Elon Musk promises $1 million for Tesla museum

On Nikola Tesla's 158th birthday, it was the effort to build a museum in the influential scientist's honor that got the gift.

Elon Musk, the magnate and inventor behind electric-car company Tesla Motors, has pledged $1 million to the Tesla Science Center in Shoreham, New York, on the site of Wardenclyffe, Tesla's only remaining laboratory.

"Elon Musk: from the deepest wells of my geeky little heart: thank you," Inman wrote. "This is amazing news. And it's Nikola Tesla's 158th birthday. Happy Nikola Tesla Day."Born in 1856, Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American engineer and inventor who helped pioneer the use of electricity, among other achievements. At Wardenclyffe, Tesla worked on developing wireless communications, more than 100 years before anyone would hold a smartphone, and methods for delivering clean, free energy.

more

He's big Tesla fan, hence the name of his car company. Tesla is responsible for so much, and gets so little public and educational acknowledgement. Sad.

Elon Musk and Nikola Tesla, pretty much the two men I admire most in the history of the earth.

Guess it is a fair price for using his name for the electric car company anyway :-D

He's big Tesla fan, hence the name of his car company. Tesla is responsible for so much, and gets so little public and educational acknowledgement. Sad.

I think that's changing quite a lot these days.  More and more people are becoming aware of the things he did, thanks to lots of documentary programmes about him.