Aruba Networks

Anyone into Aruba networks? I have some questions regarding certifications, etc and I'd like to know your experience and thoughts.

Isn't Aruba network the alternative to Cisco, you know, if you don't have a good budget, and actually, i'd love to hear about them as well, as I am back into getting more certs myself.

Isn't Aruba network the alternative to Cisco, you know, if you don't have a good budget, and actually, i'd love to hear about them as well, as I am back into getting more certs myself.

Somehow yes, they are and some others such: Unifi and Meraki nowadays.

meraki is owned by cisco.  https://meraki.cisco.com/

They require a internet connection to configure them.  I was turned off by this as we have several isolated networks that aren't internet accessible.  You are able to modifiy them and then put them into the isolated networks and they are supposed to hold their config, but if you have any config changes that are needed or want to do any sort of monitoring or control of the network you will need to have that constant internet connection so that the access points can phone home.

I walked into a aruba setup once.  Being that I only have limited experience with it I will hold my tongue.

Yeah, Cisco bought them not long ago, I guess it was sometime in 2012. I haven't worked at all with them but I've heard from a friend that his company started working with them and he got one for testing + 3 years license (I was not jealous at all) :/

Was the setup you did CLI or GUI? How was their GUI? Fun to work with or creepy and hard to find your way around?

Schools here tend to love the meraki stuff. They are really pushing it here. We work with Virgin Media and some of their engineers went on the course and they get all the gear to play with. The only Aruba setup I have come across is a wireless install that was supposed to be rubbish but I think this was down to the contractor installing it rather than the stuff itself.