Best way to factory-restore Android phone and restore apps/data?

I have a Galaxy S5 with a 16 GB memory card.

I transferred all of my data from my previous Galaxy S4 onto it a few months ago but it was slightly messy and every now and again, I get the odd system crash.

I want to wipe my phone, re-install the latest Samsung ROM (I already have that - and I know how to flash it) and restore my apps, app data, widgets etc. Whilst I'm at it, I may as well start using my new 64 GB memory card.

How would you suggest I do this?

I'm thinking: Backup all user apps/data with Titanium Backup, then move the generated backup folder from the memory card onto my PC before inserting the new 64 GB memory card into the phone, reinstalling the OS, reinstalling Titanium Backup and putting the generated folder back onto the new memory card, ready to be restored from. Is this the best way?

P.S. Google's online backups are crap. I tried it once and it didn't restore Nova Launcher, my sticky note widget (with data inside the sticky note) etc.

I'm thinking: Backup all user apps/data with Titanium Backup, then move the generated backup folder from the memory card onto my PC before inserting the new 64 GB memory card into the phone, reinstalling the OS, reinstalling Titanium Backup and putting the generated folder back onto the new memory card, ready to be restored from. Is this the best way?

That would be best.  What I normally do when I do a fill wipe of all data including internal storage.  Just make sure your Titanium Backup folder is on your external storage or PC before you do the wipe.  Then factory rest, reinstall TB, and restore all apps/data.  I would make sure you dont restore system apps as that can cause problems.

Right, I went to "Batch actions..." then under the Backup section, I selected RUN next to "Backup all user apps".

Now that I've come to restore, non of the five options under the Restore section allow me to restore all 300+ of my apps. It appears only 25-50% of them were backed up (e.g. several Angry Birds games are missing but some are fine etc.).

I hate Android with so much passion. iTunes/iCloud only ever made perfect 1-to-1 backups for me.

Anyway, back to the topic...

Before I formatted, just in case, I copied every file from the Phone and Memory Card areas of my phone to "Phone backup" and "Memory Card backup" folders on my PC.

Can I restore the apps within these two folders, somehow?

EDIT: Oh wonderful, Google Backup didn't backup or restore my Chrome tabs -_-

Right, I went to "Batch actions..." then under the Backup section, I selected RUN next to "Backup all user apps".

Now that I've come to restore, non of the five options under the Restore section allow me to restore all 300+ of my apps. It appears only 25-50% of them were backed up (e.g. several Angry Birds games are missing but some are fine etc.).

I hate Android with so much passion. iTunes/iCloud only ever made perfect 1-to-1 backups for me.

Anyway, back to the topic...

Before I formatted, just in case, I copied every file from the Phone and Memory Card areas of my phone to "Phone backup" and "Memory Card backup" folders on my PC.

Can I restore the apps within these two folders, somehow?

EDIT: Oh wonderful, Google Backup didn't backup or restore my Chrome tabs -_-

Did you make a backup in recovery before you wiped your phone?

Did you make a backup in recovery before you wiped your phone?

No guide I've ever read mentioned to do that. I didn't even realise it was possible :(

No guide I've ever read mentioned to do that. I didn't even realise it was possible :(

If you root your phone and apply a custom recovery, you can backup the while phone before wiping or applying another ROM.  I assume you are rooted otherwise you wouldnt be able to use TB.

If you root your phone and apply a custom recovery, you can backup the while phone before wiping or applying another ROM.  I assume you are rooted otherwise you wouldnt be able to use TB.

I'm rooted.

I've discovered that the majority of the games that Titanium did not back up were games downloaded from the Amazon Appstore. I presume that the Amazon Appstore uses standard APK files, so I'm unsure why Titanum failed to back them up.

I can re-download them from the Amazon Appstore (effort) but I bet my game data (saves etc.) etc. won't sync -_-

I'm rooted.

I've discovered that the majority of the games that Titanium did not back up were games downloaded from the Amazon Appstore. I presume that the Amazon Appstore uses standard APK files, so I'm unsure why Titanum failed to back them up.

I can re-download them from the Amazon Appstore (effort) but I bet my game data (saves etc.) etc. won't sync -_-

So did you install CWM or TWRP recovery after you rooted?  If so, you can do a full system backup from recovery and that is recommended before doing anything major on your device.

And i never had an issue backing up apps on the Amazon apps store.  I have a few I backup all the time.  I do have problems updating some apps from the Amazon store without uninstalling them from my phone first.

So did you install CWM or TWRP recovery after you rooted?  If so, you can do a full system backup from recovery and that is recommended before doing anything major on your device.

And i never had an issue backing up apps on the Amazon apps store.  I have a few I backup all the time.  I do have problems updating some apps from the Amazon store without uninstalling them from my phone first.

I just flashed G900FXXU1ANE2 then rooted using this.

I just flashed G900FXXU1ANE2 then rooted using this.

Rooting doesnt normally apply a custom recovery.  That is an extra step.  some roots do though.

I would look in to applying a custom recovery so you can backup your whole phone.  Dont want to be caught in the same problem again.  Not sure exactly what model S5 you have, but just do a search for applying the TWRP recovery.

• 4 weeks later...

every guide ive ever read or custom rom thread mentions to make a nandroid first if you see the word nandroid mentioned its androids term for doing a backup in recovery

Avast Mobile Backup Premium backs up everything I check off including apps, media, contacts, SMS, settings (if rooted) to what cloud service I connect it to. Works with their virus scanner too, callable from its panel.