• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:23

Anyone here with opinions or experience with the WD Black2?

I was thinking about getting one for my laptop but I've heard stories of it being easily partial bricked (aka becoming 1 drive if the software isn't uninstalled properly if you move the drive or need to reformat the computer for some reason)

is there any truth about the above? would it be worth the purchase?

#2 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:33

Too much complexity and too little gain IMHO.

I would invest in either an SSD or a HDD depending on the important factors. Undue complexity isn't something you sould seek out. Especially in critical subsystems like storage...

#3 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:40

I'd get one for a laptop if costs were decent.  And yes, it needs the drivers installed to see the other drive.

I don't think that really counts as 'bricked' though.

#4 OP +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:44

I'd get one for a laptop if costs were decent.  And yes, it needs the drivers installed to see the other drive.

I don't think that really counts as 'bricked' though.

what i meant by "partial bricked" is people said if the drivers weren't properly uninstalled first, then when the drive was moved or the system reformatted the drivers wouldn't be able to install correctly again (aka the drivers wouldn't detect the drive properly anymore)

#5 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:51

what i meant by "partial bricked" is people said if the drivers weren't properly uninstalled first, then when the drive was moved for the system reformatted the drivers wouldn't be able to install correctly again (aka the drivers wouldn't detect the drive properly anymore)

I admit I haven't looked into it, still seems a bit expensive for me.

#6 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:59

Anyone here with opinions or experience with the WD Black2?

I was thinking about getting one for my laptop but I've heard stories of it being easily partial bricked (aka becoming 1 drive if the software isn't uninstalled properly if you move the drive or need to reformat the computer for some reason)

is there any truth about the above? would it be worth the purchase?

With things like the Crucial MX100 out there, it's quickly become overpriced for what it offers and still has all the vulnerabilities of a mechanical drive being used in a mobile computer. It's plain better to just go full SSD at this point.

#7 OP +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:04

With things like the Crucial MX100 out there, it's quickly become overpriced for what it offers and still has all the vulnerabilities of a mechanical drive being used in a mobile computer. It's plain better to just go full SSD at this point.

i'd love to but I'd like a 1TB (750gb~ at least) drive as i have a lot of games on the laptop. if the MX100 offered a TB option i'd probably pick it up in a heartbeat but the EVO seems to be the only good choice atm & that's still $500~

#8 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:07

Too much complexity and too little gain IMHO.

I would invest in either an SSD or a HDD depending on the important factors. Undue complexity isn't something you sould seek out. Especially in critical subsystems like storage...

Best answer! :)

#9 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:08

i'd love to but I'd like a 1TB (750gb~ at least) drive as i have a lot of games on the laptop. if the MX100 offered a TB option i'd probably pick it up in a heartbeat but the EVO seems to be the only good choice atm & that's still $500~

A 1TB SSD will always cost you a ton of money, at least for a while. But you can get a 512GB MX100 for $200~. Make some compromises.