fiction wolf wolves werewolf werewolves wolfman

26 replies to this topic

#1 Ian William

Ian William

Open 24 hours.

• 1,291 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:22

Hello,

Normally I don't ask these sorts of questions, but I am in a good mood and thought this topic had the potential to generate some interesting responses.

I know that it is an element of superstitious fiction, but the concept has always fascinated me . . . being part man and part wolf. It would allow one to be more connected with the species than before. That is not to say that I am a werewolf fanatic or that I always like them as portrayed in the media. For example, there are movies, such as Cursed and Twilight, that basically destroy the concept for me.

More importantly, do any of you Neowinians have an opinion of werewolves? Do you like the werewolf concept in its entirety or only certain aspects of it? Do any of you dislike it?

#2 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,529 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:46

Personally I'd like to be like Michael Corvin, all of the benefits of Vampire and Lycan, none of the Drawbacks

#3 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,839 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:57

Opinion?

The end of Altered Beast revealed the whole werewolf thing to be an elaborate hoax:
tumblr_m8i4y4fjwd1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

#4 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,552 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:00

I-woooooooooooouldn't like to speculate about them myself...

#5 R1pper

R1pper

In Search Of The (Difficult) Truth.

• 435 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:08

i like the atmosphere in  werewolf's movies, most of the film is at night, foggy, and with forest scenery.

it really give you a sense of relaxation and tense.

the creature is sometime boring or Arousing interest, not so many are able to create "perfect" character, which mean vicious scary werewolf, and cold and witty human.

one of the cheracter i find memorable, is the werewolf in the movie: silver bullet.

#6 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,533 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:11

I wouldn't want to be around 'real' werewolves.

Although everything exists, somewhere.

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:03

Opinion?

The end of Altered Beast revealed the whole werewolf thing to be an elaborate hoax:
tumblr_m8i4y4fjwd1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

what ?

#8 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,147 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 14:51

I know that it is an element of superstitious fiction, but the concept has always fascinated me . . .

Back some hundreds of years ago werewolves were "real". Now a days we know it is just a mental disorder (Clinical lycanthropy).  

#9 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,358 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 16 July 2014 - 15:22

what ?

Just Googled it...

"Sega also had a weird thing going on with the endings of some of their arcade releases. In Altered Beast, after the game shows you all of the beast forms, it reveals that everyone in the game are merely actors filming a movie, who all take off their costumes and then share a drink."

http://www.hardcoreg...lteredbeast.htm

#10 eddman

eddman

Neowinian

• 814 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 15:33

Play "The Wolf Among Us", if you're ok with adventure games that is.

#11 domboy

domboy

Neowinian

• 268 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 17:58

As a fan of real live wolves, to me the closer a werewolf looks and moves like a real one when in wolf form the better. I love the underworld series, but I'm sorry, Lycans don't look much like wolves, and are much too humanoid. There are other movies with were similar werewolves...  wolfmen if you will (Van Helsing comes to mind). The movie Blood and Chocolate gets it right as in wolf form they look just like a normal wolf, but if you want a movie with both werewolves and vampires, a normal size wolf probably wouldn't be much of a threat to a vampire in a fight. In this case I have to admit that the twilight movies gets it right on both accounts... the wolves are actually really well done. They are just giant wolves so they look the part and can take on a vampire to boot.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 18:21

Then you should know that wolfs are pack animals and wouldn't attack alone. they would take down a vampire as a pack. 

#13 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,291 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 18:37

White Wolf did an awesome job with their Werewolf role playing game.  (and Vampire, etc...)

#14 domboy

domboy

Neowinian

• 268 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 16:08

Then you should know that wolfs are pack animals and wouldn't attack alone. they would take down a vampire as a pack. 

Yes, I am fully aware of that, which is why I think werewolves as normal sized wolves can work just fine. I just I don't think I've seen such a fight as you describe portrayed. I'm sure I haven't seen all the werewolf movies out there though. Most of the movies I've seen with werewolf vs. vampire fights usually have instances where a single werewolf and vampire square off in a one-on-one fight, again think underworld or Van Helsing. In such a fight a regular-sized wolf would be at a disadvantage against a typical vampire, whereas a giant one or a wolfman type would be more of a match.  Like I said, I prefer werewolves that look and act the part of a real wolf. I'd love to see a fight where a pack of werewolves that look like wolves take down a vampire. Of course, I'd still say the larger the wolf the better, maybe something like a dire wolf or timber (gray) wolf.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 16:28

Read books instead of watching movies, normal sized wolf werewolfs are in fact in the Dresden books, in fat there's several types of werewolfs. But those are the only ones who can maintain their humanity and control their power. And yes, they fight vampires.