35 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/polar-vortex-flashback-experts-say-rare-summer-cold-front-way-n153246

'Polar Vortex' Flashback? Experts Say Rare Summer Cold Front on the Way

Remember last winter's cold spot, which turned "polar vortex" into a phrase that sent chills through the spines of Americans east of the Mississippi River? Get ready for a flashback. This time it's a cool wave sweeping away summer's heat. Morning temperatures could dip into the 50s for many Midwesterners next week, potentially setting seasonal records, according to The Weather Channel.

The Washington Post's Jason Samenow says the weather pattern bears a "haunting resemblance" to January's big freeze. The jet stream is dipping down farther south than usual over the eastern United States, just as it did back then. The cause? It's Typhoon Neoguri, thousands of miles to the west, according to the Weather Underground's Jeff Masters. That storm is sparking a chain reaction of weather shifts, including the Eastern cooldown as well as a strong ridge of high pressure over western North America. That means next week is going to be a hot one in the West.

Bearing a haunting resemblance to Januarys brutally cold weather pattern, a deep pool of cool air from the Gulf of Alaska will plunge into the Great Lakes early next week and then ooze towards the East Coast.

BsNwzDACIAAlu_s.png

Posted

Get ready for some nice, 70 degree weather, folks! :laugh:

1 person likes this

Posted

Get ready for some nice, 70 degree weather, folks! :laugh:

My wallet certainly will be happy about this. Been in the 90's for so long and my AC has ran so much this summer it'll be nice to have some cooler weather for a change.

Posted

We'll be down in the 50

Posted

CT needs this cooldown now, my electric bill has doubled trying to keep the apartment at a reasonable level this year

It is refreshing to see a news article about weather that didn't devolve into the usual "global warming" tripe they usually devolve into and actually stuck to science for once 

Posted

CT needs this cooldown now, my electric bill has doubled trying to keep the apartment at a reasonable level this year

It is refreshing to see a news article about weather that didn't devolve into the usual "global warming" tripe they usually devolve into and actually stuck to science for once 

I'd be happy too if I was paying electricity for AC xD I hate the heat so any heatwave is bad to me and any "coolwave" is welcome here in the UK! :D Bring back the rain please!

Also, not to be off topic, you're saying global warming (Climate change) isn't science? o.o

Posted

no its not Global Warming, but Climate Change even when the climates changes into something temperately nice!, please fork-over the nice climate tax??

Posted

Posted

no its not Global Warming, but Climate Change even when the climates changes into something temperately nice!, please fork-over the nice climate tax??

There's a reason why it's called global warming and not Tulsa warming.

2 people like this

Posted

Well hopefully this means it will be warmer than usual up here in Alaska, that's what happened over the winter whenever the polar vortex dropped down over the northeastern US. I could use some mid-70 degree weather!

1 person likes this

Posted

Last year the Plymouth county fair had a RECORD number of people. It's usually at the end of July and it's usually so sticky and hot but last year it was ######ING GORGEOUS outside. It was so nice in fact that even I went 2 days in a row!

Posted

Hate to break it to ya, but this is being caused by the warming of the polar regions.

You can't boil water unless you melt the ice first. When the poles are void of ice, then the real misery is going to begin.

This planet is so "f"ed. Enjoy what we have while we still do, because the lives of your children and grandchildren will be a lot worse, unfortuantely. The shame of it is that humans ruined it all. We had a paradise and threw it away.

(Old article. Sorry. I stand by my main point, though)

4 people like this

Posted

Too cold? GW
Too hot? GW
Too wet? GW
Too dry? GW
Too much snow? GW
Too little snow? GW
Lots of tropical storms? GW
No tropical storms? GW

/s
1 person likes this

Posted

Too cold? GW Gun Control
Too hot?  GW Gun Control
Too wet? GW Gun Control
Too dry? GW Gun Control
Too much snow? GW Gun Control
Too little snow? GW Gun Control
Lots of tropical storms? GW Gun Control
No tropical storms? GW Gun Control

/s Trolled

FTFY :p

2 people like this

Posted

Sounds great and counter to climate change (global warming)... but it's not. If the cooler temperatures down here come at the expense of a warmer polar region, that's actually very very bad. It's the poles that are warming the fastest and where the ice melt is occurring.

The more ice that melts, the lower the albedo of the poles and consequently the faster the warming and sea level rise. It's a positive feedback loop that is only being reinforced (if even only slightly) by our CO2 contributions, pushing CO2 concentrations to their highest levels in several hundred thousand years.

1374088243357.jpg

This is not natural variation and it's only accelerating.

2 people like this

Posted

Now the local weathercasters are saying next winter may be a rerun of last year :angry:

Calm down, Doc! It's not possible to predict the weather that far ahead, and whenever they try, they invariably end up looking like idiots. :p

Posted

I dunno why all you folks are worried.  If the ice caps all melt, look what happens to the US.

global_warming_vs_MLB.jpg

Now, can anyone here seriously tell me that you'd miss Florida or Washington DC?  Whilst keeping a straight face? :p

Posted

Too cold? GW
Too hot? GW
Too wet? GW
Too dry? GW
Too much snow? GW
Too little snow? GW
Lots of tropical storms? GW
No tropical storms? GW

Yeah. I mean, never mind all the scientific evidence... let's just ignore that and post snarky comments online.  :rolleyes:

All of those things can be attributed to climate change without any contradiction and the sad thing is that you know it. You have chosen an ideological position and warp everything around it to fit your worldview. It's the same with other topics as well, where you reject overwhelming evidence and reason because it doesn't suit your ideology. It's one thing to believe that climate change exists but that we shouldn't address it because of the economic impact or because future technologies will be better suited to tackling it; it's another to claim it doesn't exist or that humans aren't responsible for it (you seem to switch from one to the other at whim).

2 people like this

Posted

I dunno why all you folks are worried.  If the ice caps all melt, look what happens to the US.

global_warming_vs_MLB.jpg

Now, can anyone here seriously tell me that you'd miss Florida or Washington DC?  Whilst keeping a straight face? :p

I dunno about you but i like Florida, but...i would welcome some Ocean front property in Arkansas :)

Posted

I dunno about you but i like Florida, but...i would welcome some Ocean front property in Arkansas :)

You smirked! I saw that all the way from here! :p

Posted

Calm down, Doc! It's not possible to predict the weather that far ahead, and whenever they try, they invariably end up looking like idiots. :p

this time last year our local weather people said last winter would be the worst in ages and the coldest, they were right..... the year before they said that winter would be warm, they were right... either they are getting better or their guessing correctly :rofl:

Posted

Yay, I live in Michgan... Woo-hoo... :(

Posted

Its barely been 90 here in CT... Disappointing 'summer'.

Posted

To bad this cold front won't make it down here in S. Florida. Once again the only way it'll be cool here in the summer is if an asteroid hits the planet or there's a nuclear winter/volcanic winter going on.

Posted

Cold air "leaking down" means it gets warmer in the polar regions, and ice melts faster. So, we are witnessing the beginning of the end... But let's just continue to buy iPhones and kill each other in religious wars. Our race is a joke.

1 person likes this