16 posts in this topic

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/crime/2014/07/16/detroit-chief-armed-citizens/12727877/

Detroit Chief Credits Police Work, Armed Citizens For Drop In Crime

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) - Detroit Police Chief James Craig says improved police work and criminals being reluctant to prey on citizens who may be carrying guns should be credited for a drop in some crime this year.

Compared to last year, the city has seen 37 percent fewer robberies in 2014, 22 percent fewer break-ins of businesses and homes, and 30 percent fewer carjackings.

Craig has said publicly that armed citizens deter crime, and the department has released several statements which indicate they will support homeowners who legally protect their property with lethal force.

?Criminals are getting the message that good Detroiters are armed and will use that weapon,? Craig told the Detroit News. ?I don?t want to take away from the good work our investigators are doing, but I think part of the drop in crime, and robberies in particular, is because criminals are thinking twice that citizens could be armed.?

The department has said they?re ?not telling everyone to run out, grab a gun, shoot first and ask questions later,? but they?re encouraging responsible Detroiters who legally own guns to exercise their right to defend themselves.

23084888_BG2.jpg
2 people like this

No...it can't be...guns are made to kill people...nothing good comes of them...

2 people like this

Not many places have to ability to make the Gaza Strip look like Disney World. Detroit is one of those places. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. But I guess if you're stuck there, yeah, I guess a gun would be recommended. Pretty depressing way to live, actually. In fear 24/7.

2 people like this

Not many places have to ability to make the Gaza Strip look like Disney World. Detroit is one of those places. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. But I guess if you're stuck there, yeah, I guess a gun would be recommended. Pretty depressing way to live, actually. In fear 24/7.

The catch is the more you were paid to live there, the more you'd be a target.

2 people like this

No...it can't be...guns are made to kill people...nothing good comes of them...

You're kidding, right ?

Yes, and having reasonable restrictions on gun rights doesn't preclude allowing people to arm themselves in their homes so I'm not sure what the point it.

1 person likes this

For the love of... Neowin needs a spin off... NeoGun.net. Can't go an hour now without seeing some gun topic on the latest feed. And they all end up the same ######ing way with the same people going back and forth.

4 people like this

For the love of... Neowin needs a spin off... NeoGun.net. Can't go an hour now without seeing some gun topic on the latest feed. And they all end up the same ######ing way with the same people going back and forth.

tell us how you really feel

1 person likes this

Yes, and having reasonable restrictions on gun rights doesn't preclude allowing people to arm themselves in their homes so I'm not sure what the point it.

It's just a dick measuring contest around here... Detroit will always be a **** hole, no matter how many citizens are armed

robocop2.png

This is how Robocop feels about you not giving him any credit.

1 person likes this

Can we just give this thread to the gun nuts and not turn it into one of the many guns are bad/good threads?

Hope this one dies out quickly

He directed citizens in Cincinnati to no be armed and told us he would not tolerate arm citizens.

He is setting himself up for political office. 

That would have been contrary to Ohio law since 2008, though he may have been parroting the preferences of his bosses in City Hall. Whayever, they sure tried to keep him as there was a bidding war.

Here's his account of his change of thinking after his time in LA,

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/03/detroit-police-chief-more-legally-armed-citizens-deter-crime/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

2F

?Coming from California, where it takes an act of Congress to get a concealed weapon permit, I got to Maine, where they give out lots of CCWs [carrying concealed weapon permits], and I had a stack of CCW permits I was denying; that was my orientation,? he said according to the Detroit News report.

?I changed my orientation real quick. Maine is one of the safest places in America. Clearly, suspects knew that good Americans were armed,? he added.

According to Craig, people are more likely to act in self defense with a firearm if they lack confidence in the police department and he cited a seven percent drop in crime last year as a reason he believes more people feel safer in the city.

The Detroit News noted that Craig?s words Thursday were similar to comments he made in December on the Paul W. Smith Show.

?There?s a number of CPL [concealed pistol license] holders running around the city of Detroit. I think it acts as a deterrent. Good Americans with CPLs translates into crime reduction. I learned that real quick in the state of Maine,? he said at the time.

Maybe crooks just can't afford bullets. ;)

1 person likes this

More like they're becoming outgunned and they know it.

Statewide about 10% of adults 21 and up have concealed carry permits, about 600,000 and growing fast, and a higher percentage in Wayne County.

Other people carry unconcealed, Open Carry, which requires no carry permit but you still have to get the background check to purchase and have to be legally in posession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSp2KGMQEk8

You're kidding, right ?

He's just being sarcastic, referring to the fact it's people that kill each other, not the guns. People are the morons, not the objects we hold.

1 person likes this