The Last of Us Remastered lets you lock at 30FPS.

Also a handful of PC games are capped below 60.

FTFY.

I know this isn't "users" locking FPS but this is a PC game that was not only locked at FPS but completely broke when it was modded to play at 60 FPS. 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Need-Speed-Rivals-Gimped-PC-60fps-Completely-Breaks-Game-60649.html

And the same excuse was given for LA Noire and Dead Rising 3 running at 30fps but the reality is that it's developers being lazy. They develop the game at 30fps for console due to performance limitations without any consideration for the PC version, then they just do a lazy port and implement a framerate cap to prevent problems occurring. However, they are the exception rather than the rule and usually generate a lot of user backlash - you don't see PC gamers defending the decision to limit games to 30fps.

Here are some comments about the 30fps cap on Dead Rising 3 from the link above:

O man, all these lazy ports, Good ole Capcom...idiots of the game world....driving their own company into a ditch...

How about you stop being lazy and optimize the game for higher fps?

PC gamers always get a raw deal...This game is great, so it's a shame that PC gamers won't get a top-notch experience.

This is a Port make no bones about it if it was optimized right it wouldnt be locked at 30 just dam lazy.

60 or GTFO!

The comments are almost universally negative. Developers aren't fooling anyone when they pretend that 30fps is the ideal way to experience the game.

It's not about being the "master race"; it's about the gaming experience. Nobody serious about cars is going to buy a Kia, just like nobody serious about gaming is going to buy a console. You get what you pay for. I care about gaming and for me 30fps is unacceptable, as are sub-1080p resolutions (I game at 1600p@60fps).

Nobody "serious" about gaming is not going to buy a console? Really?

And your little analogy about cars really does say it all. You believe it has to have the best specs and best hardware in order to really be enjoyed.

I believe a Kia will still get you from Point A to Point B, and in fact may be the best choice for some people. Perhaps it is budget. Perhaps it is space. But that Kia, while not the best car out there, will still allow them to travel, which is the actually point of cars.

But I want to get back to this "anyone who is serious about gaming" comment. I am 40 years old, have been gaming since 1979 when my first console was the Atari, I sit in front of a computer, or PC, all damn day for years on end for work, and have actually developed a major wrist issue from sitting in front of the PC all damn day called DeQuervain's Tendonitis, so sometimes when I get home from work using a mouse is incredibly painful and almost damn near impossible. Yet I can hold a controller (pretty much) no issues. I believe a mouse is so painful as it is the position causing the pain to begin with. So consoles are a great way to still enjoy the hobby I enjoy more than anything else, it is either that or simply do not play anything, yet I am somehow not serious about gaming because I do play on consoles? 

Just because it suits your needs and it is your beliefs, does not mean that is the way it actually is for others. And want to see how I can easily turn it around on you?

Nobody serious about gaming would only game on a PC as they are missing out on some great console exclusives and only get to play crap ports if those exclusives ever do come out on PC.

As I said, I have owned a dedicated gaming PC for many years now, and you will never hear me say that 60 FPS is not better than 30 FPS, anyone who says otherwise is just crazy, but to sit and pretend that 30 fps is unplayable is just nonsense. It is true and utter nonsense. Especially when historically speaking in the video game world some of the best experiences prove otherwise.

If you want the absolute best visual experience combined with frame rate, sure, get a gaming PC and knock yourself out.

However if you want to enjoy video games for what they are, FUN, what is wrong with a console again besides the fact it is not the absolute best way to experience the game from a technical perspective? That it does not run the best technical specifications possible?

So your comment should really be anyone who is an enthusiast about graphics and frame rate knows PC are the way to go.

I am plenty serious about gaming, and I know consoles are just fine to experience them on.

And FTR, I have expressed my utter disappointment on these very forums that these latest consoles are struggling to do 60 FPS on a consistent basis. I would LOVE if they could. I am just not going to pretend they are unplayable because they cannot.

Let me put this one last way, as that serious comment really rubbed me the wrong way...

I own a Gaming PC. WiiU. PS3. PS4. XBox One. Xbox 360. OUYA. 3DS XL, and a Vita.

And I guess you only own a Gaming PC because that is all serious gamers own?

Yet you're the one who is serious about gaming and I am not? That's what you are trying to tell me because you are a slave to graphics and technical specifications?

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Meanwhile I will keep playing every game released known to man, and sure, the framerate on some of those games might be 30 frames per second, but I'll be damned if they have not been some of the better games I have played over the years.

So keep being Mr. Serious about video games.

I'll keep being Mr. Not Serious about video games yet somehow still be able to play every video game released known to man if I choose to do so.

But yeah, I am not serious about video games. 

• Like 1

Which is a far cry from "PC Games don't allow users to lock the framerate to 30fps". 

Which is true, as users aren't given the option to lock games to 30fps. In a handful of games the developers lock the game to 30fps but they are the exception.

It's not about being the "master race"; it's about the gaming experience. Nobody serious about cars is going to buy a Kia, just like nobody serious about gaming is going to buy a console. You get what you pay for. I care about gaming and for me 30fps is unacceptable, as are sub-1080p resolutions (I game at 1600p@60fps).

You can try and disregard gamers who don't subscribe to your ideals & standards all you want, but like it or not plenty of folks who play on consoles are serious about gaming. "Caring about gaming" is not about being uppity concerning the fidelity &/or performance of a game.

Which is true, as users aren't given the option to lock games to 30fps. In a handful of games the developers lock the game to 30fps but they are the exception.

We are in some games. And if the game doesn't include that in the game menu, we can lock to 30 in the NVIDIA or AMD control panel.

We are in some games. And if the game doesn't include that in the game menu, we can lock to 30 in the NVIDIA or AMD control panel.

Okay then, list five recent mainstream PC games that include an in-game option to limit the framerate to 30fps (using console commands doesn't count).

Console games that run at 30fps provide a much better experience than a PC game running at 30fps, as the fluctuating framerate on the PC provides a very poor experience. As I pointed out, PC games aren't designed to be run at 30fps - they all target 60fps, with the exception of a handful of sloppy ports. Pointing out that users can lock their framerate via the nVidia or AMD control panel has absolutely no bearing on that. Developers only target 30fps when performance limitations dictate so.

As I said, I find it strange that developers would limit the framerate for artistic reasons. The only games that limit graphical and sound quality are indie games that are trying to recreate the style of older games but that doesn't apply to The Last Of Us. In fact the very point of this version is to "remaster" it and to improve it.

Okay then, list five recent mainstream PC games that include an in-game option to limit the framerate to 30fps (using console commands doesn't count).

9IQhmpr.png

Borderlands 2. Your point of "No PC games let you cap at 30" has been debunked. Whats with the goal-post moving?

Recent is a pretty nebulous term, but World of Warcraft provides FPS capping options.

Maybe 120fps will redefine the way you experience game like never before for the next ten years. Unfortunately, we're on the verge of making 60fps as a standard for console and PC need more juice to hit that threshold due to lack of low level hardware access for countless years until AMD started to advocate.

9IQhmpr.png

Borderlands 2. Your point of "No PC games let you cap at 30" has been debunked. Whats with the goal-post moving?

I made a general statement - that PC games don't allow you to cap the framerate to 30fps - and you found an exception. That doesn't in invalidate my point, as I had already pointed out that exceptions existed. Only a tiny percentage of PC games allow you to cap the framerate at 30fps and it's done for performance reasons, not artistic ones.

I made a general statement - that PC games don't allow you to cap the framerate to 30fps - and you found an exception. That doesn't in invalidate my point, as I had already pointed out that exceptions existed. Only a tiny percentage of PC games allow you to cap the framerate at 30fps and it's done for performance reasons, not artistic ones.

You made a statement, a statement I debunked. You didn't say anything about performance in your original statement. You claimed that "No PC Games let you cap to 30". The very fact I posted an example proves your entire statement to be false.

Ok guys I think this is going way too far off topic. This isn't about PC Games full stop, never mind PC games with an option for frame lock.

I'm pretty sure there is a Framerate discussion thread somewhere this would probably be better suited too.

Amen!

I'm sceptical. It sounds a bit like marketing PR spin.

Not necessarily. For some people it takes some time to get used to a faster framerate. Often someone who never saw anything at over 30 fps will find over 30 fps unnatural at first.

It was never about whether games where locked at 30 fps, but that many if not most gamers will set graphics settings as high as possible as long as the fps stays over or mostly over 30, after that vsync will for all practical purposes lock it at 30 anyway.

Also I bet lots of rallycross drivers buy Kia's. And I bet those who buy fun Kia hot hatch have a lot more fun in their cheap little car than those who buy an expensive car.

Also I guess you don't consider all those who play fighting games competitively serious gamers, since they usually play on console...

Your general statement was a derail attempt anyway.

It was never about whether games where locked at 30 fps, but that many if not most gamers will set graphics settings as high as possible as long as the fps stays over or mostly over 30, after that vsync will for all practical purposes lock it at 30 anyway.

Also I bet lots of rallycross drivers buy Kia's. And I bet those who buy fun Kia hot hatch have a lot more fun in their cheap little car than those who buy an expensive car.

Also I guess you don't consider all those who play fighting games competitively serious gamers, since they usually play on console...

Fighting games run at 60 fps on consoles.