Man chokes to death at hot dog eating contest

south dakota contestants paramedics safety chamber of commerce

23 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,060 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:38

What should have been a fun way to kick off the Fourth of July weekend quickly turned tragic for a Custer man who choked to death while trying to speedily eat hot dogs during a competitive eating contest.

The crowd at Way Park in Custer, just across from the county courthouse, was stunned Thursday afternoon when one of six contestants — Walter Eagle Tail, 47 — began to choke while trying to win the contest.

Paramedic who swiftly were called to his side tried in vain to save him. Eagle Tail was transported by ambulance to Custer Regional Hospital, where he died, authorities said.

"There was someone doing CPR when we arrived," Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler said on Monday. "Basically, he probably just suffocated. It got lodged in his throat and they couldn't get it out."

"It all happened within minutes," he added. "I think everybody was pretty well shocked about it."

Eagle Tail's untimely death put a damper on the festivities sponsored by the Custer Chamber of Commerce. Organizers cancelled a planned pie eating contest for the next day.

Wheeler said he was not sure if the death will prompt organizers to make changes to the contest next year.

more

#2 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 639 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:12

It is disgusting how these people eat the hot dogs. They look hungry animals.

#3 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:30

those who live by the sword ... ;)

#4 blerk

blerk

Neowinian

• 627 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:32

those who live by the sword ... ;)

Die by the sausage  :pinch:

#5 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,107 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:34

Never understood these silly eating contests..  it's incredibly dangerous, stupid and winner is crowned for being able to eat lots of hot dogs.. woop de doo

#6 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,143 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:11

These contests are stupid. A lot could go wrong and you could end up dead. Always take your time when eating.

s9wF2jd.gif

#7 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,515 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:15

This story got me all choked up.

#8 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 7,917 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:20

Never understood these silly eating contests..  it's incredibly dangerous, stupid and winner is crowned for being able to eat lots of hot dogs.. woop de doo

Completely agree and unfortunately, the guy got what he deserved for being such a dumb a**! Sorry for being such a hard a** myself, but I've watched a couple of these events and have seen people start to gag and throw up.

Anybody with even half a brain would know better than to do this. Maybe now, they will outlaw such retarded contests!

#9 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

• 1,072 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:28

Completely agree and unfortunately, the guy got what he deserved for being such a dumb a**! Sorry for being such a hard a** myself, but I've watched a couple of these events and have seen people start to gag and throw up.

Anybody with even half a brain would know better than to do this. Maybe now, they will outlaw such retarded contests!

Come on now...he deserved to die???  While I agree that this is a really dumb contest...saying that he deserved to die is absurd.

Yes...let us outlaw everything that may kill us!  Or better yet...why don't you just not partake in events which may kill you.  Why outlaw it for others that enjoy (for whatever reason) these things.

#10 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 639 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:43

Come on now...he deserved to die??? While I agree that this is a really dumb contest...saying that he deserved to die is absurd.

Yes...let us outlaw everything that may kill us! Or better yet...why don't you just not partake in events which may kill you. Why outlaw it for others that enjoy (for whatever reason) these things.

I agreed that is not appropriate to wish someone dead, it is also absurd to outlaw any contest that is absurd as well. Lets common sense be the judge... Common sense is something that has been in decay in this country. Look at the obesity problem... That's lost of common sense and poor education in how to eat properly. In a decade, this country will be screwed up completely.

#11 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,154 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:45

Man versus Food, and the food did win.... :(

#12 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,060 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:37

I was always taught not to gulp my food.

#13 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,016 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:53

This story got me all choked up.

What a gag!

#14 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,448 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:57

So...who won the contest?

#15 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,757 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 13:14

They should introduce a new rule: if a contestant does not show they are chewing food for at least two seconds, they will be disqualified.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!