FRAPS screenshots too dark

Question

Every time I screenshot a game in FRAPS, the finished screenshot is darker that what is displaying on my game. This isn't an issue in daytime but any screens I want to show at night time its unviewable. The funny thing is if I open it in Photoshop, it shows excactly how I see it in-game, oddly I get the same result using the Metro Photo viewer, it appears how it is in-game.

I've searched on all the FRAPS support pages and all the answers were just "Well I dont have any issues, your monitor must be calibrated wrong". But that wouldn't explain how I can have the same image on the screen twice and still have different results?

Any advice? Anyone in the same situation?

8Ed1S0c.png

7 answers to this question

It's windows photo viewer. If I view a pic in anything else but photo viewer, it displays correctly.

They also display in Chrome too dark. So if I upload them anywhere they're too dark. 

I also had this problem when I was using Fraps and it was very annoying. I didn't realize the screenshots looked fine in Photoshop, though - so if you want to post/show only a few of them, just open in PS and... save them. The loss of quality should not be significant (if visible at all - depends on compression settings), but it can be problematic if you want to do this to hundreds+ files. I think MSI Afterburner doesn't have this problem so if you're not emotionally attached to Fraps it might be a good reason to stop using it.

I also had this problem when I was using Fraps and it was very annoying. I didn't realize the screenshots looked fine in Photoshop, though - so if you want to post/show only a few of them, just open in PS and... save them. The loss of quality should not be significant (if visible at all - depends on compression settings), but it can be problematic if you want to do this to hundreds+ files. I think MSI Afterburner doesn't have this problem so if you're not emotionally attached to Fraps it might be a good reason to stop using it.

I tried resaving them in Photoshop but the edited ones show up as dark still in photo viewer. Even tried multiple file types to no avail. 

I found the problem. Something about Photo Viewer being a Colour coded app, I deleted the Colour profile for my monitor and photos aren't as dark in picture viewer any more. Apparently this has been a common bug since Vista.