Photo

What is an entry level programming job?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 sathenzar

sathenzar

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:24

I have been programming since I was 11, taking it more seriously at about 14 (I'm 25 now). I can work with C#, WPF, php, xml, as well as mysql (I'm going to not list basics such as html, css, etc since the that's a given if you design web sites). I can do some asp.net but realistically I couldn't do it professionally if someone just said "well, design xyz systems" as I could with C# wpf/forms applications.

To sumerize why I am writing this post, my friend just got his 2 year degree and u helped him all through it no problem and was wondering what do you need to know to get an entry level programming job and work your way up?

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:31

I have been programming since I was 11, taking it more seriously at about 14 (I'm 25 now). I can work with C#, WPF, php, xml, as well as mysql (I'm going to not list basics such as html, css, etc since the that's a given if you design web sites). I can do some asp.net but realistically I couldn't do it professionally if someone just said "well, design xyz systems" as I could with C# wpf/forms applications.

To sumerize why I am writing this post, my friend just got his 2 year degree and u helped him all through it no problem and was wondering what do you need to know to get an entry level programming job and work your way up?

http://en.wikipedia....Entry-level_job

#3 OP sathenzar

sathenzar

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:33

Nice, but I was hoping someone could give me a real life example of their experience. I already used Wikipedia and monster.Com like sites.

#4 +techbeck

techbeck

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:37

Nice, but I was hoping someone could give me a real life example of their experience. I already used Wikipedia and monster.Com like sites.

Really depends on the job.  When I first stated out in IT, I was just doing software installs and hardware setups.  That is it.  Now I am doing server work, SCCM configurations, application deployments, routers and switch configurations....and lots more.

EDIT:  I also did a lot of unboxing, cleanup, and grunt work when I first started in IT.

#5 OP sathenzar

sathenzar

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:41

Ah, I didn't phrase my title right. That is what is causing the ambiguity of the reponses. I meant programming jobs. Sorry for the confusion.
Well that's a good story still. So it doesn't sound too brutal.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:42

Ah, I didn't phrase my title right. That is what is causing the ambiguity of the reponses. I meant programming jobs. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, I clicked on the quick link on the front page.  Didnt see what forum this was posted in so my fault.  :)

#7 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:48

Well that's a good story still. So it doesn't sound too brutal.

I do internal development projects (coding, planning etc), bug fixes, studying, shadowing other developers, testing, etc.

I do a lot of what a regular developer does, I am just a lot slower at it.

#8 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:58

Entry Level = Bend over and prepare for entry :p

#9 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 15 July 2014 - 15:16

10 PRINT "I'M A NOOB"

20 GOTO 10

#10 JamesCherrill

JamesCherrill

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2014 - 15:38

That first job is really hard to get, especially if you have a lot of skills but few paper qualifications. I would advise getting anything you can that's in the right general area. Once you're on-site you can create opportunities to show your skills and thus get the chance to move on to better things. see +techbeck's post.

#11 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 15 July 2014 - 20:04

I started programming when I was 7 - I got my first programming job when I was doing my bachelor's degree. It sounds like you have enough technical skill and confidence to be a programmer. You do need to have a good ui too. Half of software development is effective interaction with others.

The only advice I would give you is apply. Apply everywhere. Be ready for rejection. Anyone with two brain cells to run together will know that paper qualifications aren't the be all and end all for this sort of role.

Just to put this into perspective, I applied to 50 companies (unsolicited, not in response to a job advertisement) - pretty much every company that I could find that did software development in a commutable range. I received a response from 10, of which 8 said sorry and 2 said we want to talk to you. Of the two I got offered 1 job and a 'thanks but no thanks' from the other.

If I can do it, you can too. Just be persistent.

#12 sbauer

sbauer

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 July 2014 - 20:45

I would be looking for someone that's interested in technology and has a drive to improve. It would be helpful if someone had a basic understanding of the technologies we're using, but that's not always realistic. It's entry level for a reason. I'd rather have a smart hard worker than someone that has a basic understanding of some technology, but very little drive.

I think some people get caught up in the language/framework qualifications. "Well, we're a Rails shop, but you only have PHP MVC experience. " The thing is, technology changes pretty quickly sometimes. I'd rather have someone that has a track record of being smart, and motivated. Framework and language skills can be developed. People rarely change, though.

#13 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 July 2014 - 21:28

#14 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 July 2014 - 00:49

puts "Hello World!"

#15 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:30

10 PRINT "I'M A NOOB"

20 GOTO 10

As a 23 year old COBOL programmer, that's not too far from the truth...

10000-ENTRY-LEVEL SECTION.
      DISPLAY "I'M A NOOB".

20000-UGH-COBOL SECTION.
      PERFORM 100000-ENTRY-LEVEL THRU 200000-UGH-COBOL.