Photo

Laptop taking LONG time to do things

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2014 - 16:06

My wife has an el cheapo HP laptop that runs Win 8.1. Her demands on it are very light- usually facebook, email, and Pinterest. I don't recall the specs off the top of my head, and can't easily grab them since I'm working about 4 hours away.

The laptop will suddenly seize up and we can do nothing until it lets go of whatever is going on. I've looked in Task Manager, and see that the disk is at 100% (not capacity- she has plenty of free space.) It has something hitting it hard, but I can't figure out what. I've run disk scans (no errors) and virus scans (no virus detected) and am not sure what is causing this.

Any suggestions on where to look, or what else to check?

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 15 July 2014 - 16:15

My wife has an el cheapo HP laptop that runs Win 8.1. Her demands on it are very light- usually facebook, email, and Pinterest. I don't recall the specs off the top of my head, and can't easily grab them since I'm working about 4 hours away.

The laptop will suddenly seize up and we can do nothing until it lets go of whatever is going on. I've looked in Task Manager, and see that the disk is at 100% (not capacity- she has plenty of free space.) It has something hitting it hard, but I can't figure out what. I've run disk scans (no errors) and virus scans (no virus detected) and am not sure what is causing this.

Any suggestions on where to look, or what else to check?

Either run some various malware/anti virus scans and check and see if it needs to be cleaned out. My boss had a Toshiba and his fan vents were clogged with hair, dust that caused over heating. I took the laptop apart and cleaned out all the vents and that alone fixed it.

http://mashable.com/...lware-scanners/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/

#3 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 15 July 2014 - 16:20

In Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and click the 'Disk' column to sort it by activity percentage.

Look at what process has the highest % activity.

#4 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 July 2014 - 16:22

I've looked in Task Manager, and see that the disk is at 100%

The processes and users tab in task manager both show the percentage for each process.

#5 OP SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 16 July 2014 - 18:39

I'll have her try these tonight, I will also have her run a scan, but she never downloads things so I am *reasonably* confident there shouldn't be anything (meaning, I am leaving in a chunk of room to be wrong since there are bad actors online everywhere, and even legit places can be victimized to deliver crap.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

#6 OP SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 16 July 2014 - 18:47

Oh- and one problem we have is when it jumps up to 100%, the machine is almost completely unresponsive, so it hasn't been easy to make it work, but I can work around that by doing so when it is loafing along. ;)

#7 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 16 July 2014 - 18:50

I'll say the obvious that people haven't said yet, check the event viewer, it's probably going to be disk errors/IO read errors, when I see this it's usually the hard drive failing.

#8 OP SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:52

Jared, I did check it, but nothing appeared abnormal.

#9 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:18

Try disabling Skype (ie. quitting it completely from its task tray icon, next to the clock [right-click --> Quit]); this surprisingly solved the issues I was having with Flash video freezing on my older XP laptop every 30 seconds.

#10 OP SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2014 - 18:13

I'll check to see if Skype is installed.

#11 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2014 - 18:18

Can more RAM be added? What's in there? 4GB?

#12 ensiform

ensiform

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2014 - 18:39

Is chrome installed?  There's a bug with it where it sets the timer resolution to 1ms always regardless unlike Firefox and IE which only set it while needing to do videos.

#13 OP SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2014 - 19:41

It's got 4gigs of RAM, and usage is not challenged. 

It does have Chrome, but she always uses IE. 

#14 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 July 2014 - 19:16

If it's an el'cheapo HP 8.1 laptop it's probably got an AMD E series CPU. Which gets bogged down by opening notepad.

How did you check your hard drive?

I'd recommend downloading HD tune trial and doing a error scan on the disk (Not the quick scan)

http://www.hdtunepro.com ..

from what you've described it sounds like bad sectors.

#15 Lizardslap

Lizardslap

Neowinian

Posted 18 July 2014 - 19:24

Well one thing I recently experienced on my laptop was the hard drive was very slightly unseated the thing would take 20min to boot up and another 10 to open the internet

I just popped it out and back in and it worked fine afterwords    

just something to check if you have the time