Photo

do you use daily ccleaner ? is there a better alternative?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 drugo

drugo

Neowinian

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:35

hi

do you use ccleaner to clean windows8 or 7 temp and log files ?

do you use daily ?

is there a better alternative?

i started to use it some years ago

never tried other software

thanks

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:39

Daily no, not much reason in that unless you are running VERY low on system resources. No, I run it every sunday with my weekly maintenance routine, 

Ccleaner (to remove extra temp files so they wont be scanned by the next processes)

Malwarebytes Full Scan

Full AV Scan

Disk Defrag (if above 5% fragmentation)

System Reboot

#3 OP drugo

drugo

Neowinian

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:45

Daily no, not much reason in that unless you are running VERY low on system resources. No, I run it every sunday with my weekly maintenance routine, 

Ccleaner (to remove extra temp files so they wont be scanned by the next processes)

Malwarebytes Full Scan

Full AV Scan

Disk Defrag (if above 5% fragmentation)

System Reboot

disk defrag , do you mean ssd optimation or hard disk  defrag?

thanks Geoffrey

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:48

I have yet to change my Main system over to an SSD not worth the cost yet. I run an actual Dfrag with Defraggler if needed.

#5 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:49

Certainly not daily, maybe once every two week.

I tend to use Wise Disc Cleaner including the built in defrag if the system needs it, however CCleaner has a neat feature that allow me to see what's starting up during boot up, I can then disable it if it's not needed.

Also run Malwarebytes quick scan.

Normally have a quick look in Revo Uninstaller just in case something has slipped in I've not noticed.

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:10

Unless your hard disk has less than 10% of free space,  files themselves don't slow down a computer. It boils down to processes actively running on the system, consuming CPU cycles, Memory and Disk io's.

Sure a fragmented hard drive will slow a computer down too, but that really hasn't been an issue since the XP days.

I run CCleaner every once and a while only to gain back some free space.

It's true that 10,000 temporary internet files will make your virus / malware scans take longer and in that case , I do recommend running CCleaner to remove junk files before you scan to make those go faster.

#7 K.John

K.John

Dev

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:30

Try this:

http://www.koshyjohn...ftware/diskmax/

If you want an unbiased review, check this one out by Download.com:

http://download.cnet...4-10912587.html

Full disclosure: I'm the author.

#8 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:44

I haven't used CCleaner in years; I found it always removed some 'unnecessary' registry keys that later messed other things on my system up.  Now, I just use the Windows built-in Disk Cleanup utility.  I have a SSD for my OS and apps, so no need for defragmentation on that end.  And I don't install / uninstall so many programs like I used to many years ago.

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:51

I haven't used CCleaner in years; I found it always removed some 'unnecessary' registry keys that later messed other things on my system up.  Now, I just use the Windows built-in Disk Cleanup utility.  I have a SSD for my OS and apps, so no need for defragmentation on that end.  And I don't install / uninstall so many programs like I used to many years ago.

To be fair there are 2 parts of ccleaner. The file cleaner and the reg cleaner. You don't have to use the reg cleaner.

The one thing I don't like is how it removes DMP files by default. I can't count the time when i'm working on a computer that had been bluescreening and I open ccleaner and run it then after it's half way done, i'm like ...oh ######!!!!!! Because by default it deletes ALL crash dumps. .. I Really wish they would make that off by default.

#10 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 14 July 2014 - 16:01

I only use the file cleaner portion of ccleaner, but definitely not daily. I don't want it to run daily. I run it maybe once a month? I used to run it more back when my only computer was a laptop, and storage was also limited. 

#11 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 14 July 2014 - 16:02

i dont see the need of a cleaning software on my os because its all well structured in the package manager, where i can remove or add things with a single click and dont have to worry about anything else.

sometimes i use ubuntu tweak to uninstall old kernels i dont use anymore, again with 1 click. could not be any better. :)

#12 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 14 July 2014 - 16:03

I use it at home and work once a week. I also installed this http://lifehacker.co...ng-270-new-apps

#13 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 14 July 2014 - 16:21

I never got the point, unless you're REALLY running low on space. Windows' own disk cleanup already takes care of a lot.

Temp files are there for a reason. Sometimes it's to speed up things so they don't have to be regenerated, sometimes it's to make sure an easy uninstall is possible, ... As long as you don't actively need the space it frees up, there's absolutely no reason to use CCleaner and the likes. It certainly won't speed your computer up and might even slow it down because you're basically forcing your computer to regenerate temp files and caches every time you clear it.

#14 OP drugo

drugo

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:46

Try this:

http://www.koshyjohn...ftware/diskmax/

If you want an unbiased review, check this one out by Download.com:

http://download.cnet...4-10912587.html

Full disclosure: I'm the author.

hi

i will try it

does the program call the trim feature when i does delete files?

I use it at home and work once a week. I also installed this http://lifehacker.co...ng-270-new-apps

hi

yes , ccleaner keeps time to start up

but the list of programs is really huge

#15 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:54

I have yet to change my Main system over to an SSD not worth the cost yet. I run an actual Dfrag with Defraggler if needed.

Hold on.  Not worth the cost is subjective.  I've had SSDs for years now and yes, they are worth every single penny.  That is, if you value speed.