• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 15 July 2014 - 19:27

I have an XBMC based home built system with an i3 processor. Would I see any benefit to upgrading to an i5 CPU?

#2 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2014 - 19:49

No. I use a celeron 1000M processor, which is worse than the i3 processor and I notice little difference, bit quicker menus maybe - it still streams 40GB bluray ISOs from my network share the same as my quad core i7 does. This is assuming your HTPC just consumes media and you don't rip DVDs, MP3s, blurays, etc. If you are doing that stuff then yes it will make a difference. 

If you want a speed increase go with an SSD. Massive improvement. I see you already have one however...

#3 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 July 2014 - 20:41

I'm running everything on an i3 and everything is fine.  I'm running CouchPotato, Sickbeard, Subsonic, Plex, AirServer, XBMC, and a few other things.  Booting takes FOREVER because of the disk activity and I'm using spinning drives, but it runs fine. 

It even transcodes fine with Plex.  That's where you "might" see a gain, but if you're not ripping and stuff, like Bigkaye mentioned, I wouldn't bother.

#4 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 15 July 2014 - 21:08

Is it particularly slow in doing something or are you just looking for a reason to upgrade? What generation i3/i5 are we talking about here? Either way, it should be plenty of power for HTPC purposes...

#5 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:56

I just bought an Intel NUC I3 and it runs everything butter smooth

Did put an SSD in it for the OS

#6 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 16 July 2014 - 14:24

Actually, I have no real reason to upgrade other than maybe better software decoding of ISO/MVC files. Right now, XBMC runs super smooth with the most resource intensive skins and I get full 1080p 2D and 3D movies.. With the SSD and OpenElec, it boots in only a few seconds and goes right to XBMC. I  guess maybe I shouldn't mess with it unless the i5 offered something super beneficial.