Photo

Do you like removable batteries in cell phones?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like removable batteries in cell phones

Do you like removable batteries in cell phones

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 00:22

Do you like removable batteries in cell phones

My personal opinion is yes.  Because the phone hardware will almost always outlive it's battery. Now I get that a lot of people upgrade their phones, once a year. But personally I like to keep hardware around for a while. I also like to have the option if the battery does go bad prematurely to just buy another one and not have to send the phone in.

I think it's pretty sad and wasteful that the new trend is for everything to have batteries that are non removable.

Then again that's my opinion. What do you guys think about cell phones that have removable batteries?

Lets also take the time to talk about how to take care of that battery built into your phone that you can't replace and are stuck with

#2 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 988 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 00:31

I don't like cell phones that have the battery removable. It feels like a blackberry.

#3 devn00b

devn00b

Bong On

• 485 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 00:31

For me its all about choice! Built in batteries just take away my choice of what I want to do with the phone or the battery. 

I can't run a larger battery for more life, cant use the battery in other phones (if needed or able), cant sell the battery once the phone is done but the bat is still good (friend just mentioned this one I dont personally do). etc

#4 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 4,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 00:32

What's not to like?

#5 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,381 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 14 July 2014 - 00:34

I don't hot-swap batteries in my Samsung phones but as soon as I buy said phone, I buy a 7,500 mAh battery, so I guess I like phones with removable batteries, even though I only "remove" batteries once :p

#6 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,059 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 14 July 2014 - 00:48

Removable batteries just add bulk to the device, but they can also be a godsend. Just today, my wife's phone crashed (Lumia 820) - so much easier to pull the back off and just pull the battery out for a few seconds.

I haven't owned a device with a removable battery for quite some time, so it isn't a deal breaker for me.

#7 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:07

I like the option. Given batteries are a common point of failure it makes changing them easy.  I once also bought an extended battery for my S4 when I went on a trip. The phone would last 3 days, with 12 hours screen on time. 

Plus with the removable back it opens up the market for new back covers for your phone. 

#8 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,153 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:12

Don't mind having the option, but think the last time I've actually taken advantage of that was back with a Motorola MicroTAC way back when. My current phones go all day with zero issues, so *shrug*. It's a plus on a buying decision, but not a deal breaker, voted "don't care."

#9 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,708 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:23

Removable batteries just add bulk, and the removable casing was prone to breaking. I don't miss those days.

#10 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,639 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:26

I prefer batteries with removable cellphones.

#11 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 27,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:27

I know this isn't a cell phone story, but I gave my parents, a 17 inch dual core laptop I had laying around that had 6gb of ram and an SSD I added. the thing's battery was pretty much shot, couldn't unplug it and walk across the room without the thing dieing. I replaced the battery, but what if the battery was glued in? The laptop still works great.

#12 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,834 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:32

It's always nice if the phone has a user removable battery. However, it's no the end of the world if it doesn't have it. My iPhone 5S doesn't have it, and my HTC One didn't have it. There are other options like battery cases or portable chargers, for phones without removable batteries. I used to require them when I first started using smartphones (back when 1500 mAH was the norm). Nowadays it doesn't matter anymore for me. 

#13 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 27,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:48

Removable batteries just add bulk, and the removable casing was prone to breaking. I don't miss those days.

I don't really get the breaking argument. Then again I have my S3 in a otterbox Case. So I guess i'm not one of those people that have to have thin lol.

But at the same time if the back did pop off, I call that a feature. It works like this. You accidentally drop your phone into a puddle and BOOM, it hits water the back flies off and the battery pops out. Thus saving the phone :D

#14 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,982 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:52

I prefer it, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Hence I have a HTC One... Thought it would be a bad idea, but it's been fantastic. (Y)

#15 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 27,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:54

I prefer it, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Hence I have a HTC One... Thought it would be a bad idea, but it's been fantastic. (Y)

Ya it is fantastic, it makes for a great looking thin phone but when the battery no longer holds a charge and the battery takes a ###### ..... You'll probably be upgrading by then anyway.

Although, being able to remove the battery also lets you get really great deals on eBay without worrying the battery is shot :)