FRAPS screenshots too dark

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 13 July 2014 - 19:02

Every time I screenshot a game in FRAPS, the finished screenshot is darker that what is displaying on my game. This isn't an issue in daytime but any screens I want to show at night time its unviewable. The funny thing is if I open it in Photoshop, it shows excactly how I see it in-game, oddly I get the same result using the Metro Photo viewer, it appears how it is in-game.

I've searched on all the FRAPS support pages and all the answers were just "Well I dont have any issues, your monitor must be calibrated wrong". But that wouldn't explain how I can have the same image on the screen twice and still have different results?

Any advice? Anyone in the same situation?

8Ed1S0c.png

#2 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 July 2014 - 19:25

It's windows photo viewer. If I view a pic in anything else but photo viewer, it displays correctly.

#3 OP McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

Posted 13 July 2014 - 19:58

It's windows photo viewer. If I view a pic in anything else but photo viewer, it displays correctly.

They also display in Chrome too dark. So if I upload them anywhere they're too dark. 

#4 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 July 2014 - 20:05

Edit the screenshots in the editor and adjust the brightness That simple.

#5 soulburner

soulburner

Neowinian

Posted 13 July 2014 - 22:16

I also had this problem when I was using Fraps and it was very annoying. I didn't realize the screenshots looked fine in Photoshop, though - so if you want to post/show only a few of them, just open in PS and... save them. The loss of quality should not be significant (if visible at all - depends on compression settings), but it can be problematic if you want to do this to hundreds+ files. I think MSI Afterburner doesn't have this problem so if you're not emotionally attached to Fraps it might be a good reason to stop using it.

#6 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 13 July 2014 - 22:27

Whoa, check out those graphics.

#7 OP McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:10

I also had this problem when I was using Fraps and it was very annoying. I didn't realize the screenshots looked fine in Photoshop, though - so if you want to post/show only a few of them, just open in PS and... save them. The loss of quality should not be significant (if visible at all - depends on compression settings), but it can be problematic if you want to do this to hundreds+ files. I think MSI Afterburner doesn't have this problem so if you're not emotionally attached to Fraps it might be a good reason to stop using it.

I tried resaving them in Photoshop but the edited ones show up as dark still in photo viewer. Even tried multiple file types to no avail. 

#8 OP McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:58

I found the problem. Something about Photo Viewer being a Colour coded app, I deleted the Colour profile for my monitor and photos aren't as dark in picture viewer any more. Apparently this has been a common bug since Vista.