88 posts in this topic

Posted

Republicans who signed up for Obamacare this year are liking their new insurance coverage, according to a new survey.

A poll of Obamacare enrollees published Thursday by the Commonwealth Fund found that 74 percent of newly insured Republicans are happy with the plans they bought. Overall, 77 percent of people who had insurance prior to the rollout of the Affordable Care Act said they are pleased with the new coverage they obtained in the last year.

The survey revealed the current uninsured rate among working-age adults in the U.S. has dropped to 15 percent, down from 20 percent in July-September 2013 -- meaning an estimated 9.5 million people have gained coverage since then.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/republicans-health-insurance_n_5574079.html

That is what we call checkmate, kids. The endless rhetoric of the GOP has failed. Obamacare will be tweaked, like almost all laws are, but it isn't going anywhere.  :D

5 people like this

Posted

I'm waiting for one of our usual GOP'ers to come and debunk everything you just posted

2 people like this

Posted

Which is a shame.

The same coverage I had before now costs double what it did before.

8 people like this

Posted

The GOP like it because it will force the people without insurance to buy one and they should be happy because they were crying about people with not insurance going to hospitals for emergencies and not paying for.

Posted

Not even a little bit surprised. My wife is on an exchange plan and its pretty excellent.

Posted

Which is a shame.

Same. For me costs are now almost doubled but coverage is slightly worse.

4 people like this

Posted

its called dumbing down, a popular trend to milk more money by charging more and providing less.

Posted

I'm waiting for one of our usual GOP'ers to come and debunk everything you just posted

Or how about a Democrat that isn't buying that line?

Here's a reality-check (at least in Maryland) - costs are up and doctors are fleeing the system (especially in two heavily in-demand areas - mental health and family practice).  And by "fleeing the system", I mean exactly  that - they are going to either all-cash OR out of medicine altogether.

For Medicare and Medicaid (the lowest end of the system) it is FAR worse.

How do you propose to fix that?

2 people like this

Posted

Which is a shame.

My sister can't work anymore due to back issues caused at her last job, and couldn't afford healthcare, but she now only has to pay $10/month for healthcare.

My healthcare was covered by my job, but I upped my plan this year to cover my daughter, but it's only $450/month including dental and vision.

Health companies were raising costs long before Obamacare. It's just an excuse. Look at healthcare in other countries. It's a tenth of the cost here because they bid out supplies nationally, among other things. I watched a special on prosthetics and replacement hips, etc., and it was pretty interesting.

Maybe you should read this as well. THAT'S why costs are so high. Along with drug companies.

Posted

Which is a shame.

I haven't spent much time studying Obamacare, but I have always had coverage, and it hasn't changed at all. Clearly, some are affected more than others.

Here's a reality-check (at least in Maryland) - costs are up and doctors are fleeing the system (especially in two heavily in-demand areas - mental health and family practice).  And by "fleeing the system", I mean exactly  that - they are going to either all-cash OR out of medicine altogether.

I don't doubt your experience but I highly doubt any doctors are going to of medicine due to Obamacare. They'll just go somewhere else to enrich themselves within the healthcare industry.

I do know a few on Medicare/Medicaid and it's great for them. Not sure why you think it is not, because of Obamacare. Can you expound?

1 person likes this

Posted

My sister can't work anymore due to back issues caused at her last job, and couldn't afford healthcare, but she now only has to pay $10/month for healthcare.

My healthcare was covered by my job, but I upped my plan this year to cover my daughter, but it's only $450/month including dental and vision.

There are certainly some perks with obamacare, especially in a case like your sister.

But for those of us that earn just a little bit more than the subsidies allow, its a punishment.

If only obama hadn't lied when he said we could keep our old plans if we wanted to (he obviously didn't have the foresight to see that insurance companies would cancel all their old plans).  I paid for private insurance, and I cannot fathom why it needed to be doubled in cost.

1 person likes this

Posted

I would have had to pay 1/3 to 1/2 of my annual salary to have medical coverage with Obamacare. Not very affordable, since I only make $30,000 a year with a wife and a baby. Tax credits don't mean ###### when you can't afford the up front cost anyway.

I am very happy with my employer healthcare -- Only about 15% of my annual salary and it covers more than Obamacare.

Anybody who thinks it's great is on Medicaid or his talking out of their ass. Those who have spent 2 months trying to enroll into an account, and then another month to find estimates because they need to verify their identity (which illegal immigrants never have to do, and libs cry whenever voter ID laws are talked about). Then when I finally got my quote, I was pretty ###### off and disappointed.

Further that with Obama constantly changing the mandates, and delaying the roll outs, and a company that can't build a simple website that receive a ridiculous amount of money, it most definitely is a failure. When asked, the people supporting it don't have any success stories that they know personally of.

2 people like this

Posted

You are talking about one instance. The article states 77% are happy, that still leaves 23% unhappy!

I guess Maryland belongs to the 23%

Seems that overall it's still a win

Posted

There are certainly some perks with obamacare, especially in a case like your sister.

But for those of us that earn just a little bit more than the subsidies allow, its a punishment.

If only obama hand't lied when he said we could keep our old plans if we wanted to (he obviously didn't have the foresight to see that insurance companies would cancel all their old plans).  I paid for private insurance, and I cannot fathom why it needed to be doubled in cost.

And I also pay around $400 a month and it covers pretty much everything, with a 90% co-insurance amount on the usual. Free pair of glasses, free exams (annually). $25 copay for any office visit that is not standard.

Posted

And I also pay around $400 a month and it covers pretty much everything, with a 90% co-insurance amount on the usual. Free pair of glasses, free exams (annually). $25 copay for any office visit that is not standard.

My daughter and wife went with an obamacare plan because with me off of it, the price went down to levels closer to last year.

My employer covers my insurance 100%, but I opted for a 500 dollar deductible so I pay like 10 bucks a month.

Posted

I would have had to pay 1/3 to 1/2 of my annual salary to have medical coverage with Obamacare. Not very affordable, since I only make $30,000 a year with a wife and a baby. Tax credits don't mean ###### when you can't afford the up front cost anyway.

I am very happy with my employer healthcare -- Only about 15% of my annual salary and it covers more than Obamacare.

I don't think anyone said Obamacare would be better than employer subsidized healthcare. I don't know if you ever checked, but prior to Obamacare, if you were not employed with an employer paying the lionshare of your premiums, health insurance costs, especially if you have a family, have always been outrageous. If you have employer subsidized insurance, I'm not sure why you'd even be considering Obamacare.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think anyone said Obamacare would be better than employer subsidized healthcare. I don't know if you ever checked, but prior to Obamacare, if you were not employed with an employer paying the lionshare of your premiums, health insurance costs, especially if you have a family, have always been outrageous. If you have employer subsidized insurance, I'm not sure why you'd even be considering Obamacare.

That is not necessarily true.  I had great private insurance for 300 a month for a family of three prior to obamacare.

Posted

That is not necessarily true.  I had great private insurance for 300 a month for a family of three prior to obamacare.

Wow. I would say that was uncommon, at least in the US. If you were getting full family coverage for that, I see why you're not happy.

1 person likes this

Posted

We had great insurance for $0 a month, $5-$20 prescription copays and $10 office visits. Medical supplies were almost all covered 100%.

With the Obamacare tax on good health plans our coverage is being reduced and we have to pay for a LOT of things we never had to before, including the first $2,500 of any medical supplies. Not good when you're an amputee.

So, enjoy yourselves on Obamacare as the rest of us are taking it in the neck to pay for it.

As for Commonwealth Fund, FindTheBest.com, an independent info service, lists it as a liberal think tank. FTB lists info on about anything, including the political leanings of corporations and nonprofits.

Expecting anything but the result the Commonwealth Fund delivered may be a bit much to ask.

http://think-tanks.findthebest.com/q/357/1409/What-is-the-political-affiliation-of-the-think-tank-Commonwealth-Fund

7 people like this

Posted

Wow. I would say that was uncommon, at least in the US. If you were getting full family coverage for that, I see why you're not happy.

Yeah its a health insurance company thats only for a couple states, but it was handy.

Posted

If only obama hadn't lied when he said we could keep our old plans if we wanted to (he obviously didn't have the foresight to see that insurance companies would cancel all their old plans).  I paid for private insurance, and I cannot fathom why it needed to be doubled in cost.

adrynalyne - the insurance commissions had new minimum standards slapped on THEM by the Department of Health and Human Services (one of those hidden costs of the Affordable Care Act); all plans offered via exchanges had to meet certain floor standards.  (Even Medicare Advantage plans got caught in the net.)  The insurers themselves had no choice but to comply - of a commission rejects an insurer's plan - which they have ever right to do - the plan dies in that state.  Don't blame the insurers for something that the bureaucracies did.

Posted

adrynalyne - the insurance commissions had new minimum standards slapped on THEM by the Department of Health and Human Services (one of those hidden costs of the Affordable Care Act); all plans offered via exchanges had to meet certain floor standards.  (Even Medicare Advantage plans got caught in the net.)  The insurers themselves had no choice but to comply - of a commission rejects an insurer's plan - which they have ever right to do - the plan dies in that state.  Don't blame the insurers for something that the bureaucracies did.

Can't I?

The coverage didn't change while the cost to us doubled.

3 people like this

Posted

You do realize that their is probably not a single person on this board (with the possible exception of DocM) who would think your a Democrat? Before I propose how to "fix that" why not show a source preferably not a right wing website or blog.

Anybody who thinks it's great is on Medicaid or his talking out of their ass. Those who have spent 2 months trying to enroll into an account, and then another month to find estimates because they need to verify their identity (which illegal immigrants never have to do, and libs cry whenever voter ID laws are talked about). Then when I finally got my quote, I was pretty ###### off and disappointed.

Further that with Obama constantly changing the mandates, and delaying the roll outs, and a company that can't build a simple website that receive a ridiculous amount of money, it most definitely is a failure. When asked, the people supporting it don't have any success stories that they know personally of.

You haven't looked into it at all then because the credit is paid to your insurance company monthly, not given back at the end of the year. Its hard to take what you say seriously when your wrong on basic facts of the mandate.

Posted

I know that I was paying 73 a week for anthem blue cross blue shield for family of three at my job.  $1500 total deductible a year.  $500 each.  Had that for years or cheaper.  went up about 10% a year for the weekly premium.   $15 for prescriptions. $20 copay for doctors visits. 

Loved it.  Fast foward to obama care.  My work told us we would all no longer be able to afford to keep that same plan with the changes it had to make under to rules taking affect.  So we get 1 month notice that we can auto enroll in new plan or get on our own private plan.  

New plan was Anthem lumenos.  A High deductable plan.  I now pay $93 a week.  It pays zero for prescriptions and doctors visits until I meet $4500 deductible each year.  My wife was just put on insulin for the last month of her pregnancy for gestational diabetes.  Anyone care to know how much I had to pay under my new plan for the prescription for 2 boxes of insulin pens?  $736 at pharmacy.  Out of pocket price.  So screw obama care.  and yeah I did try in the month notice I had to get out of employer health care.  I found a plan that was similar to what I was used to as far as coverage, but would have had to pay close to $500 a month in premiums.  Why?  because I don't get any subsidies or breaks, because I work at an employer who offered health coverage. 

I was willing to accept that know I had a child on the way and It would be very expensive under new work plan.  So I try signing up on the healthcare site 3 different times.  not once did I get a call or approval from anyone or any company.  to this day I still never got any notice.  So I was forced to take my works insurance.  I make 29k a year and this year I will have to spend $9336 to pay years premiums and $4500 deductible.  So 1/3 of my gross goes to my new "affordable for everyone" healthcare. 

Im glad everyone else loves it though.

3 people like this

Posted

We had great insurance for $0 a month, $5-$20 prescription copays and $10 office visits. Medical supplies were almost all covered 100%.

With the Obamacare tax on good health plans our coverage is being reduced and we have to pay for a LOT of things we never had to before, including the first $2,500 of any medical supplies. Not good when you're an amputee.

So, enjoy yourselves on Obamacare as the rest of us are taking it in the neck to pay for it.

As for Commonwealth Fund, FindTheBest.com, an independent info service, lists it as a liberal think tank. FTB lists info on about anything, including the political leanings of corporations and nonprofits.

Expecting anything but the result the Commonwealth Fund delivered may be a bit much to ask.

http://think-tanks.findthebest.com/q/357/1409/What-is-the-political-affiliation-of-the-think-tank-Commonwealth-Fund

Well if the only bad thing you can say about an organisation dedicated to better healthcare is that it is "liberal", well I guess that makes it a pretty good organisation then. 

Edit: The Commonwealth Fund is one of those organisations that people generally tend to trust; they are regarded sorta as the Cochrane Group equivalent for evaluating health-care systems. ,Their perceived tendencies are more due to the fact that the center in US politics tends to the right of the rest of the world. The Commonwealth Fund is not liberal per se, it's just the fact that their favoured design of the ideal healthcare system tends to be accepted in the United States more by liberals than conservatives.