Photo

My wishlist for Threshold - and it's nothing big

19 replies to this topic

#16 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2014 - 21:11

Assuming you were using Hyper-V to run older OSes, you might want to try this since you prefer Virtual PC: :)
http://www.neowin.ne...s-8-rtm-64-bit/

Thanks, I've already successfully implemented this, I just wish we didn't need to.

#17 Zac Bowden

Zac Bowden

Managing Editor at WinBeta

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 13 July 2014 - 13:44

I just want a 'desktop first' approach in Threshold. I'm not a bad person. I promise.

#18 bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 13 July 2014 - 14:03

What Windows needs is up to date (I would say modern but I don't want metro apps, proper desktop apps please!) for Notepad, Paint, Photo and Video management, music management, etc.

One of the strongest things about OS X to me is how it comes complete out of the box with some great apps such as iTunes (hate it all you want, it does its job well), iMovie, iPhoto, etc. I really miss the completeness of OS X when I use Windows. They made some progress with adding new modern apps in Windows 8 to do some stuff but they are still crappy. Windows Media Player has had no love over the past few years. Manageing multimedia formats is a pain in the ass on Windows. Sure iTunes isn't perfect but at least it is something that is functional. I can't even edit MP3 tags in WMP anymore. I don't want to have to go and get third party apps to do these basic tasks. Why can't I easily trim a video I took and re-encode it to a smaller file size out of the box? Why can't I manage my 10,000 photo library? Why can't I organise my 30GB music library easily? Why is Notepad still basically the same app that came with Windows 95? Why does it not have spell check? Why is there no dictionary app built into Windows? Why is Paint still basically the same as what came with Windows 95 (with the exception of now it has the ribbon)?

Windows as an experience is very lacking in my experience and opinion. I would love to see Microsoft provide a full consumer computeing experience out of the box with Windows 9 rather than just an operating system.

#19 bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 13 July 2014 - 14:06

AS I work my way through setting up Win 8.1 I'm finding more:

Internet Explorer – Allow me to drag a link from the address bar onto the desktop without creating the annoying .website link and reopening the site for no reason.  A simple .URL shortcut was fine and very easy to manage – if you really want to have this feature then give me the option to switch it off in settings – not just insist on a Shift-and drag

Hyper-V – I’m reliably informed that this is much better than the humble VirtualPC but as a normal home user all I miss is shared cut and paste along with shared copy and paste – I’ve now moved to VMware player which is nowhere near as good as VirtualPC – I would have paid MS  for it as they done it so well.

Try out VirtualBox, it is free and has lots more features over Virtual PC. If you want the ultimate in desktop VMs though check out VMware Workstation. Nothing is faster or more feature-full :)

#20 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 July 2014 - 16:30

Another one for the 'It's available elsewhere by MS and could be so handy" - Multiple clipboard entries - Turned off by default for the basic users but such a great tool for the more experienced.  Options like removing formatting, text only or limited entries to store would make it ideal.  The current clipboard managers are so full of bloat and junk - something along the lines of the old ClipX would be great.

Try out VirtualBox, it is free and has lots more features over Virtual PC. If you want the ultimate in desktop VMs though check out VMware Workstation. Nothing is faster or more feature-full :)

Wasn't a huge fan of this when testing it a few weeks ago - copy and paste between VM and desktop wasn't reliable and so VMWare Player beat it - thanks for your help tho, could have worked out :-)