves.

The boy's mother, Georgiana Utendahl, said her son was not armed. Some witnesses said Robinson kept his hands in the air the entire time, a claim that police refute.

"They shot him over twenty times," Utendahl told the station. "They are trying to say he had a gun on him and he didn't have a gun on him."

On Friday, 14-year-old Pedro Rios was fatally shot when he allegedly pointed a revolver at officers responding to a call of a person with a gun.

Rice said it is more difficult than people think for officers in these types of situations.

"I think there's a disconnect between people watching TV shows and watching movies, and it doesn't translate into real life for them," Rice told CBS Chicago. "They don't realize that the police can't shoot the gun out of your hand like they do in the westerns, or the police aren't going to be able to wound you, or they can't fire a warning shot. It's serious business."

The Independent Police Review Authority was investigating the police-involved shootings. The Chicago Police Department released a statement, saying, "Officers do not relish using a weapon in the course of their work, but... they must do what is best to protect themselves and the public they serve."

As of early Monday morning, the station reports no one was in custody for any of the weekend shootings.

? 2014 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

but there was that one vet hero that killed a gunman the other day.. so that wins over all.... /S /S /S

7 people like this

I don't see what the point of posting this stuff is anymore. It seems like Neowin is getting overrun with gun violence threads lately and of course most are posted by people outside of the US. Americans get accused all the time of butting into the business of other countries, why do you people care about what's going on here?

10 people like this

I don't see what the point of posting this stuff is anymore. It seems like Neowin is getting overrun with gun violence threads lately and of course most are posted by people outside of the US. Americans get accused all the time of butting into the business of other countries, why do you people care about what's going on here?

Why do you care, that people from other countries care about what's going on there?

You think the other topics about "heroic veterans" are in good spirits? Hell no they're not. They're just posting those topics to say "I told you so" to the anti gun side.. so what's it matter if someone from the anti gun side posts a story showing the opposite? 

1 person likes this

Because that's what hypocrites do.  Of course, when their country is in trouble, who do they want to come save their behinds?  Hint: It's not one of those countries that don't have guns.

Why do you care, that people from other countries care about what's going on there?

You think the other topics about "heroic veterans" are in good spirits? Hell no they're not. They're just posting those topics to say "I told you so" to the anti gun side.. so what's it matter if someone from the anti gun side posts a story showing the opposite? 

I'm tired of seeing all of them here.

1 person likes this

Most of the recent topics have been created by the pro-gun Americans. . . . one of these was created hours ago.

Most of the recent topics have been created by the pro-gun Americans. . . . one of these was created hours ago.

See my post above yours. 

Thankfully, you have options when it comes to visiting this site and opening threads. Exercise them.

2 people like this

See my post above yours. 

I do not disagree with you. I am tired of seeing them as well. I just wanted to point out that the most recent topics were not created by individuals outside of the U.S.

No one forces you to click on it. I consistently everyday do not click on things I do not wish to read. 

2 people like this

Thankfully, you have options when it comes to visiting this site and opening threads. Exercise them.

I usually don't, but I grow tired of seeing them in the recent topics and spy sections.

No one forces you to click on it. I consistently everyday do not click on things I do not wish to read. 

As do I, there's just been a very large amount of them recently. I don't come here for that stuff and it's the majority of what I have seen recently. I just don't understand what you are trying to do or change by posting something like this on Neowin...doesn't seem like the correct forum (no pun intended :) ) to me.

I'm to the point where I don't even bother reading the stories any more.  I'm so disillusioned with this argument.  I own several guns, and support the right of sane citizens to own them as well.  Any politician who disagrees with me is welcome to try and take mine away from me.  Until that day, I'm done arguing with people who are obviously just as staunch in their beliefs as I am.

1 person likes this

As do I, there's just been a very large amount of them recently.

maybe since its a huge everyday problem that gets the worlds attention, if you look at the religion thread, its the same thing. people love to talk/chat/debate/learn. 

I just don't understand what you are trying to do or change by posting something like this on Neowin...

If a person posted something about a "tech" article, would that have a higher chance of changing something?

maybe since its a huge everyday problem that gets the worlds attention, if you look at the religion thread, its the same thing. people love to talk/chat/debate/learn. 

My point is why does it matter here. I feel the same way about religious topics.

If a person posted something about a "tech" article, would that have a higer chance of changing something?

It would be on topic and possibly serve a purpose at least. What purpose does this article serve here on this internet forum where nobody cares about anybody else's feelings on political (or religious) topics like this? You aren't going to change the mind of anyone on the opposite side of the issue as you, if you want to preach peace and harmony maybe you should look into joining the Peace Corps or starting a foundation or something like that, instead of sitting in front of your keyboard copying and pasting news articles like this. At least then you would be doing something about this issue you care so much about and I wouldn't have to filter through this crap.

I'm to the point where I don't even bother reading the stories any more.  I'm so disillusioned with this argument.  I own several guns, and support the right of sane citizens to own them as well.

Well yes, although I would argue that "sane" is a pretty low standard. I'd like to think that legal gun owners would be safe, responsible, well trained & 100% liable for any miss-use of their firearms. I mean bad gun ownership is just bad for all gun owners right.

Any politician who disagrees with me is welcome to try and take mine away from me.

I am sure an insane person would say the same thing :huh:. The suggestion that you'd go to "war" over the ownersip of your firearms is somewhat disconcerting.

2 people like this

Chicago is a beautiful place and has super strict gun control. These are just stories to make Chicago look like a horrible place.

It is totally a utopia like Oakland California or Detroit. People from other countries will never see their true beauty first hand.

1 person likes this

Blame weak gun laws for holiday violence, Chicago's top cop says

Chicago's police superintendent lashed out at what he called lax state and federal gun laws after a violent Fourth of July weekend that saw more than 60 people shot and nine killed in a city already known for frequent shootings.

"There has to come a tipping point where this changes," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said Monday of the violence. "The illogical nature of what's happening here -- that government can intercede and prevent this from happening is overwhelming. And I refuse to think otherwise in a great country like America that we can continue to allow this to happen -- not just on a state, but on a federal level."

McCarthy, reciting the criminal histories of several of the suspects in this weekend's violence, noted gang members face tougher consequences for losing their guns from their gangs than from authorities.

"Possession of a loaded firearm -- it's not even considered a violent felony in the state of Illinois for sentencing purposes -- which is why you see the revolving door," he said.

Among the suspects: a man wanted in connection with a murder who has 21 prior arrests, and another with six previous arrests, including one this year for aggravated assault for discharging a weapon.

"How this individual is out on bond is beyond me," McCarthy said.

The incidents include eight times in which police fired guns at suspects or were fired on, McCarthy told reporters. In two of those incidents, police shot and killed the suspects, both of whom were 16.

McCarthy said the violence unraveled a string of successes by police in suppressing gun violence this year. The city saw 21 shooting incidents on Sunday alone, he said, although three of them may have been self-inflicted.

Marlin Williams' niece Tonya Gunn was among the nine victims, killed in a drive-by shooting Sunday night while she was cooking food on the grill. Her 11-year-old daughter witnessed the shooting.

"I feel hurt," Williams said Monday. "I will never be able to see my niece again."

In 2013, 12 people died and 75 were injured during the four-day Independence Day holiday, according to CNN affiliate WLS.

The holiday shootings follow a week in which Chicago had 52 shooting incidents, according to Police Department statistics. This year, as of June 29, Chicago police had recorded 880 shooting incidents, an average of nearly five a day.

McCarthy said Monday, "It's Groundhog Day here in Chicago."

McCarthy said police will continue a summer program to flood high-violence areas with police, but he said that without stronger gun laws, police will continue to face an uphill battle.

"These offenders need to be held fully accountable for violent behavior to prevent them from ending up back on the street too soon," he said, adding, "There's too many guns coming in and too little punishment going out."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/07/justice/chicago-shootings/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

1 person likes this

Well yes, although I would argue that "sane" is a pretty low standard. I'd like to think that legal gun owners would be safe, responsible, well trained & 100% liable for any miss-use of their firearms. I mean bad gun ownership is just bad for all gun owners right.

I am sure an insane person would say the same thing :huh:. The suggestion that you'd go to "war" over the ownersip of your firearms is somewhat disconcerting.

War against tyranny in government is one of the reasons the 2nd amendment was written to begin with.  Would I prefer to solve things politically?  Yes, of course I would, that's why I write senators, post on these forums, etc.  The truth of the matter is the majority of my firearms have only ever been used for hunting and target practice (with a couple of exceptions).  However, if it came right down to it, I would be more than willing to use lethal force to defend my right to keep and bear arms, because that is one of many reasons we have that right to begin with.

I do agree with your first bullet though.  I think gun owners should be able to demonstrate a certain level of competence with their firearms, both in terms of operation and in terms of safety, and I think that more gun owners should be politically active through groups like the National Rifle Association or the National Association for Gun Rights.  You don't have to agree with everything a group says or does to support the broader vision of its goals.  I vote for politicians that I don't like all the time, because I dislike them less than the other guy.  I like "most" of what the NRA says and does, but not everything; that doesn't stop me from donating and participating in our organizational elections and writing letters, etc.  I know lots of people around here who own guns who aren't as competent as I think they should be, and I know lots of people who are intelligent, competent gun owners who aren't as politically active as I think they should be.  It just gets tiresome having the same arguments over and over and over again.  It seems like every time people like me get ahead and establish ourselves as intelligent, competent human beings who happen to own guns, some turd-head blows a couple people away and we're right back to square one again.  It's kind of like freedom of speech.  Our president has effectively nullified the 1st amendment by creating things like, "Free speech zones" and considering free speech a crime within a certain radius of any location he or his subordinates designate, and the reason he's allowed to do things like that is because we haven't made a big enough fuss about it.

3 people like this

Chicago's problem is one of gang warfare, and the inability/unwillingness of the police and City Hall to break them. Hell, large numbers of them are in cahoots with said gangs. Over 100 sent to prison since 2000, and that's the tip of the iceberg.

As for City Hall, let's just say once the Feds are done with Detroit they need to spend a decade in Chicago. The Chicago Machine is as corrupt as they come.

The gang tradition there goes way back to the days before Al Capone. Chicago is as bad or worse than portrayed in The Untouchables. SSDD.

It's been that way under strict and relaxed gun laws, the main difference being that "normal" folks can now defend themselves. The cops there sure aren't going to do it - and haven't for over 80 years.

Don't go to many parts without a light armor ride.

3 people like this

When will the US learn from Australia? Stricter gun control laws save lives. Chicago is Exhibit A in terms of what happens when you have weak gun laws. But for sure, arm yourselves to the hilt. Seems like a depressing way to exist.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/14/america-mass-murder-australia-gun-control-saves-lives

An excerpt:

Australia also requires a justifiable reason for the type of weapon the applicant wants to own. If you say you plan to hunt rabbits, your license doesn't allow you to a high-powered rifle. And if you already have a couple of guns suitable for hunting rabbits, it becomes increasingly difficult to justify acquiring more. This is a measure against the accumulation of private arsenals. A significant legal and cultural difference between our two countries: Australia doesn't accept anticipation of killing another person (self-defence) as a reason for owning a gun. To qualify for a handgun license, you must belong to and regularly attend a target shooting club.

An important feature of a licence is that it must be renewed every few years, and it can be cancelled or suspended if the bearer no longer meets the standard required ? for example, due to domestic violence or a dangerous mental condition.

Australia didn't ban guns. Hunting and shooting are still thriving. But by adopting laws that give priority to public safety, we have saved thousands of lives.

When will the US learn from Australia? Stricter gun control laws save lives. Chicago is Exhibit A in terms of what happens when you have weak gun laws.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/14/america-mass-murder-australia-gun-control-saves-lives

An excerpt:

Australia also requires a justifiable reason for the type of weapon the applicant wants to own. If you say you plan to hunt rabbits, your license doesn't allow you to a high-powered rifle. And if you already have a couple of guns suitable for hunting rabbits, it becomes increasingly difficult to justify acquiring more. This is a measure against the accumulation of private arsenals. A significant legal and cultural difference between our two countries: Australia doesn't accept anticipation of killing another person (self-defence) as a reason for owning a gun. To qualify for a handgun license, you must belong to and regularly attend a target shooting club.

An important feature of a licence is that it must be renewed every few years, and it can be cancelled or suspended if the bearer no longer meets the standard required ? for example, due to domestic violence or a dangerous mental condition.

Australia didn't ban guns. Hunting and shooting are still thriving. But by adopting laws that give priority to public safety, we have saved thousands of lives.

And I can provide article after article demonstrating the exact opposite.  Here's one.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847

The fact of the matter is that the US will never be disarmed without a lot of people, police included, dying in the process.  The smart thing to do is enforce the laws already on the books.  I saw an article on here where one state just recently actually started sending police to investigate when somebody fails the background check in an attempt to purchase a gun.  The law has been in place for years, and similar laws are already in place all over the country, they just aren't being enforced because the federal and state governments don't want to dedicate the manpower to enforce them, but when somebody who fails a background check buys one illegally and kills a bunch of people anyway, who may have been stopped had police been sent to investigate, or when somebody who shouldn't have passed the background check does for some reason, our president is one of the first people to jump in front of a camera and start boohooing about how we need more gun control, instead of talking about how we need to fix the problem with enforcement of laws already in place.

War against tyranny in government is one of the reasons the 2nd amendment was written to begin with.  Would I prefer to solve things politically?  Yes, of course I would, that's why I write senators, post on these forums, etc.  The truth of the matter is the majority of my firearms have only ever been used for hunting and target practice (with a couple of exceptions).  However, if it came right down to it, I would be more than willing to use lethal force to defend my right to keep and bear arms, because that is one of many reasons we have that right to begin with.

Whislt I don't really think there's a realistic notion in fighting off a tyrannical US government that wants all your guns. Symbolically I guess I could see your point. I mean, I'd imagine there's a historical "way of life" culture with firearms in many parts(?). Which, for folks who don't use or even see guns much, if at all, & associate them largely with urban violence, aggressive stances on defending the right to hold guns can be unnerving.

1 person likes this

Wouldn't your feelings of tiredness be better directed towards the incidents themselves.

1 person likes this

However, if it came right down to it, I would be more than willing to use lethal force to defend my right to keep and bear arms, because that is one of many reasons we have that right to begin with.

would you do the same for all your rights? use lethal force? or just that one in particular?