fresh install of win 8.1 from manufacturer install

I have a lenovo x230 that runs win 8.1, after removing the hdd and replacing it with an ssd I realized that my bootable usb install is in fact win 8.1 pro. That's why it wouldn't accept the license key. I'm wondering where can I get a clean iso of win 8.1 non-pro? :p

The copy of 8.1 contains Core and Pro. It installs the edition based on the key that you insert or the built-in OEM key. If it was originally Windows 8, you would have to install 8.1 using a generic key, then activate with your genuine key after install.

The copy of 8.1 contains Core and Pro. It installs the edition based on the key that you insert or the built-in OEM key. If it was originally Windows 8, you would have to install 8.1 using a generic key, then activate with your genuine key after install.

i probably used my own pro key the first time they asked. Where can I get a generic key for 8.1?

i probably used my own pro key the first time they asked. Where can I get a generic key for 8.1?

<snipped>

We do not allow posts that circumvent normal Windows activation practices. Sorry!

this is the one most people use

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

it'll allow you to install but to activate you'll need to put your windows 8.0 key in after install

Thanks! I'll use that 8.0 key even though i'll be installing 8.1, right?

you have it backwards a bit. the generic key is for 8.1 because you can't use an 8.0 key to install 8.1 for whatever reason

but yes. you'll use that key to install 8.1 then your own key to activate

this is the one most people use

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

it'll allow you to install but to activate you'll need to put your windows 8.0 key in after install

I got an error: key doesn't match image i'm trying to install. The image is Win 8.1 Pro.

I got an error: key doesn't match image i'm trying to install. The image is Win 8.1 Pro.

hmm the windows 8/8.1 images should contain both core & pro and will install one or the other based on the key

are you trying to install pro and that's where your issue is?

the generic key i posted was for Core. if you're having trouble using it you may have a bad image. i'd download a new image either from microsoft's website or a torrent site

if you are trying to install pro then this is the generic key for that

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

edit: use these instructions if you need a new Windows 8.1 image http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8-1-iso/

hmm the windows 8/8.1 images should contain both core & pro and will install one or the other based on the key

the generic key i posted was for Core. if you're having trouble using it you may have a bad image. i'd download a new image either from microsoft's website or a torrent site

My issue is that I have a usb win 8.1 pro iso, I used it for my pro license. Now I have another laptop with with win 8.1 non-pro (upgraded from 8.0).

I'm trying to use the same pro iso to install it on on the other laptop (non-pro license).

If there's no clean workaround, I can download a non-pro iso, but I don't know from which clean source.

If there's no clean workaround, I can download a non-pro iso, but I don't know from which clean source.

check my previous post again, i just edited it with instructions how to get an image straight from microsoft

edit: use these instructions if you need a new Windows 8.1 image http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8-1-iso/

I used this trick a while ago to get my hands on Win 8.1 Worked like a charm

not meaning to threadjack, but I didn't see any sense in making a new thread just to ask one question: On my new laptop, it has win8.1 core. I have a win8.1 pro w/Media center key, but I had that key in use on my laptop that was stolen. Would it be possible to upgrade my 8.1 core OEM to 8.1 pro w/Media Center retail using the same key? I've never done this before, only performed clean installs with retail ISO's, and I'm not sure about this OEM stuff too much. I'd really like to purchase an upgrade key, but can't afford it at this time due to court costs. If anybody could help me with this, I'd be forever in their debt! I don't want to mess up my current install, or be stuck with a messed up system. I mean I have a factory backup on this new Lenovo, but I've never had to use anything like that before either. Any help is truly appreciated. :)

edit: if anyone here has a 8.1 pro key that they do not need or ever plan on using, I'd take that as well. Microsoft really made this whole thing confusing to the max! I'm hoping that they get this tangled web of a mess sorted out with 9, I really do, because I need bitlocker REALLY REALLY badly for my removable USB drives and my hard drive. That's the only reason I'm asking. I don't want to have to worry that if I get robbed again, that my data will be openly available to thugs on the street, as I have some really valuable data that I don't want anyone to get their hands on, and I know how easy it is to get a password blanker (ntpasswd, for instance). 

not meaning to threadjack, but I didn't see any sense in making a new thread just to ask one question: On my new laptop, it has win8.1 core. I have a win8.1 pro w/Media center key, but I had that key in use on my laptop that was stolen. Would it be possible to upgrade my 8.1 core OEM to 8.1 pro w/Media Center retail using the same key? I've never done this before, only performed clean installs with retail ISO's, and I'm not sure about this OEM stuff too much. I'd really like to purchase an upgrade key, but can't afford it at this time due to court costs. If anybody could help me with this, I'd be forever in their debt! I don't want to mess up my current install, or be stuck with a messed up system. I mean I have a factory backup on this new Lenovo, but I've never had to use anything like that before either. Any help is truly appreciated. :)

edit: if anyone here has a 8.1 pro key that they do not need or ever plan on using, I'd take that as well. Microsoft really made this whole thing confusing to the max! I'm hoping that they get this tangled web of a mess sorted out with 9, I really do, because I need bitlocker REALLY REALLY badly for my removable USB drives and my hard drive. That's the only reason I'm asking. I don't want to have to worry that if I get robbed again, that my data will be openly available to thugs on the street, as I have some really valuable data that I don't want anyone to get their hands on, and I know how easy it is to get a password blanker (ntpasswd, for instance). 

Try to use the Pro/MC key to upgrade your current install.  It should let you know if there's an issue.  If it doesn't work, maybe try calling Microsoft.  If you purchased the first key, they should be able to help you out.

Did you try removing or renaming the ei.cfg on the usb installer so that you can choose whether to install 8.1 or 8.1 Pro?  Not sure if that applies to 8.1 because I've always used Pro so never bothered.

Try to use the Pro/MC key to upgrade your current install.  It should let you know if there's an issue.  If it doesn't work, maybe try calling Microsoft.  If you purchased the first key, they should be able to help you out.

Well, bummer. I forgot, my key was in a text file on my desktop on my stolen laptop, so it's gone. Crap. I'm screwed. Dang it.Should have backed it up to the cloud.  :cry: I'll search my hotmail to see if it's still there, then I'll let ya know.

Edit: found it, but it didn't work. Crap. Guess I'm SOL if this laptop gets stolen too. *sigh*  :punch:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

The upgrade dialog will happily accept a key that's blacklisted as long as it's valid and the Windows install will become deactivated after reboot. It will NOT accept a non-MC key even if it's valid after that, requiring either a reinstall or fiddling with the registry and slmgr to get it working again. :/

The "free" key that I got from Microsoft for Media Center at RTM no longer works. Apparently it got invalidated after the offer ended.

Microsoft couldn't have made this more confusing if they tried.

My friend, I believe you underestimate Microsoft's uncanny ability to confuse itself vicariously through all of us.

If Lenovo is anything like Dell, you need to make sure you do the following:

1. Find your receipt and possibly date of purchase.

2. Register your product online, it might be still registered to the store you got it from.

3. Wait for transfer of ownership, or they might help you on the phone to speed it up.

4. Order recovery DVDs.

5. ... Profit?

As far as i Know the 8.1 installer takes both OEM and retail keys. So you could use the key from your stolen key then try to activate. If it fails activation do the phone activation and when asked how many computers this has been used on just say 1 and they usually just give you the activation code.

As to why all of this is confusing

You have your Windows 8 product key

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to anyone who has windows 8

But you can't use your windows 8 key during the windows 8.1 install.

The Windows 8 key works perfect once booted into windows 8.1 just not during the setup process.

Really Microsoft, really?? Are you sure you don't have Steve Sinofsky hidden in a closet somewhere still making decisions about Windows

Microsoft couldn't have made this more confusing if they tried.

Agreed, I really dislike how they handled windows 8.1. Making it more difficult than it has to be for a clean install for no real reason.

As far as i Know the 8.1 installer takes both OEM and retail keys. So you could use the key from your stolen key then try to activate. If it fails activation do the phone activation and when asked how many computers this has been used on just say 1 and they usually just give you the activation code.

As to why all of this is confusing

You have your Windows 8 product key

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to anyone who has windows 8

But you can't use your windows 8 key during the windows 8.1 install.

The Windows 8 key works perfect once booted into windows 8.1 just not during the setup process.

Really Microsoft, really?? Are you sure you don't have Steve Sinofsky hidden in a closet somewhere still making decisions about Windows

For once I totally agree with you.

Why can't we just use or legally purchased Win 8.0 key when installing Win 8.1? 

It's a free F$%king upgrade, let's make it as easy as possible to get as many of us on the latest version