Photo
xbox one microsoft martin fuller developer kits

24 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:45

A feature that would allow retail Xbox One units to become developer kits is no longer planned, according to Microsoft.

Xbox Advanced Technology Group's Martin Fuller said there are "no plans" for the feature, which would allow developers to debug and create games without additional Microsoft-supplied hardware that was introduced alongside Microsoft's ID@Xbox scheme last August.

Source: http://www.digitalsp...~oJxynWdD3kHY0M

Probably the only bad 180, I wonder what happened? (security worries?) Was a definite + over the PS4.

#2 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:16

My guess is they'd probably lose money on it and it'll resurface as a sub/program. The security angle would definitely make it easier for vulns to be found but it's inevitablely going to happen without the option anyway (to all 3 consoles).

#3 Menge

Menge

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:27

I guess the Xbox One was really the Xbox 180.

The idea was awesome and it would be great! Probably would even encourage me to get one. Now? Not so much :\

#4 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:49

That's a big ###### off for any dev who bought one thinking they would be able to use it as an indie dev kit

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:55

They probably don't want consumers to brick their consoles trying to unlock the console, so they remove the whole thing and will instead sell indie dev kits that are just slightly modified retail units for cheap instead, or something similar.

#6 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:00

:laugh:

Oh boy.

#7 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:10

Well there goes that. I was going to use mine with UE4 once they added that.

Edit: This is shown right on the id@xbox website (http://www.xbox.com/...s/Developers/id)

4e898a971b9abb25df58cb9eeda81fe6.png

#8 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:16

well that sucks, I like back when XNA was new and you could attach your 360 and debug it via network connections / remote debuggers... sure not a full blown system dev kit but it was a nice concept

#9 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:17

This one is a puzzling one for me. The only thing I can imagine is that there's something that needs to be changed hardware wise which can't be done via software update. 

I can imagine they've put a lot of work into it, so it must of been something which destroys the idea of it.

#10 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:28

What the hell is wrong with the whole Xbox team?

#11 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:37

No other way around it that sucks.  It would have been nice for people who can't afford a dev kit or just started programming to mess around with it for cheap.

#12 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:43

They probably don't want consumers to brick their consoles trying to unlock the console, so they remove the whole thing and will instead sell indie dev kits that are just slightly modified retail units for cheap instead, or something similar.

My guess as well. Only a fraction of a percent of owners would take advantage of this so having to support it doesn't make much sense over just having dev kits.

They're probably also reprioritizing things now that they've opened up the public feedback site. I'm guessing this wasn't mentioned by many people.

#13 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2014 - 18:59

Update: The comments by a Microsoft engineer regarding the company dropping plans to allow for Xbox One consoles to be used for game development were "inaccurate," a Microsoft spokesperson told Polygon today.

"The comments today were inaccurate. We remain committed to ensuring the best possible solutions for developers and hobbyists to create games for Xbox One. We will share more details at a later date," said the Microsoft representative.

Gamasutra reports that during an ID@Xbox panel at Develop yesterday, program director Chris Charla was asked about the feature, and replied, "We're not there yet."

#14 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 09 July 2014 - 19:01

Update: The comments by a Microsoft engineer regarding the company dropping plans to allow for Xbox One consoles to be used for game development were "inaccurate," a Microsoft spokesperson told Polygon today.

"The comments today were inaccurate. We remain committed to ensuring the best possible solutions for developers and hobbyists to create games for Xbox One. We will share more details at a later date," said the Microsoft representative.

Gamasutra reports that during an ID@Xbox panel at Develop yesterday, program director Chris Charla was asked about the feature, and replied, "We're not there yet."

Good news, if it's miscommunication though it's just another case of MS PR going haywire. They really need to reign in some of their mouthpieces and work better together.

#15 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 09 July 2014 - 19:15

It's got nothing to do with MS PR, someone asked some MS "engineer" and they tossed out some BS that was wrong.  It's a case of, low man on the totem poll not knowing what the heck he/she is talking about making comments to the press he/she shouldn't be making in the first place.

In the mad dash for tech news sites to get "scoops" first they take in any info they can from anyone and heck if most of them even bother to check to make sure they're right before they post it.  

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!