Photo

Proper Wifi Config?

24 replies to this topic

#1 LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 08 July 2014 - 00:45

hi, i have a Linksys E4200 router. i was wondering what the proper way to set this page up are, channel width etc...

Untitled_zpsae7a72c9.jpg

Thanks

#2 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 July 2014 - 00:47

get inssider see where the least amount of traffic/interference is and config accordingly

#3 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 July 2014 - 00:49

Well, in order to do that, you'll need to know how many g rated devices will be connecting to it, (you'll be surprised art how many new devices still use wireless g)

on my e4200 I've left channel width on mixed for both bands

disabled ssid (optional) and manual disabled wps

only have my ps3 and 4 on the 5ghz via a bridge

#4 OP LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 08 July 2014 - 00:55

Well, in order to do that, you'll need to know how many g rated devices will be connecting to it, (you'll be surprised art how many new devices still use wireless g)
on my e4200 I've left channel width on mixed for both bands
disabled ssid and manual disabled wps
only have my ps3 and 4 on the 5ghz via a bridge

I have ps4, iPad 2, iPad 3, wii, amazon fire tv, ATV 3, iPhone 4, Lumia 920, 1 HP laptop, 1 Toshiba laptop. I have an ip assigned to everything on the network. I really don't mind just putting my fire tv and ps4 on the 5ghz and leave everything else on the 2.4. That being said still disable ssid and how do u manually disable wps?

Thanks

#5 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:00

go into the wifi protected setup page

there you have the option to turn off the wps :)

Image1.jpg

#6 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:02

I always just set mine to auto.  I live in the middle of nowhere, and the only other broadcasting device within range is my CB radio which broadcasts at ~27 Mhz instead of 2.4 Ghz, so it hasn't caused any issues with interference.

Mine does not have a 5.7 Ghz section since mine is just an E-800, but as a general rule of thumb, unless you are having problems with interference, I just leave it all at auto.

wifi.png

#7 OP LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:17

I always just set mine to auto.  I live in the middle of nowhere, and the only other broadcasting device within range is my CB radio which broadcasts at ~27 Mhz instead of 2.4 Ghz, so it hasn't caused any issues with interference.

Mine does not have a 5.7 Ghz section since mine is just an E-800, but as a general rule of thumb, unless you are having problems with interference, I just leave it all at auto.
attachicon.gifwifi.png

Oh, ok so leave both 5 and 2.4 to auto. Interesting

#8 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:22

a lot of the factory settings don't need adjusting, unless you have a problem which needs a little fine tuning, leaving it on auto doesn't seem to affect anything in my house, and there's heavy wireless trespass in my house from up to 6 houses away, (some people have bt home hubs and they have some good signal in my house lol) and I still haven't needed to adjust anything beyond hiding my ssid and turning off wps :)

(personal choice on the ssid thingy)

#9 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:24

Oh, ok so leave both 5 and 2.4 to auto. Interesting

Obviously if you have problems you can try manually setting it to one channel or another after verifying what channel is quietest, like Texas mentioned in his post, but generally speaking yes I just leave it all on auto because I'm not close enough to any other access points to have to worry about it.

#10 OP LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:25

Does hiding the ssid cause connection issues? Or once your connected your good?

#11 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:28

once you're connected, you're good, no worries (it's just a 'peace of mind' safety measure so you don't show up on other people's wifi (or potential hackers, although if they're determined, they'll still get in, kinda like the car security argument, if they want in bad enough, they'll get in)

#12 OP LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:33

Ok, thanks guys

#13 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:41

I wouldn't bother with a auto channel setting for 2.4Ghz, there's only 3 usable channels (1, 6 and 11) so just pick one (Unlike 5Ghz that has 23 non-overlapping channels so any one is fine)

It does nothing for security and can actually make your network more visible and use battery power up in portable devices (Because it causes them to probe for the network)

#14 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:44

It does nothing for security and can actually make your network more visible and use battery power up in portable devices (Because it causes them to probe for the network)

Um, not when already paired, my devices have shown no difference in battery performance, ssid on or off...?

#15 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:38

get inssider see where the least amount of traffic/interference is and config accordingly

inssider doesn't distribute a free version anymore :( but it's good advice. just find an alternative channel scanner

Um, not when already paired, my devices have shown no difference in battery performance, ssid on or off...?

hiding the SSID is non-standard and should never be used. Usually the router broadcasts the name, so any clients can try to connect only when the hear the network in range. But if you hide it you force the client to constantly yell out on the off chance that the router is available and listening. This means not only at your own home, but at work, at school, at the park, and on your way everywhere. You're making your device literally yell out your home network name everywhere you go, instead of keeping it in one location where it actually exists if you just let the router broadcast the SSID. If any additional battery drain is noticeable at all, it'd be noticeable when you're nowhere near your network.