Microsoft prepping Lumia branded Android phone

I don't think really though.. it's not my opinion.. stats back it up.. it's at 2.7% worldwide (down from 3.2%) after years of being on the market.. it's pathetic.  Windows Phone is a dead OS and if Nokia rumor is true Microsoft realizes that as well.

Actually they made a killing initially.. then they stalled and lost a lot of money, now they are making money again. That's business really.

You are being very American here and not looking at the whole picture. Worldwide in certain places, Windows Phone is doing much better than here in the US. In some countries, it's even the second most popular mobile OS, which says a lot. Also, depending on which source you ask, the global market share of WP is anywhere from 3-6%. 

Plus, being among developers, being a developer myself and dealing with startups and tech companies.. NOBODY even plans on Windows Phone versions of their apps and services.. and those who do make it the last thing (if they ever get to it) and this is despite Microsoft offering money to developers to make apps.

(That's just business, if wp was dominant then the apps would be made for wp with the highest priority)

You are being very American here and not looking at the whole picture. Worldwide in certain places, Windows Phone is doing much better than here in the US. In some countries, it's even the second most popular mobile OS, which says a lot. Also, depending on which source you ask, the global market share of WP is anywhere from 3-6%. 

I don't know what's so hard to understand.. IDC's stats are very obvious.. worldwide marketshare for Windows Phone is 2.7%.. it can't be clearer than that. I know some people want WP to succeed but going with emotional reasoning instead of facts is not going to make it any less true.

(That's just business, if wp was dominant then the apps would be made for wp with the highest priority)

LOL well of course.. that's why it's a dead platform and there's nothing Microsoft can do at this point in time to make it appealing to anyone. And without developers, users don't care thus the minuscule marketshare.

Making Nokia go Android will benefit Microsoft AND Nokia. You can use Android applications, you will be connected with Microsoft services.. This was actually Microsoft's intent from the beginning but they hoped they could achieve Apple's ecosystem with their own hardware.

That didn't really go well and now hopefully with the new CEO and smart guidance they can make good decisions.

You can wrap it up in whatever might sound positive.. but reality is that it's a dead platform. The marketshare is minuscule, nobody uses it

Are you purposefully ignoring the 8 million devices that are sold each quarter? Doesn't sound like nobody to me.

Are you purposefully ignoring the 8 million devices that are sold each quarter? Doesn't sound like nobody to me.

Blackberry is still being sold. ;)

I don't know what's so hard to understand.. IDC's stats are very obvious.. worldwide marketshare for Windows Phone is 2.7%.. it can't be clearer than that. I know some people want WP to succeed but going with emotional reasoning instead of facts is not going to make it any less true.

Because one source is super reliable :rolleyes:  I wonder why people would even go to people like you for tech insight...I don't have a WP device at the moment and I have no emotional feelings for a particular phone/mobile OS at all. As a consumer, choice and competition are great to have.

Edited by Andrew G.

No, iOS has almost 50% marketshare in the US and are very popular.. they are around 17% worldwide.. no they are not a dead platform.. far from it.. a platform that barely has 3% of the market in the US and 2.7% worldwide (if you do the math you will see that majority of their marketshare comes from US actually) and their growth is miniscule.. means that nobody really uses it.. their global marketshare dropped 0.5  which makes it even worse, and means people are abandoning it (and going for Android actually).. so yeah, they ARE a dead platform or at least on the way out. 

Plus, being among developers, being a developer myself and dealing with startups and tech companies.. NOBODY even plans on Windows Phone versions of their apps and services.. and those who do make it the last thing (if they ever get to it) and this is despite Microsoft offering money to developers to make apps.

I understand all that, still doesn't justify why they should abandon it. They are obviously making gains, 8.7% year over year might not be a lot, but they aren't losses. Giving up isn't the solution and it isn't what they are going to do. Like someone above said, they are the #2 smartphone OS in some countries ahead of iOS.

Sadly, Nokia accounts for 85% of Windows Phone sales and that's because they don't have any choice at the moment. It's a sad state of affairs.

Because one source is super reliable :rolleyes:  I wonder why people would even go to people like you for tech insight...I don't have a WP device at the moment and I have no emotional feelings for a particular phone/mobile OS at all. As a consumer, choice and competition are great to have.

No need to get upset.. I'm not saying kill anything.. I'm just saying Windows Phone is dying because it lacks support, features and many things and their market share dropped worldwide.  Nobody really wants to invest in Windows Phone so they have only Nokia pretty much selling those phones.

Despite what you might feel, I want Microsoft to be a 3rd dominant player, but they got into the game too late, they don't have support pretty much from anyone, they forced Nokia to sell Windows Phones and now they are stuck with something very few people uses.

Facts are facts. 

They are bleeding money and Nokia is in a very bad position too. That's the reason why they are looking and testing Android OS .. because if they continue at this pace they are done (Nokia). End of last year Nokia was losing around 150 million per quarter. 

This is also a good article:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12763746/1/microsoft-is-losing-market-share-it-cant-afford-to-lose.html

Edited by Andrew G.

Lumia 1020 is still seen as a King of phone cameras. Would be nice to get Android on something with a camera that good.

Edited by Andrew G.
  • Like 2

Lumia 1020 is still seen as a King of phone cameras. Would be nice to get Android on something with a camera that good.

You'd be surprised by the sony z1 compact

a modest sensor compared to the one in the 1020 but incredible nonetheless

(edit, that's weird, I didn't get a notification for you quoting me)

Edited by Andrew G.

You'd be surprised by the sony z1 compact

a modest sensor compared to the one in the 1020 but incredible nonetheless

It's  a good camera, but not nearly enough to dethrone the 1020.

Also Booz claiming WP lacks features. With 8.1 it not only caught up but has more features than android and iOS and is only getting better with every release. No phone OS is getting mew features as fast as WP with as much speed and little bugs.

It's  a good camera, but not nearly enough to dethrone the 1020.

Also Booz claiming WP lacks features. With 8.1 it not only caught up but has more features than android and iOS and is only getting better with every release. No phone OS is getting mew features as fast as WP with as much speed and little bugs.

I was seduced by it also, but then I sat down and had a good think about it, I have no doubts as a camera phone it's king, even to go as far as to challenge some 'professional' camera equipment, but when it came down to living with it, (for me android won) and in all honesty it's a good.... They're both good devices, at the time I got a better deal on a more familiar os

I'd be interested in an android powered Nokia, but not if it's just mimicking wp, I didn't understand why they needed android to impersonate, or pretend to be a wp device, especially since wp already exists, and works fluidly on even basic hardware specs...

I disagree that Windows Phone is "dying", how could it, when it's catching on? Second, an Android powered device would be the death of Windows Phone, Windows RT, and so forth.

I call BS on this. Just like the last time these rumors surfaced.

@evleaks is on a roll

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Is Microsoft restarting production of the rumored Surface Mini, with plans to roll it out this summer? My sources say no.

published 6 hours ago by Mary Jo Foley

http://www.zdnet.com/dont-expect-microsofts-surface-mini-to-debut-this-summer-7000031301/

No need to get upset.. I'm not saying kill anything.. I'm just saying Windows Phone is dying because it lacks support, features and many things and their market share dropped worldwide.  Nobody really wants to invest in Windows Phone so they have only Nokia pretty much selling those phones.

Despite what you might feel, I want Microsoft to be a 3rd dominant player, but they got into the game too late, they don't have support pretty much from anyone, they forced Nokia to sell Windows Phones and now they are stuck with something very few people uses.

Facts are facts. 

They are bleeding money and Nokia is in a very bad position too. That's the reason why they are looking and testing Android OS .. because if they continue at this pace they are done (Nokia). End of last year Nokia was losing around 150 million per quarter. 

This is also a good article:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12763746/1/microsoft-is-losing-market-share-it-cant-afford-to-lose.html

You said they are dead, and now dying in this post. If they are bleeding money so bad, they would get out of the business. I just can't see them doing that - mobile is a key component in all their services. Also, you may remember a mobile OS called Windows Mobile 6. It lasted all the way to 2010, which was Microsoft's biggest mistake. They should have been more aggressive in getting WP7 and WP8 rolled out much faster, but instead they are playing catch up with Android and iOS in many areas. Their releases are just far too slow, and their feature set is still not there yet. This is my biggest problem with WP. You want to root for them, but they are moving at a snail's pace.

What does being American have anything to do with this convo?

Not looking at the whole world picture, and focusing on the US market alone. Poor choice of words

Well, this phone had potential to be the tide changer for people

Just a few problems though.... (referring to LUMIA X2)

1. The interface looks um, wow, just horrible

2. The specs could have been better.

3. Why not throw in a year of 100GB of storage on Onedrive as a game changer?

4. Maybe offer more unique features?

All in all, Microsoft had a bright idea but fumbled on the execution, I get it, this was the phone to sway people away from Android and start pushing them to Windows Phone, but, it feels like there is something missing there. Perhaps is the Google play experience, or something completely different, but you can tell these phones feel incomplete.

• Like 1

Microsoft invested billions into Windows Phone OS and seen them making a high profile Android phone does not make sense. It will make sense if Microsoft started to go with Android only. I hate their business strategy because Google don't give a damn about Microsoft, but yet Microsoft care about Google and their products.

• Like 2

MS wouldn't have bought Nokia if they considered WP a failure and was killing it, it wouldn't have made sense.

• Like 3

MS wouldn't have bought Nokia if they considered WP a failure and was killing it, it wouldn't have made sense.

I'm sure that at that time, among many bad decisions done by Balmer it seemed like a good idea. .They wanted to be Apple..

Unfortunately, that whole plan is falling to pieces. If they do release a Lumia with Android that should give you a clear signal that Windows Phone strategy is done and Microsoft realized the mistake they made.

I'm sure that at that time, among many bad decisions done by Balmer it seemed like a good idea. .They wanted to be Apple..

Unfortunately, that whole plan is falling to pieces. If they do release a Lumia with Android that should give you a clear signal that Windows Phone strategy is done and Microsoft realized the mistake they made.

But Windows Phone isn't "dying", nor is Microsoft considering it a "mistake". They're on the heels of releasing a major update to the OS, and have plans for more. Where are you getting this nonsense from?

• Like 3

Quoting from my phone, so I cannot bold the points to which I'm referring, and it'll take forever to find the source, but wasn't there a topic in this site about how microsoft had the ecosystem ready to go and then scrapped it (the one that is similar to the one being used by apple)

Contrary to popular belief a CEO doesn't run a company the size of MS alone.

Also as you can see in the parts of my reply you selectively chose to ignore. MS is still heavily developing WP. Even more they're unifying WP and windows RT to one OS, with threshold. And we already have universal apps.

Edited by Andrew G.
  • Like 2

Actually buying Nokia was not a mistake, if anything, Microsoft would be wise to leverage their manufacturing expertise, and use it to build superb devices. Also, use the Apple mantra and tightly integrate low level features with the o/s, although this may ###### off a few if not all the partners. And lastly, cut out the carriers from approving and rolling out the updates.

Nokia will shift to Android and they will be premier device maker with amazing integration with Microsoft cloud instead of Google. 

Probably Microsoft's goal all along...

As above, they need good quality hardware to compete with apple, now they have all Nokia's hardware expertise.