Photo

Interview Tomorrow with Gearbox Software

18 replies to this topic

#1 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 810 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 15:38

I have my second interview tomorrow with Gearbox Software (Borderlands, Borderlands II, Brothers in Arms, etc)

The position is for a Systems Engineer.  I sent in my resume not expecting to ever hear anything & they called me the same week.  Now after a brief phone screening - Im doing my 1st interview with the IT Dept.

Fingers Crossed !

#2 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 15:39

Good luck!

Does this mean you will be able to tell us all the latest game release info before its leaked officially? :p

#3 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,161 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 July 2014 - 15:41

Good luck! Stay calm and be yourself. You'll do great.

#4 Tidosho

Tidosho

Electronics, Software & Computer Engineer

• 267 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 & Note 2 16GB

Posted 08 July 2014 - 15:47

Best of luck to you T3X4S :) Keep calm and everything will be fine :)

#5 OP T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 810 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 17:05

Thank You, very kind of you all.

Quick funny story - A couple of years ago I interviewed with Microsoft.  The recruiter told me to be myself, and answer everything honestly.

Well I didnt listen and answered everything the way I thought they wanted me to answer.... it backfired horribly.

Needless to say, I will never get a job with Microsoft. :/

MS Team Leader:  Do you believe the customer is always right ?"

Me:    "Yes, the last thing you want is a customer who leaves unhappy.  If a company treats a customer good - he might tell someone.  If a customer is treated badly, they will tell everyone..."

MS Team Leader -   "In IT, the customer is never right...most of the time the customer doesnt know what right is"

MS Team Leader - "Do you believe honesty is the best policy ?"

Me:   Yes, I do.

MS Team Leader:   So when your friend asks you, 'hey you work at microsoft, when is that new OS coming out ?' -- since honesty is the best policy...and you know when the OS is coming out - you feel you have to tell him ?"

Interview Fail Big Time

#6 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

• 961 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 08 July 2014 - 17:10

My guess is that you may work on the new game that they just announced. Good luck anyways!

EDIT: Oh, this is just a first interview, I misread that. :laugh: Nevertheless, good luck. Might want to read a bit about their new game before heading to the interview.

#7 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,161 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 July 2014 - 18:01

Quick funny story - A couple of years ago I interviewed with Microsoft.  The recruiter told me to be myself, and answer everything honestly.

Well I didnt listen and answered everything the way I thought they wanted me to answer.... it backfired horribly.

Me:    "Yes, the last thing you want is a customer who leaves unhappy.  If a company treats a customer good - he might tell someone.  If a customer is treated badly, they will tell everyone..."

MS Team Leader -   "In IT, the customer is never right...most of the time the customer doesnt know what right is"

MS Team Leader:   So when your friend asks you, 'hey you work at microsoft, when is that new OS coming out ?' -- since honesty is the best policy...and you know when the OS is coming out - you feel you have to tell him ?"

Interview Fail Big Time

The interviewer sounds like a jerk to be honest. Intentionally playing deceptive games with you...

I would had responded to him with the following after he came down on you for your answer...

1. The customer may not know what they want, but they have a perception of value and correctness. It may not be important to take the customer at face value on knowing what is right or what they want, but it is important to understand your customer to be sure you always deliver their internal view of right - their perception of value and correctness.

2. Of course context is important. I presume Microsoft doesn't want me to be intentionally deceitful with my coworkers or management. Honesty doesn't require me to answer every question posed to me, but it does require me to treat those around me with courtesy and respect. I hope those qualities are valued here at Microsoft.

Put them back in the hot seat for being jerks... But that is how I usually roll in those situations. Can't say if it is the best policy.

#8 OP T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 810 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:09

The interviewer sounds like a jerk to be honest. Intentionally playing deceptive games with you...

I would had responded to him with the following after he came down on you for your answer...

1. The customer may not know what they want, but they have a perception of value and correctness. It may not be important to take the customer at face value on knowing what is right or what they want, but it is important to understand your customer to be sure you always deliver their internal view of right - their perception of value and correctness.

2. Of course context is important. I presume Microsoft doesn't want me to be intentionally deceitful with my coworkers or management. Honesty doesn't require me to answer every question posed to me, but it does require me to treat those around me with courtesy and respect. I hope those qualities are valued here at Microsoft.

Put them back in the hot seat for being jerks... But that is how I usually roll in those situations. Can't say if it is the best policy.

LOL Awesome !

Here is the kicker -  I was so nervous I couldnt sleep the night before.  So by interview time, all cleverness, witty reponse, and general intelligence was gone -- I was screwed before it got started.

However, your answers were great & yes he was a jerk.

The other thing he said about "honesty is always the best policy" -

MS Team Leader:   "You're not married are you ?  Of course you're not, because when your wife asks you 'does this dress make me look fat?'  You think honestly is the best policy now ?"

They didnt even care about my tech background/experience - they were just looking for a type of person to be on their team.  "screw em !"

My guess is that you may work on the new game that they just announced. Good luck anyways!

EDIT: Oh, this is just a first interview, I misread that. :laugh: Nevertheless, good luck. Might want to read a bit about their new game before heading to the interview.

What game ?

#9 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

• 961 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:12

What game ?

http://www.wpcentral..._medium=twitter

#10 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,224 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:51

Interview Fail Big Time

Sounds like that interviewer was being a dick, you could have played it either way, and he would have found fault with your answers.

Anyways, good luck with the interview :)

Edit: heh, I left this post sitting here unpublished while I was messing about updating my phone, and LogicalApex has come in and said (more eloquently) pretty much exactly what I was thinking :laugh:

#11 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,574 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 20:12

Cool congrats man! I just got notification I didn't get a job at HP today. Bit gutted but onwards and upwards.  :(

#12 OP T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 810 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 22:11

Thank You for all the kind words - very nice of you

#13 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,286 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 08 July 2014 - 22:15

2070.strip.gif

#14 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 7,829 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 22:29

2008-12-10-software-engineer-stereotype.

#15 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,980 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:34

So, how did it go?