Do you like removable batteries in cell phones?

Do you like removable batteries in cell phones  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like removable batteries in cell phones

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I don't care

I voted yes, but I also miss Symbian Nokias

My Original PS3 wireless controller back from the fatty days has finally died. Won't hold a charge. So I took it apart and found the battery Now I just have to get a new one.

Ebay and amazon still list some stockists in the UK, (I'll make an assumption that this may be the case in the US as well)

Removable batteries don't really add any bulk. They're still fully discrete units even on phones where they're not replaceable. Heck what's even more ridiculous is some phones with the replaceable back covers yet with another layer of plastic that simply seals the battery in. It's anti-consumer in every way.

• Like 3

Removable batteries don't really add any bulk. They're still fully discrete units even on phones where they're not replaceable. Heck what's even more ridiculous is some phones with the replaceable back covers yet with another layer of plastic that simply seals the battery in. It's anti-consumer in every way.

Not a big fan of the Moto G eh? :p

The kobo mini dose this,  but the life of those units is so long that its moot

I think Fahim made a good point, if you have a phone without a removable battery what happens if it crashes?

I must admit i've always pulled the battery out and simply put it in again, however i'm gussing if you hold the power button long enough it will reset of power off.

I voted no, I don't want to be searching for the back casing and battery if I or someone else drops their phone and it battery door, battery and phone go off three (or four!) separate ways!

Love my 925, but miss having the possibility to add an SD card, and you can't remove the battery. It was handy for my older 520 because it would sometimes freeze or lock up, don't really have that issue with the 925 though, and I have plenty of the onboard storage left. :P

Yes. a) because I can easily (and cheaply) replace the battery if it has died or doesn't work as it should anymore and b) being able to pull the battery comes in handy at times when your phone locks up and you need to reboot it (extremely rare but I just like to have that option).

I think Fahim made a good point, if you have a phone without a removable battery what happens if it crashes?

On these devices, there is a button combo that restarts the phone. 

I don't really care.

Same with SD card slot.

Battery:

I will never buy a "spare" battery for my phone.  It lasts me 2 days, and there's always a spare plug with a charger at work so that's fine with me.  The only time it would be nice is camping, but then I like getting away from technology sometimes.

SD Card Slot:

My phone has 32Gb worth of space with 21 currently free.

I'm never going to fill it so don't see the need in extra storage space.

How?

Phones with a removable battery need a battery compartment, whereas phone without a removable battery practically have the battery mounted on the circuit board.  This battery compartment takes space.

The battery itself also has a more robust cover as well because it will be touched.  Again this also takes space.  

Batteries last years and years and I always want to upgrade before the battery looks like its dying.  I have phones that are 4+ years old that I keep for international visitors or to use in case I need a backup and their batteries are still hold a full charge.

The days of needing a spare battery in case you're away from a power point are long gone thanks to wireless charging and portable batteries like this:

It gives you the best of both worlds - a svelte phone without flimsy covers and a portable power source when needed.

Phones with a removable battery need a battery compartment, whereas phone without a removable battery practically have the battery mounted on the circuit board.  This battery compartment takes space.

The battery itself also has a more robust cover as well because it will be touched.  Again this also takes space.  

The space it takes is negligible though

The space it takes is negligible though

When phones are 6-7mm thick, every little bit counts.

Never gonna get a phone without a removable battery. I install custom roms and resetting the phone by removing the battery is the easiest thing to do.

Also for long trips, I bring extra batteries with me and when the juice runs out, I just switch to a charged battery and I'm ready to go in seconds without the need to wait to charge the dead battery.

I absolutely need it. I killed too many hardware by dropping them into water and watching them short-circuit. I bounced a samsung flip phone off the table and into a pitcher of beer once. Pulled battery and washed it, then threw in rice overnight. Worked perfect next day. Try that with HTC one or iPhone. You'll need new.

• 6 months later...