Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neoadorable

What the hell happened to people's priorities?

60 posts in this topic

Ebola outbreak kills hundreds of people in West Africa, has potential to end human civilization as we know it, gets a few dozen comments on CNN International as of the tme of this linking:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/16/health/ebola-africa-update/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Israeli military shells beach to do whatever it is dumb militaries do, accidentally kills four kids. Story has nearly 20,000 comments, mostly to do with pig demon jews and other stuff i can't even understand:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/16/world/meast/mideast-crisis/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Screw this, i give up. This world is sick, humanity is sick. Are all of our achievements for nought? I'm out.

8 people like this

^ The Earth is a school of learning, designed to have great contrasts.

You can help by imagining the world as you wish it to be.

Cheer up -- better things are coming. :happy:

4 people like this

Hope you are right Hum, but we've been waiting for these good things to come long enough. This is sickening.

What makes you think better things are coming? I like to be an optimist, but it's not easy sometimes. As far as ending human civilization as we know it, maybe that's just what this world needs. Let the apes run things for a while. They can't do any worse than we are.

planet-of-the-apes-statue-of-liberty.jpg

7 people like this

Our Reality is 'programmable', just as video games are.

Learn to tell a better story.

Humans are starting to wake up. ;)

2 people like this

I agree with you neoadorable.  I am sickened everytime I turn on the TV, read articles, go to wal-mart.  I am so disgusted by everyone, it has become a problem because I dont want to go out to eat with my fiance, unless it is "off hours" and the restaurant doesnt have many people in it. 

4 people like this

I think we're in an interesting and profound time. What will come of this is the question it seems...

For the first time in human history we have fairly widespread, accurate, and rapid exposure to the thoughts of the species. In periods before now, information was curated and exposed through the lenses of those who were learned or otherwise accustomed to the norms of societal rules. This is no longer the case. Everyone is sharing the most mundane to the most profound in an instant. What we're really experiencing, for the first time, is humanity in its most normal state. Ideally, this exposure will lead to some level of conformity and an adjustment of social demeanor. We'll end up at a point where people can understand the viewpoints of others and empathize with remote persons as well. Or at least that is what I like to hope will occur...

The sad reality we're coming to see is that the vast majority of our fellow humans are barely above the thought capacity of mere dogs. Ideally, we'll move past the 4chan like nature of YouTube comments, CNN comments, and etc. Let us hope that continued exposure to information can free us all. Both in understanding the true form of ourselves and in pulling our reality closer to our idealistic view of what it means to be human.

9 people like this

I think we're in an interesting and profound time. What will come of this is the question it seems...

For the first time in human history we have fairly widespread, accurate, and rapid exposure to the thoughts of the species. In periods before now, information was curated and exposed through the lenses of those who were learned or otherwise accustomed to the norms of societal rules. This is no longer the case. Everyone is sharing the most mundane to the most profound in an instant. What we're really experiencing, for the first time, is humanity in its most normal state. Ideally, this exposure will lead to some level of conformity and an adjustment of social demeanor. We'll end up at a point where people can understand the viewpoints of others and empathize with remote persons as well. Or at least that is what I like to hope will occur...

The sad reality we're coming to see is that the vast majority of our fellow humans are barely above the thought capacity of mere dogs. Ideally, we'll move past the 4chan like nature of YouTube comments, CNN comments, and etc. Let us hope that continued exposure to information can free us all. Both in understanding the true form of ourselves and in pulling our reality closer to our idealistic view of what it means to be human.

Well said, I agree with you in the fact that I hope this age of awareness betters humanity, and not the opposite. 

It's the internet, it's "cool" to be anti semitic and cool to not care about Africans

1 person likes this

What makes you think better things are coming? I like to be an optimist, but it's not easy sometimes. As far as ending human civilization as we know it, maybe that's just what this world needs. Let the apes run things for a while. They can't do any worse than we are.

Kid, normally i would try to dissuade you from this line of thought, but today...today i had enough, coupled with the geniuses at the news section of our beloved neowin cheering thousands of jobs lost at MS. Plus just thinking of the world. I love humanity and would never wish for our civilization to end...but i don't know anymore. Too many of us are just mean jerks who not only do not appreciate what we've accomplished, they use it to enhance their mean-spirited and ignorant tendencies. I can't bring myself to hope humanity will end, but i can bring myself to contemplate it as perhaps not the most horrible of eventualities for this world :cry:

I agree with you neoadorable.  I am sickened everytime I turn on the TV, read articles, go to wal-mart.  I am so disgusted by everyone, it has become a problem because I dont want to go out to eat with my fiance, unless it is "off hours" and the restaurant doesnt have many people in it. 

Yes, there are so many good people out there but so many horrible example of humanity as well...you can't say everyone but the good is often lost in the sea of bad. I don't think on a personal level most people are terrible, most are decent, but too many succumb to the easy way of just being a jerk when convenient. You see it in traffic, you see it in a movie theater with the 7" tablet user on bright mode, and you especially have it online where it's just a free for all. But don't take it out on your fiance dude! I'm sorry, i didn't mean to depress anyone, just couldn't keep it bottled up anymore.

Superbly said, not just well said. Agree with every word and sentiment, thank you for expressing it so eloquently my friend. Maybe we will adjust and evolve and learn to integrate this new communal way of sharing knowledge and opinions into our civilization. Or maybe we need to genetically engineer the trollness out of our nature. You are so right, i really can't add anything to it. In the past...well, in addition to the control of knowledge, in the past people actually needed each other. Jerk to your neighbor? Well, they won't have your back when your crops go bad or when your house catches on fire. Trolling the meat monger? No problem, walk fifty miles to the next village next time you want chicken. These days...some people act like jerks with no ramifications.

But i want to still say that i believe in humanity. There is more good in us than bad, but if we do not even try to let that good shine...are we deserving of existence even? To wit, i'm not saying we should all quit our jobs and go to Sierra Leone to personally fight Ebola, but those morons can at least stay off the damn internet if they can't be bothered with what really matters!

2 people like this

Ebola outbreak kills hundreds of people in West Africa, has potential to end human civilization as we know it, gets a few dozen comments on CNN International as of the tme of this linking:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/16/health/ebola-africa-update/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Israeli military shells beach to do whatever it is dumb militaries do, accidentally kills four kids. Story has nearly 20,000 comments, mostly to do with pig demon jews and other stuff i can't even understand:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/16/world/meast/mideast-crisis/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Screw this, i give up. This world is sick, humanity is sick. Are all of our achievements for nought? I'm out.

This isn't a contest about whose suffering is more important. People care about things that are more important to them or relate to them. People can't feel empathy for things or other people they cannot easily relate too.

For example, the boston bombings killed a few people, but millions of american's were concerned and glued to their television in the hunt for those two guys. But many of these same american's are indifferent to what's happening around the world because they have enough to worry about in their own towns or country.

The ebola outbreak is probably big news in african newspapers and people there are genuinely concerned. These same people probably didn't care about those boston bombings too.

Regarding the stuff happening with israel and palestine, nearly 200 people have died in a few weeks from Israel's shellings. Both sides are at fault here and only the innocent women and children will die because of some politics over land. This article probably received more comments because this israel-palestine issue has been going on for nearly 70 years. Anti-semitic and anti-muslim comments come from both sides because of people's frustrations with these deaths. As more innocent children and women get killed, this issue will escalate more.

It's human nature to how people discriminate against people's problems and prioritize them accordingly because they will care about the issue that they can relate to or is affecting a person that is similar to them either in race, religion or nationality.

1 person likes this

Nobody cares about people dying in the middle east - it happens everyday.  Just like nobody cares if a couple of thug gang-bangers off each other.

People in the US are more concerned with the effing Kardashians, or American Idol, because most have the IQ of a hamster dropping.

The only positive thing I can say is when a dog is abused, the news & people around here come out in full force, donations, volunteers, and grandmothers asking for the death penalty for some kid who lit a puppy on fire (I agree) -- since I like dogs more than people - I think its because many people can identify with an animal's helplessness.

3 people like this

This isn't a contest about whose suffering is more important. People care about things that are more important to them or relate to them. People can't feel empathy for things or other people they cannot easily relate too.

For example, the boston bombings killed a few people, but millions of american's were concerned and glued to their television in the hunt for those two guys. But many of these same american's are indifferent to what's happening around the world because they have enough to worry about in their own towns or country.

The ebola outbreak is probably big news in african newspapers and people there are genuinely concerned. These same people probably didn't care about those boston bombings too.

Regarding the stuff happening with israel and palestine, nearly 200 people have died in a few weeks from Israel's shellings. Both sides are at fault here and only the innocent women and children will die because of some politics over land. This article probably received more comments because this israel-palestine issue has been going on for nearly 70 years. Anti-semitic and anti-muslim comments come from both sides because of people's frustrations with these deaths. As more innocent children and women get killed, this issue will escalate more.

It's human nature to how people discriminate against people's problems and prioritize them accordingly because they will care about the issue that they can relate to or is affecting a person that is similar to them either in race, religion or nationality.

No it's not a contest, the Ebola outbreak is more important. Period. Everything else you say sounds like justifying the mentality i'm decrying. Why do people from all over the world care more about some manufactured conflict that holds an entire region hostage and is perpetuated by multiple parties with no interest in peace? (likely in tacit cooperation with one another)? Why is this such a big deal while a pathogen that could bring a horrible death to potentially billions of people is overlooked and illicits no passionate response?

No it's not a contest, the Ebola outbreak is more important. Period. Everything else you say sounds like justifying the mentality i'm decrying. Why do people from all over the world care more about some manufactured conflict that holds an entire region hostage and is perpetuated by multiple parties with no interest in peace? (likely in tacit cooperation with one another)? Why is this such a big deal while a pathogen that could bring a horrible death to potentially billions of people is overlooked and illicits no passionate response?

Part of it could come down to what people can do about it and how much they can relate to it.

A deadly virus outbreak in Africa? The average person isn't going to be able to do anything, they don't have the skills to cure it and it's not something that most people are going to be able to discuss outside of "damn I hope this gets fixed soon." It's also something that humans, at the moment, cannot control. There's no way to predict an outbreak or to 100% fix it because viruses mutate and even though you might have thought it cured...it comes back to bite you in the ass. Hence the lack of comments.

The Israel / Palestine war? This has been going on for decades now and most people have grown up around it. Now can they solve it? No but they can petition their government to stop supporting Israel or Palestine. The deaths are something that humans can prevent and stop from happening. It also has a greater risk of affecting us since most people will agree that there is a good chunk of the world that hates Western countries due to their support of Israel. So people tend to have more strong feelings about it and comment on those feelings.

1 person likes this

If the Ebola came to any country in America... We will be screwed.
2 people like this

Part of it could come down to what people can do about it and how much they can relate to it.

A deadly virus outbreak in Africa? The average person isn't going to be able to do anything, they don't have the skills to cure it and it's not something that most people are going to be able to discuss outside of "damn I hope this gets fixed soon." It's also something that humans, at the moment, cannot control. There's no way to predict an outbreak or to 100% fix it because viruses mutate and even though you might have thought it cured...it comes back to bite you in the ass. Hence the lack of comments.

The Israel / Palestine war? This has been going on for decades now and most people have grown up around it. Now can they solve it? No but they can petition their government to stop supporting Israel or Palestine. The deaths are something that humans can prevent and stop from happening. It also has a greater risk of affecting us since most people will agree that there is a good chunk of the world that hates Western countries due to their support of Israel. So people tend to have more strong feelings about it and comment on those feelings.

Sorry, but that sounds like justifying bias. You're saying it's juicier, so people relate to it. That's saying hate sells, while a virus is boring cause there's no one to hate - it's just a dumb virus. How about we say The Jews or the NSA or ISIS are behind Ebola? I'm sure then that article would get lots of comments.

There is no excuse for hate in any case among civilized humans. But in our case, unless you live in Palestine or Israel or maybe have family there, then it's none of your business and far less important than a disease that kills 90% of those it affects. And as macoman said, let's see how indifferent people are should Ebola cease to be "an African problem".

I do not support that line of thinking. I just stated how people only care about issues that they can easily relate to because it might be affecting someone similar to them in terms of race, nationality, or religion. It's how people are and how people feel sympathetic to causes that they care about.

^ The Earth is a school of learning, designed to have great contrasts.

You can help by imagining the world as you wish it to be.

Cheer up -- better things are coming. :happy:

Are they really?  We've been around for thousands of years, and have yet to stop trying to kill each other over whose sky cake is better. (Google Patton Oswalt Sky Cake if you don't get it)  For all the technological advances we've made, we still haven't figured out how not to destroy our home planet, or each other when we get angry.

Nevermind Googling sky-cake, found it for you.  Warning, this video contains language that is NSFW.

4 people like this

I do not support that line of thinking. I just stated how people only care about issues that they can easily relate to because it might be affecting someone similar to them in terms of race, nationality, or religion. It's how people are and how people feel sympathetic to causes that they care about.

Sure, i know what you mean. This is much clearer though. And it's what i'm ranting about - humans treat misery and horror as pet peeves as long as it's happening to someone else, and pick one that's unrelated to them because it gives them a convenient reason to be jerks and hate and let rip with prejudice. It's disgusting to me, look at the videos from West Africa, this Ebola outbreak is unprecedented, the WHO is stumped. This is much more relevant to the average human on planet Earth than a conflict that exists because it serves the interests of the elites that perpetuate it. Who cares about that crap? But no, it's more reason to hate Jews and Arabs so it's lots more fun than some African bleeding from the mouth!

Are they really?  We've been around for thousands of years, and have yet to stop trying to kill each other over whose sky cake is better. (Google Patton Oswalt Sky Cake if you don't get it)  For all the technological advances we've made, we still haven't figured out how not to destroy our home planet, or each other when we get angry.

All true, except we've been around for MILLIONS of years, and STILL haven't figured out how to not be douches to each other over the most idiotic and irrelevant things. Open the veins and it's always the same freaking color.

I read the Ebola story, this is not good. Once it hits the main cities it starts spreading very rapidly. Let's hope it doesn't continue to double (or worse) every month as that would wipe out the entire human race in less than 2 years. 

P.S.

If you don't think this is a big deal, you haven't been paying attention. There has never been a recorded outbreak of Ebola larger than this, ever. Not even by half. The death count of all other outbreaks combined was 1,577. I hope for the best and am not a doomsayer but this is really, really bad.

1 person likes this

I read the Ebola story, this is not good. Once it hits the main cities it starts spreading very rapidly. Let's hope it doesn't continue to double (or worse) every month as that would wipe out the entire human race in less than 2 years. 

P.S.

If you don't think this is a big deal, you haven't been paying attention. There has never been a recorded outbreak of Ebola larger than this, ever. Not even by half. The death count of all other outbreaks combined was 1,577. I hope for the best and am not a doomsayer but this is really, really bad.

It is insidious...previous outbreaks never reached major population centers and didn't last this long. There is no indication that the governments of the region are able to get a handle on it, though this outbreak "thankfully" has a lower mortality rate than those prior.

I sincerely hope this does not get out of hand and that it will either subside naturally or be contained by our modern technology. In any event it has already caused major suffering and pain, and has the potential to cause it on a scale we don't want to contemplate. Let's just say if it goes global the children of Gaza and everywhere else will have something worse than JDAMs to worry about. As Garnet said, this isn't doomsaying - it's a hope that public attention moves to what matters and not to petty conflicts that actually feed on public attention. "OH look they're shooting at us, they're the bad guys!" and "OH look, they're shooting at us AND killing our kids, they're evil monsters!" The more people care about that, the more likely it is to keep happening.

Ebola doesn't give a ###### if you care about it or post about it on the internet. It just cares if you're alive so it can use you.

P.S.

I have been paying attention and I don't particularly think it's a big deal. It's not like its a particularly contagious disease (I think the calculated R0 is ~1.5-1.75) and it is easily prevented by a) avoiding close contact with those who are infectious and carrying out basic hygiene procedures.

It's only an epidemic at the moment because it happened in a part of the world with a very weak health infrastructure, and that part of the world also happens to have quite a few people relative to previously affected areas. 

If the virus goes to somewhere with a more developed health system and they struggle to deal with the problem, then I'd be curious as to why. 

I have been paying attention and I don't particularly think it's a big deal. It's not like its a particularly contagious disease (I think the calculated R0 is ~1.5-1.75) and it is easily prevented by a) avoiding close contact with those who are infectious and carrying out basic hygiene procedures.

It's only an epidemic at the moment because it happened in a part of the world with a very weak health infrastructure, and that part of the world also happens to have quite a few people relative to previously affected areas. 

If the virus goes to somewhere with a more developed health system and they struggle to deal with the problem, then I'd be curious as to why. 

This is true, though i'd be cautious before dismissing it as something that's only relevant where medical infrastructure is weak. All true - those parts of the world don't have good medical practice, there has been resistance from the community as in resisting attempts to contain the outbreak, and it seems that traditional medicine is also playing into it. It's also true that Ebola isn't especially contagious, but neither is HIV/AIDS. We all know how that turned out, except that Ebola doesn't take years to kill. In any case, this should be a priority over the Israeli-Palestinian "conflict", where blood is the currency of public relations.

It's the internet, it's "cool" to be anti semitic and cool to not care about Africans

It's not just the internet, alas.

Example.  The current violence in Gaza.  194 Palestinians killed by Israeli rocket attacks in the last few days, barely gets a mention on the BBC news site. Yesterday, ONE Israeli is killed by a Hamas rocket attack. Suddenly it's BREAKING NEWS! With big articles all over the damned place, because apparently ONE dead Israeli is far more important than 194 dead Palestinians...

Sorry, but that sounds like justifying bias. You're saying it's juicier, so people relate to it. That's saying hate sells, while a virus is boring cause there's no one to hate - it's just a dumb virus. How about we say The Jews or the NSA or ISIS are behind Ebola? I'm sure then that article would get lots of comments.

There is no excuse for hate in any case among civilized humans. But in our case, unless you live in Palestine or Israel or maybe have family there, then it's none of your business and far less important than a disease that kills 90% of those it affects. And as macoman said, let's see how indifferent people are should Ebola cease to be "an African problem".

Where have you been for the last 25,000 years or so? Hate DOES sell, and always has with our species...  We're really not a very nice life form, overall...

2 people like this

It's not just the internet, alas.

Example.  The current violence in Gaza.  194 Palestinians killed by Israeli rocket attacks in the last few days, barely gets a mention on the BBC news site. Yesterday, ONE Israeli is killed by a Hamas rocket attack. Suddenly it's BREAKING NEWS! With big articles all over the damned place, because apparently ONE dead Israeli is far more important than 194 dead Palestinians...

Where have you been for the last 25,000 years or so? Hate DOES sell, and always has with our species...  We're really not a very nice life form, overall...

We can be a very nasty species, definitely. Until you are in charge and all that matters is that the spice continues to flow, i don't expect things to change :rolleyes:

On the serious note i'm going for, it's far longer than 25,000 years, as i said before douchebaggery has been with us since the first days on the African veldt three million years ago or so.

I don't want to turn this into a debate of that particular conflict, but for sure our media and culture have taken to counting bodies and then calculating how much each body is worth based on the amount of craziness the story will invoke in the comments section. So Israelis and Palestinians get top billing because they bring out the hate-crazed loonies, but 100,000 dead in South Sudan? Eighty killed in car bombs around Iraq? Barely a mention. Hate as the motivation for news reporting is despicable, and that people enable this is even more so.

1 person likes this