Photo

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,155 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 18:14

Republicans who signed up for Obamacare this year are liking their new insurance coverage, according to a new survey.

A poll of Obamacare enrollees published Thursday by the Commonwealth Fund found that 74 percent of newly insured Republicans are happy with the plans they bought. Overall, 77 percent of people who had insurance prior to the rollout of the Affordable Care Act said they are pleased with the new coverage they obtained in the last year.

The survey revealed the current uninsured rate among working-age adults in the U.S. has dropped to 15 percent, down from 20 percent in July-September 2013 -- meaning an estimated 9.5 million people have gained coverage since then.

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_5574079.html

That is what we call checkmate, kids. The endless rhetoric of the GOP has failed. Obamacare will be tweaked, like almost all laws are, but it isn't going anywhere.  :D

#2 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,104 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 13 July 2014 - 18:23

I'm waiting for one of our usual GOP'ers to come and debunk everything you just posted

#3 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,055 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 18:24

Which is a shame.

The same coverage I had before now costs double what it did before.

#4 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 1,011 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 18:38

The GOP like it because it will force the people without insurance to buy one and they should be happy because they were crying about people with not insurance going to hospitals for emergencies and not paying for.

#5 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,128 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 19:42

Not even a little bit surprised. My wife is on an exchange plan and its pretty excellent.

#6 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• 583 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 19:47

Which is a shame.

Same. For me costs are now almost doubled but coverage is slightly worse.

#7 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 00:55

its called dumbing down, a popular trend to milk more money by charging more and providing less.

#8 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,328 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:19

I'm waiting for one of our usual GOP'ers to come and debunk everything you just posted

Or how about a Democrat that isn't buying that line?

Here's a reality-check (at least in Maryland) - costs are up and doctors are fleeing the system (especially in two heavily in-demand areas - mental health and family practice).  And by "fleeing the system", I mean exactly  that - they are going to either all-cash OR out of medicine altogether.

For Medicare and Medicaid (the lowest end of the system) it is FAR worse.

How do you propose to fix that?

#9 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:23

Which is a shame.

My sister can't work anymore due to back issues caused at her last job, and couldn't afford healthcare, but she now only has to pay $10/month for healthcare.

My healthcare was covered by my job, but I upped my plan this year to cover my daughter, but it's only $450/month including dental and vision.

Health companies were raising costs long before Obamacare. It's just an excuse. Look at healthcare in other countries. It's a tenth of the cost here because they bid out supplies nationally, among other things. I watched a special on prosthetics and replacement hips, etc., and it was pretty interesting.

Maybe you should read this as well. THAT'S why costs are so high. Along with drug companies.

#10 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,051 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:28

Which is a shame.

I haven't spent much time studying Obamacare, but I have always had coverage, and it hasn't changed at all. Clearly, some are affected more than others.

Here's a reality-check (at least in Maryland) - costs are up and doctors are fleeing the system (especially in two heavily in-demand areas - mental health and family practice).  And by "fleeing the system", I mean exactly  that - they are going to either all-cash OR out of medicine altogether.

I don't doubt your experience but I highly doubt any doctors are going to of medicine due to Obamacare. They'll just go somewhere else to enrich themselves within the healthcare industry.

I do know a few on Medicare/Medicaid and it's great for them. Not sure why you think it is not, because of Obamacare. Can you expound?

#11 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,055 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:29

My sister can't work anymore due to back issues caused at her last job, and couldn't afford healthcare, but she now only has to pay $10/month for healthcare.

My healthcare was covered by my job, but I upped my plan this year to cover my daughter, but it's only $450/month including dental and vision.

There are certainly some perks with obamacare, especially in a case like your sister.

But for those of us that earn just a little bit more than the subsidies allow, its a punishment.

If only obama hadn't lied when he said we could keep our old plans if we wanted to (he obviously didn't have the foresight to see that insurance companies would cancel all their old plans).  I paid for private insurance, and I cannot fathom why it needed to be doubled in cost.

#12 SpeedyTheSnail

SpeedyTheSnail

Resident Snail Herder

• 1,563 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:31

I would have had to pay 1/3 to 1/2 of my annual salary to have medical coverage with Obamacare. Not very affordable, since I only make $30,000 a year with a wife and a baby. Tax credits don't mean ###### when you can't afford the up front cost anyway.

I am very happy with my employer healthcare -- Only about 15% of my annual salary and it covers more than Obamacare.

Anybody who thinks it's great is on Medicaid or his talking out of their ass. Those who have spent 2 months trying to enroll into an account, and then another month to find estimates because they need to verify their identity (which illegal immigrants never have to do, and libs cry whenever voter ID laws are talked about). Then when I finally got my quote, I was pretty ###### off and disappointed.

Further that with Obama constantly changing the mandates, and delaying the roll outs, and a company that can't build a simple website that receive a ridiculous amount of money, it most definitely is a failure. When asked, the people supporting it don't have any success stories that they know personally of.

#13 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,104 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:32

You are talking about one instance. The article states 77% are happy, that still leaves 23% unhappy!

I guess Maryland belongs to the 23%

Seems that overall it's still a win

#14 SpeedyTheSnail

SpeedyTheSnail

Resident Snail Herder

• 1,563 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:33

There are certainly some perks with obamacare, especially in a case like your sister.

But for those of us that earn just a little bit more than the subsidies allow, its a punishment.

If only obama hand't lied when he said we could keep our old plans if we wanted to (he obviously didn't have the foresight to see that insurance companies would cancel all their old plans).  I paid for private insurance, and I cannot fathom why it needed to be doubled in cost.

And I also pay around $400 a month and it covers pretty much everything, with a 90% co-insurance amount on the usual. Free pair of glasses, free exams (annually). $25 copay for any office visit that is not standard.

#15 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,055 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:38

And I also pay around $400 a month and it covers pretty much everything, with a 90% co-insurance amount on the usual. Free pair of glasses, free exams (annually). $25 copay for any office visit that is not standard.

My daughter and wife went with an obamacare plan because with me off of it, the price went down to levels closer to last year.

My employer covers my insurance 100%, but I opted for a 500 dollar deductible so I pay like 10 bucks a month.