• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:02

i need a good media-center software. kde's plasma-mediacenter just hangs and crashes and looks unfinished to me.

i know i tried out a mediacenter version of ubuntu years ago which looked good and i have seen many mediacenters running on raspberry pi where it looks MUCH better and advanced than windows mediacenter software.

i am asking this, because i have not used any linux mediacenter software for years. the reason was, because there was no way to get audio-output via hdmi on my tv, and i gave up on this and used windows media center for this with working audio output.

however today i tried again and audio output now works. so there is no reason anymore for even keep windows on my notebook for the occasional sound recordings if i find a decent mediacenter software.

it should have:

- the easy possibility to add free internet radio channels like in windows media center.

- http://www.ravetrax.com must be there as a channel or an easy way to add that one manually.

- i dont need any tv channel support because i can watch my tv channels on my tv

- built in youtube support would be awesome (this makes plasma-mediacenter to crash immediately)

- built in recording option like in windows media center if possible

- should run stable (if it crashes only once a week like windows media center i can live with that :p)

suggestions welcome :)

Best Answer Sulphy , 09 July 2014 - 10:12

XBMC or Plex are ones i have played with... :)

Go to the full post

#2 Sulphy

Sulphy

Sulphurious

• Phone: Android - HTC ONE M8

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:12   Best Answer

XBMC or Plex are ones i have played with... :)

#3 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:09

xbmc looks fine, i just need to find a way to have it running not in fullscreen mode but just as a normal window, and whats the hotkey to save the currently playing radio station as your favorite?

the mousecursor is also wayyyyy too fast - i checked in the settings but no option to make it slower?

nevermind: i just found it out, windowed shows the mediacenter as a normal window and that also uses the mouse-cursor settings from kubuntu default which is fine.

all solved thx.

#4 Sulphy

Sulphy

Sulphurious

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:26

not sure about the radio station bit... i used it mainly for streaming, but wasnt a big fan of the interface, which is beautiful, but i prefer my media in a listed format... so moved to Twonkey instead... 

Nice thing about XBMC is that they offer it pre-built into ubuntu as well!

Another one i looked at was AMAHI, BUT, it takes over your whole network, so you need to let it set itself up as your DNS!!!!

#5 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:35

so far xbmc does everything i need it to do :)

next time i flash my sgs3 i will try to restore/root it by using linux instead of windows (found a good tutorial) and if that goes well too, i will finally be able to completely remove windows from my notebooks hdd. :D

#6 Sulphy

Sulphy

Sulphurious

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:38

so far xbmc does everything i need it to do :)

next time i flash my sgs3 i will try to restore/root it by using linux instead of windows (found a good tutorial) and if that goes well too, i will finally be able to completely remove windows from my notebooks hdd. :D

Awesome! :)

Have a good one! I did notice there are some pretty good addons for xbmc!! 

#7 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:42

yep even a jdownloader addon and so many others... :)

foxnews is also running fine :D