• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:10

Hi, I currently have a HTC ONE V, with Virgin Mobile.

I want to upgrade it, but, anything higher, you're tossing your money away. I could do a trade-in, but don't really need/want to do that.

I'm looking at T-Mobile here. I had recently gotten a HotSpot, mobile broadband from them. No trouble. Even though the device was refurbished.

I'm looking at their Simple Starter Plan.

Here are the models I am currently looking at:

Apple iPhone 5, 5c
HTC One M8
LG G2, G3
Google Nexus 5
LG Optimus L90, F3Q
LG G Flex
Nokia Lumia 521, 925
Sony Xperia Z

I don't like Samsung phones, so don't ask. I don't like iOS, but if it's that much better, I might consider it. I'm a big HTC fan, but is it better than the original One? LG, know nothing about.

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:19

Out of those choices, I would say either the M8, Xperia Z or Nexus 5.

If I were able to offer advice, I would suggest checking out the Z2 instead of the Z. I'm still planning on going for that as my next phone unless something better comes along (with regards to specs combined with battery life.)

I know many people in Fribourg rocking the M8, and I haven't heard a bad word about it.

And the Nexus...well it's Google, you would hope it would be the better choice for an Android device. But I have nothing other than assumption to make that suggestion.

#3 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:21

Your phones are all over the board from top end to budget.... what do you really want.

#4 panacea

panacea

technical cannibal

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: htc one

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:23

LG G2 is great.   Highly recommended.

I own HTC One (first one, and a bunch of HTC phones before that)  - and I love LG G2.      G3 is too big, but I am sure it is good too.   However, I want a smartphone, not a phablet.

Z was nice, but it is already too old, i think.  G flex is too big and gimmicky!   Nexus 5 was good, but camera is crap!!!  really bad, even for basic pics you expect from a phone (if you used a good phone before, lol)

htc one m8 is ok.  i liked original One better in looks, with white plastic stripes and highlights, plus it is too big for me.

Your phones are all over the board from top end to budget.... what do you really want.

yeah, i was thinking that too...  why would you even compare some of the phones on the list? they are crap in comparison to others?

what are your priorities?  

#5 eddman

eddman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:31

Can't tell you what to pick but can caution you about one.

Nokia lumia 925. It's been discontinued by t-mobile, AFAIK, so probably no more updates. They might even act like douchebags and not approve 8.1 update.

#6 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:46

I need something better than my current One. More RAM, higher processor, more storage? IDK, it takes 5 minutes to start up a game. Things lock up in it all the time. I cleaned the thing to shiz. Still slow.

Just like in benchmarks, is there something better than what my One can do?

#7 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:29

Go to a T-Mobile store and handle each one, the GS5, M8, and G3 have pretty much the same hardware, same for the GS4. M7, and G2, don't forget the top Sony ones, they are also nice

Which ever one feels nicer to you get one, I have in the house a G2 and a M7, TO ME, the G2 was a slight improvement and I'm waiting for the G3, but that's me, 

Can't go wrong with any of the top models so holding one in hand and playing with demo units will seal it for you 

#8 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 15:50

I'm not looking for the one that feels better, I want the best that preforms the best out of those above choices. That can handle anything I throw at it. I don't know what the "top models" are. Care to explain?

#9 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 15:53

Anything 2.8 quad core with 2 gig ram :p

#10 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 15:57

My One has 1Ghz CPU and 512 RAM.. No idea what the heck Virgin did to it...

#11 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:02

Depends on how much you're willing to spend

My Z1 Compact was supposed to be £75 upfront, and then £24 a month for 24 months on O2

I traded in my S3 and got £95 for it, so in essence I got £20 extra to spend in the Carphone Whorehouse at the time (so I bought a Screen protector, and some headphones which I gave to my son, seeing as I wasn't out of pocket)

#12 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:09

Anything 2.8 quad core with 2 gig ram :p

speed/ram are NOT the thing that determines end result speed. They are but a single part of a big equation of factors.

#13 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:20

T-Mobile has a special right now of $0 down. You just have to pay $5-10 for 24 months. Unless you cancel your service, you pay the full price.

So money isn't really a factor here. All phones are $0.

Yet 1Ghz vs 2.8Ghz and 512Mb vs 2GB, got to be an overhaul.

#14 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:40

My One has 1Ghz CPU and 512 RAM.. No idea what the heck Virgin did to it...

Other than possibly installing bloatware, I don't think they've done anything to it. I just went to look up the specs on the HTC One V, and it is stated as coming with a 1GHz CPU and 512MB RAM. In contrast, the Z2 comes with a 2.3GHz Quad-core CPU and 3GB RAM. That's quite a step up.

#15 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:43

speed/ram are NOT the thing that determines end result speed. They are but a single part of a big equation of factors.

I know, I was being an ass

T-Mobile has a special right now of $0 down. You just have to pay $5-10 for 24 months. Unless you cancel your service, you pay the full price.

So money isn't really a factor here. All phones are $0.

Yet 1Ghz vs 2.8Ghz and 512Mb vs 2GB, got to be an overhaul.

Well, if you like iphone 4 sized phones (or the Nokia N8 sized phones) then the only one I could recommend would be the one I have and love, the Z1 Compact, (2.2 ghz quad core with 2 g ram) it's an astonishingly fast phone, (and playstation certified if you're into that)
otherwise, (this is just going by what other users have said, and I have no direct knowledge about it) Any of the Nokia Lumia devices, from what I've heard about them they run smooth as silk even though the hardware isn't as brutal (but I guess that's where optimised os comes into play) (<--- Guess only, I may be incorrect)

Edit, sorry, In my hurry to post I made an exaggeration, the z1 compact is bigger than an iphone 4 but not by much.