Dearborn man charged with second degree murder in death of soccer referee

The ref was from our city. Nice guy :(

Link....

Dearborn man charged with second degree murder in death of soccer referee

Press release from the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office:

Today Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy has amended charges for Bassel Abdul-Amir Saad, 36 (DOB: 2/28/78) of Dearborn, in connection with the death of 44-year-old soccer referee John Bieniewicz of Westland. On June 29, 2014 at approximately 11:59 a.m. at Mies Park, located at 32305 West Chicago in Livonia, Saad was participating in an adult soccer game when the referee determined he would automatically eject Saad from the game. It is alleged that Saad became upset and punched the referee in the head. Mr. Bieniewicz was immediately transported to a local hospital for treatment, however died as a result of his injuries.

Saad was originally charged with Assault with Intent to Do Great Bodily Harm and was arraigned on June 30, 2014 in 16th District Court in Livonia. Since the death of the victim, Saad is being held on a one million dollar cash/surety bond. As a result of the death of Mr. Bieniewicz, the Assault with Intent to Do Great Bodily Harm charge will be dismissed. Today Saad's charges have been amended to Second Degree Murder.

The entire soccer world mourns with the family upon the death of John Bieniewicz. This is especially tragic because it happened as the World Cup dominates our television screens, said Prosecutor Worthy. The alleged actions of this defendant cannot be tolerated and there must be action taken in our legislature to make sure that there are stronger penalties when a Referee is the victim during organized sport.

Saad is expected to be arraigned on the amended charges on Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 9:00 a.m. before Judge Kathleen McCann in the 16th District Court in Livonia. The preliminary examination will be adjourned and a new date will be set by the court at the arraignment.

Perp

4089377_G.jpg

Saad was participating in an adult soccer game when the referee determined he would automatically eject Saad from the game.

Why wouldn't they elaborate further on this?

Why was he ejected? Actions are prompted...

how's that relevant? because he was ejected did he had to resort into violence?

a referee's job is very stressful: everybody hates them.

• Like 1

Even unfair refeeree does not deserve to be punched in a face, man!  Especially with so much strength to kill a man!    Nobody deserves to die like that over a GAME.

Saad was arraigned today; second degree murder. Cried as the charges were read.

Second degree murder in Michigan can get you anything from 25 years to life, and even our liberal judges will hammer this kind of thing into the ground.

how's that relevant? because he was ejected did he had to resort into violence?

a referee's job is very stressful: everybody hates them.

Even unfair refeeree does not deserve to be punched in a face, man!  Especially with so much strength to kill a man!    Nobody deserves to die like that over a GAME.

Let's break it down.

Scenario #1: I walk up to you and punch you in the head.

Scenario #2: You anger me so I punch you in the head.

You don't see a difference?

My point is:

determined he would automatically eject

is phrased in a way that leaves a lot of open ends. Did he decide he was going to eject this player because of race, beliefs, words exchanged, or previous relationship?

The man being charged with assault is named Bassel Abdul-Amir Saad. The referee's name was John Bieniewicz. The incident seemed to happen around Detroit...

Perhaps there was a bias against this man? I don't know... I'd like to know and I feel that is it very relevant to the story.

1+1+1=3. Put it together, it's not hard.

No. Just because you're angry makes no difference.

If #2 had physically attacked or was robbing you then it's self defense, same for stopping an escaping criminal, but just angering you absent those? No. Both are on you.

And no, there is no bias in the charging. Here you can be charged with second degree murder for killing someone while DUI.

White, black, green Andorian dancing girl - doesn't matter. The prosecutor is a minority, and many of her aides and the judges are middle eastern. They're just tough.

• Like 1

If #2 had physically attacked or was robbing you (...)

well everybody says that a referee is robbing their teams  :rofl:

but yeah DocM: it doesn't matter because he was angry towards the referee's decision and acted upon that, even blindly i agree; doesn't make it right though.

And no, there is no bias in the charging. Here you can be charged with second degree murder for killing someone while DUI. White, black, green Andorian dancing girl - doesn't matter. The prosecutor is a minority, and a great many of her aides the judges are middle eastern.

lol.

Try reading what I said again...

Jesus...

Let's break it down.

My point is:

is phrased in a way that leaves a lot of open ends. Did he decide he was going to eject this player because of race, beliefs, words exchanged, or previous relationship?

The man being charged with assault is named Bassel Abdul-Amir Saad. The referee's name was John Bieniewicz. The incident seemed to happen around Detroit...

Perhaps there was a bias against this man? I don't know... I'd like to know and I feel that is it very relevant to the story.

Put it together, it's not hard.

Look i've seen many amateur and professional football (the word is football for us Europeans, not soccer!) to know that a referee is one of the most vulnerable persons in the field: the players, coaches, fans, everybody hates them. And many times a simple decision can make a man angry towards them and this could be the case. 

lol.

Try reading what I said again...

Jesus...

Did he decide he was going to eject this player because of race, beliefs, words exchanged, or previous relationship?

Perhaps there was a bias against this man?

Kinda hard to parse it any other way than accusing the referee of bias, or accusing the prosecutor of overcharging for biased reasons. Neither makes sense for the reasons stated.

Let's break it down.

No really.    It is assault either way.   Anger is not a reason for assault.    Don't you get it???    Only reason for assault should be defense!  No reason to use force over your temper.

Think about it!   You are a bigger and better man, because someone upset your ego?  so you go on to punch him?     A better man will just leave or laugh it off.   

No reason to go punch every jerk that upset you.  A better man will only use strength to help people who cannot help themselves and to protect what is dear.  

Clearly this guy was doing neither.     Even a Racial deragotory remarks and discrimination should not be a reason for a direct attack.

Unless you take it personally, any such behavior should be the other persons issue, even if it is insulting to you...  

If you don't accept the insult, then the insult is the other persons issue, they can't make it your issue, unless YOU make it so.

This is not kindergarden, this is not highschool.    This man is 36 for pete's sake!!!   And he took a man's life!  Other some petty game thing!

I think he deserved the sentence.   No matter what the circumstance! 

Your not following but thanks for trying.

ME?   I am not following?  :rofl:  

I read what you said, and I understand you point. But there is nothing there to follow, unfortunately.  

Maybe elaborate your point a bit more?  

How a Jew threatened to throw out an Arab from the game because he hates him and discriminates him all the time, so the Arab went on and killed him??   

No... that does not make it sound any better.

Look at this in another way : 

If you walk down the street and someone calls you something ( any name you want ) and you decide you are a tuff guy or girl and hit them, and they die because they fall on something. You will go to jail for murder.

In this case, the referee got hit for a decision he took and died, something again for this man ( jail for murder ).

You guys and girls need to start growing up a bit !!!! You don't hit someone for any reason except when your life is in danger.

Your not teenagers or kids anymore your suppose to have a brains use it. 

• Like 2