WinHEC 2006 Documentation

I have discovered that Microsoft still maintains a webpage dedicated to PowerPoint slides distributed during WinHEC 2006. Like the links to Microsoft's NGSCB documentation, I am posting these in the hopes that it will promote awareness of the information and foster discussion. I have learned that discussing a topic or feature by myself is not enough, I must promote the material itself to help members become interested.

Direct link: https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec/pres06.mspx

Before you dismiss these slides as being irrelevant because of their age, it should be noted that they cover a wide variety of topics which are still relevant even after the release of Windows Vista. For example, the slide titled "Bitlocker Drive Encryption Hardware Enhanced Data Protection" discusses how Bitlocker differs from traditional encryption software by validating the pre-boot environment and by allowing multi-factor authentication.

JMRHOQ7.png

p0FBAYk.png

Edit: Bitlocker was improved as of Windows Vista SP1 and allows the user to use a TPM + USB + PIN. I had forgotten to add this information when posting this list of links. Note that the information in the above screenshots is still relevant because those methods of protection are still available.

Business Opportunities for Hardware Products and Windows

Connected Devices

Device Driver Fundamentals

Media

Networking

Print, Graphics, and Imaging

Server

Storage

System Fundamentals - Core Platform Architecture and Security

System Fundamentals - Mobility

System Fundamentals - Virtualization

Windows CE

Sponsor Sessions

First of all, I think that most of this won't inspire immediate interest. It's either long dead, or we've learned to take it for granted. Many of us are running 64-bit Windows and the luxury of downloading drivers and having them work (largely) without issue has become normal (just as an example of how distanced we are from 2006).

Browsing over just a couple of slideshows here, I think it's disappointing that a lot of the hardware never went mainstream - Microsoft has rarely sought to control the hardware aspect of its product ecosystem, and I think this has been to the detriment of the company itself and consumers at large. At the same time, I think this disconnect between ecosystem designers in the company and the OEMs that they hoped would bring these dreams to fruition also led to concepts that (IMO) were doomed at the time, like the following example.

post-17075-0-32752500-1404888626.png

Power consumption and battery capacity constraints basically ensured that these sorts of devices would either perform poorly in terms of mobility and processing power, or command such a high price premium that they could never take off. I think it's neat that devices of this nature did manage to rise from extinction in the form of the PadPhone. I thought it might have occurred to Microsoft to try this approach with Surface - an RT/ARM-powered tablet form factor with full-day battery life that can dock to a base that takes over processing power with desktop-grade hardware and full x86 support. But, with current investments in cloud storage and seamless syncing of files between independent machines, the ability of devices to dock is probably becoming less useful.