Man Trapped in Jail for 31 Hours Sues for Trauma

Farad Polk visited Cook County Jail, where his son is an inmate, on July 5. The guards told Polk to have a seat in a waiting area down the hall, Polk says.

When he entered the room ? an area of the jail that was under renovation ? the heavy, steel doors slammed behind him, turning the visitor into a prisoner.

For nearly a day and a half he says he tried anything to get someone?s attention. He screamed and pounded on the room?s 2-foot-thick walls, but nobody heard him.

?A concrete box,? Polk called it at a Monday press conference.

When the screaming and pounding failed, Polk broke the head off one of the sprinklers, flooding the room.

The fire department arrived and finally, Polk was free. Polk says he?s traumatized by the incident.

?It just tears my heart out,? he said.

Cook County Jail released a statement to ABC News, describing the situation as an ?extraordinarily unique set of circumstances that unfortunately resulted in him being in that room for that period of time.?

more & video

Unfortunately I have had some experience with jail staff & I can say, without a doubt, they are some of the dumbest people on the planet.  Many are wannabe cops who couldnt pass the test, others are people who have an axe to grind.  But 90% of them couldnt spell CAT if you gave them the C and the T.

I was kinda wild in my college days ;) 

If he ever gets arrested, he should get off for time served. :p

If this is enough to traumatise him then an arrest would probably make his head explode.