DDR3 Didnt fit into slot...

Abit annoyed with this one. My pc is somewhat 3-4 years old, upgraded it and also overclocking it. So i thought to upgrade it abit more with a SSD and 8GB RAM (Going from 4GB DDR2 to 8GB DDR3) My board said it fit and work a DDR3 ram up to 8GB, so brought the

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz

Now when installing it, the pins were different so it wouldn't fit! I actually didn't know the ram had different pins and very annoyed me that i now have to take it back to Amazon and get new ram. How do i tell how many pins my current ram has? so i don't make the same mistake again when i buy DDR3.

Thanks.

You can't put DDR3 sticks into a DDR2 slot. They are physically different.

Oh so how come AIDA64 Extreme Edition said to me my board can fit "Supported Memory Types    DDR2-667, DDR2-800, DDR3-800, DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333 SDRAM"

Abit annoyed with this one. My pc is somewhat 3-4 years old, upgraded it and also overclocking it. So i thought to upgrade it abit more with a SSD and 8GB RAM (Going from 4GB DDR2 to 8GB DDR3) My board said it fit and work a DDR3 ram up to 8GB, so brought the

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz

Now when installing it, the pins were different so it wouldn't fit! I actually didn't know the ram had different pins and very annoyed me that i now have to take it back to Amazon and get new ram. How do i tell how many pins my current ram has? so i don't make the same mistake again when i buy DDR3.

Thanks.

Looking up the current memory part number, or mobo info, should tell you how many pins you need for the memory.

Oh so how come AIDA64 Extreme Edition said to me my board can fit "Supported Memory Types    DDR2-667, DDR2-800, DDR3-800, DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333 SDRAM"

Software isn't perfect, you should look up your motherboard for your computer and not rely on software to find out. Eliminates a lot a potential issues such as this one. :)

AID is telling you what the chip set can support. What you actually get access to is dependent on the mobo maker.

AID is telling you what the chip set can support. What you actually get access to is dependent on the mobo maker.

oh my so there's me thinking i can.. ok thanks everyone who helped straight away. One more question, i got older DDR2 ram (667mhz) currently got DDR2 (800MHZ) in my pc, can they both be mixed? so i'd have 2x2GB DDR2 667MHZ and 2X2GB DDR2 800MHZ

oh my so there's me thinking i can.. ok thanks everyone who helped straight away. One more question, i got older DDR2 ram (667mhz) currently got DDR2 (800MHZ) in my pc, can they both be mixed? so i'd have 2x2GB DDR2 667MHZ and 2X2GB DDR2 800MHZ

Typically you can but the PC will run both sticks at the lowest of the 2 speeds.

So in this case it would throttle your 800 mhz stick down to 667

You can but they will all run at the speed of the slowest module, in this case 667.

I used to have a board that supported both DDR2 and 3, it had 4 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3. Only one kind could be used at a time (for obvious reasons)