• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 09 July 2014 - 16:55

cast_screen.jpg?w=738

Google has released a feature for Chromecast announced at Google I/O this year – Android device screen mirroring. The update today brings the much-desired feature to all Chromecast-capable devices and makes Google Cast much more similar to Apple’s competing AirPlay offering for iOS devices.

The “Cast Screen” option will now show up in the navigation drawer of the dedicated Chromecast app, which is available from the Google Play store. If you happen to own a Nexus device, you’ll also see the option right in the quick settings menu, so you don’t have to go to the Chromecast app itself.

More....

http://techcrunch.co...-to-chromecast/

#2 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:04

Excellent I can't wait to try on my Nexus 5

#3 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:27

Wow I hope this "just works".

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:29

So does Chromecast create some sort of ad hoc wireless connection between your phone and whatever Chromecast is plugged in to? I only ask because I have this option on my phone:

EcdSaem.png

Using that I can connect to a TV that has a wireless connection and mirror my display on to the TV. However, I can't do that with my Sony TV in Fribourg, for example, as it doesn't support wireless. If I were to buy a Chromecast device for the Sony TV, would that work?

Perhaps it's slightly off topic, but I've heard about Chromecast for a while and never really looked in to it.

#5 NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:38

So does Chromecast create some sort of ad hoc wireless connection between your phone and whatever Chromecast is plugged in to? I only ask because I have this option on my phone:

Using that I can connect to a TV that has a wireless connection and mirror my display on to the TV. However, I can't do that with my Sony TV in Fribourg, for example, as it doesn't support wireless. If I were to buy a Chromecast device for the Sony TV, would that work?

Perhaps it's slightly off topic, but I've heard about Chromecast for a while and never really looked in to it.

I don't have a Chromecast, though, I may get one due to this feature. It should be as simple as finding the Chromecast on your network with your phone (which assumes that you do have wifi). But yes, you can buy the device and plug it into your TV (you'll also need to power the Chromecast via USB which most TVs also have) and cast different apps from your phone, tablet, or PC to the TV via the Chromecast.

#6 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:41

(which assumes that you do have wifi).

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I'll think about it, although at the same time I may think about a new TV anyway, which would then come with a wireless connection. Chromecast is cheaper, mind. :laugh:

#7 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2014 - 17:42

Chromecast connects to your existing wireless and you config it either via your PC, or phone.  Just download the software to config.  They will be changing things and using sound waves to allow others to connect to your CC without having to be on the same network.

http://www.techspot....st-devices.html

#8 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 10 July 2014 - 19:07

The "Cast Screen" option hasn't appeared in Chromecast v1.7.4 on my Galaxy S5.

#9 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:00

The "Cast Screen" option hasn't appeared in Chromecast v1.7.4 on my Galaxy S5.

Rooted?

I have not seen it on my phone either, and it is on the supported list.  May be because you are rooted not 100 percent on that tho.

#10 ManMountain

ManMountain

Neowinian

• Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:16

Works great. There's a slight delay when moving around a website or using Google Earth etc but its minimal.

#11 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:17

Works great. There's a slight delay when moving around a website or using Google Earth etc but its minimal.

What device?  Rooted and a custom ROM applied?

#12 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:19

Rooted?

I have not seen it on my phone either, and it is on the supported list. May be because you are rooted not 100 percent on that tho.

I am rooted. If that's going to stop me screen casting, I'm returning the Chromecast.

#13 ManMountain

ManMountain

Neowinian

• Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:21

In my signature, using Nexus 5 running Android L and rooted.

#14 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:24

I am rooted. If that's going to stop me screen casting, I'm returning the Chromecast.

I am not sure on this.  Google may have to do something else to allow this.  Either way tho, I am sure someone will come out with a fix soon for it if that is the problem. 

When Google released the option to use "Ok Google" from any screen, I downloaded the new search APK and it still didnt work.  I had to wait until a few more days for another update and then it worked fine.  So may just have to wait.

#15 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:27

Tried it out yesterday, and there is a very small delay, but it works really well on my stock Nexus 5. Also, you can just cast screen using the quick settings - no need to enter the Chromecast app (as shown in OP)