Windows 8.1 upgrade - need help - Samsung ultrabook

I have a Samsung ultrabook with windows 7.

I have a windows 8 upgrade key. I now decided to move to Windows 8.1

I was thinking of a clean install of Windows 8.1, formatting my PC

I then realized that If I format, the Samsung recovery will be gone too.

I also thought of the following:

- Do a Windows 7 factory restore (from Samsung recovery)

- Take a backup of Recovery (Optional)

- Upgrade to Windows 8 & then Windows 8.1 

With this I will retain the recovery. Unfortunately there is a problem with this. i have a 1TB HDD and when I bought this it came with 1 TB in C:\ . I made a logical partition to C: & D: 

Last time when I did a restore from recovery, I lost the D:\ meaning it wasn't showing up. After some days of struggle and running multiple software I got the D: back with all data in tact. Sadly I don't remember the software name.

What all options do I have to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and 

- Retain recovery

- retain D:\ with data

I have HP dm1-3020US (this is also kind of ultrabook). Came with Win 7 (64bit). I have installed 8.1 Pro. This is how I did it:

1. I purchased SSD (you may choose to use your default HD).

2. Clean install Windows 7. NOTE: you do not need to put in Product ID key. Just skip or press next. And do not install drivesr or update anything.

3. From the desktop, install Windows 8 upgrade. (choose the option the "do nothing" for clean install). I did both (W7 & W8) from USB drive.

4. Once installed, Update your system by going to Windows Update.

5. Then Finally, go to Store and update your ultrabook to Windows 8.1.

There is no way, the recovery partition (if this is what you mean by recovery),  is going to stay there if you do a clean install. Since a clean install wipes the hdd. Unless you create the recovery cd's / DVD's before you format.

If D is a separate partition of C, dont delete D, when you format, then it'll be there after the format / reinstall.

It's like the hdd on this. There's 4 partitions C D E F. But, if I do a clean install all I do is format C. D E F remain. Since D has all the windows updates / office updates on it, and programs I've paid for on it

Just nuke the recovery partition do a clean install of 8 and then make a drive image to restore from instead of the recovery partition. This way you'll have something to recover from plus none of the crapware.

Well in the past I did similar to this on my Sony laptop. I formatted my C:\ and with it I the recovery partition too. I installed Windows all worked well except the drivers. Even the downloaded drivers from Sony didn't work :-/ 

I just don't want to repeat the same mistake twice