Xbox One is indeed selling better without Kinect

The Xbox One has been selling better now that there's a Kinect-free version of the system available for $399, right in line with the PlayStation 4. You'd sure hope so!

Microsoft isn't providing specifics but says "Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we've seen sales of Xbox One more than double in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales." This stems from "internal data based on retail calendar and sold-through numbers." The NPD's hardware and software figures will be out soon enough.

Even with increased sales in June, I'm expecting the PS4 to outsell Xbox One yet again.

Xbox One Sales More Than Double in June with New $399 Option and Unveiling of Holiday Games Lineup [Xbox]

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-is-indeed-selling-better-without-kinect-278244.phtml

Wonderful.

^ That was what I was going to ask, is it because of the price drop? <curiosity, nothing else, I don't really care what someone is spending their money on>

So have we decided if its because Kinect is gone or because of the cheaper price?

Or it could be both. Getting rid of something people don't want and lowering the price of something people do.

It's just too bad MS had to do this whole Kinect dance in the first place.

Or it could be both. Getting rid of something people don't want and lowering the price of something people do.

It's just too bad MS had to do this whole Kinect dance in the first place.

That is possible too. People will believe what they want to believe.

I mean the author of the article clearly believes that Kinect is the reason, hence the title.

I agree though, MS should have not attempted another Kinect release. Damage done.

I would chalk it up to the price cut. If the Xbox One were $399 w/Kinect, I think it would increase sales even more. Curiosity would make people fiddle with it at least once. And there's nothing like a "Free Pack In"...

• Like 3

MS won't provide the Kinect at a loss. I can understand why.

The only way to tell is to have both available and see which one people are moire likely to buy. But they obviously aren't going to do something like that.

What we could look at is how many people buy Kinects individually.

MS won't provide the Kinect at a loss. I can understand why.

The only way to tell is to have both available and see which one people are moire likely to buy. But they obviously aren't going to do something like that.

What we could look at is how many people buy Kinects individually.

That would only be helpful if Kinect is sold for $100 separately, which I have my doubts it will.

The cost to MS was estimated to be $200-$250 at launch and the pc version is $199, so I would guess no less then $149.

Plus, you have to factor in the effect of negative word of mouth. Most online are pushing the idea that its silly to buy into it at all now that MS has 'abandoned' it. True or not, that filters down to the general consumer.

abandoned

nah, Microsoft are known to re-use stuff that previously 'rejected'.

i wont surprise me if kinect would be re-branded as "Microsoft's Advanced & Multipurpose WebCam" or something similar like that, complete with wireless function that can be used by PC or Smartphone (WP) or Tablet (Surface).

nah, Microsoft are known to re-use stuff that previously 'rejected'.

i wont surprise me if kinect would be re-branded as "Microsoft's Advanced & Multipurpose WebCam" or something similar like that, complete with wireless function that can be used by PC or Smartphone (WP) or Tablet (Surface).

Too late for that, Kinect v2 for pc is already coming.

At some point, with the way things are going, the Kinect technology will be it's own thing and not something directly pushed by and tied to Xbox, for now it has to but as it's used more on the PC side and by other non-gaming projects that could change.  Not that it would matter to MS, they sell the PC version for more (though you get other things with it of course, not just the hardware).

I always pictured this tech sold to TV and Monitor companies, once MS can make it smaller, and have it be a option inside your TV or PC monitor.

The usefulness for a TV user is something we already see through using it on the Xbox.  Now with the PC, it's not so much about the hand gestures or w/e, it could be good for security, it can see who's sitting at the PC and trying to use it, for one.  But it's all about the voice controls really, and we know Cortana is coming to Windows (as well as Xbox) so I figure it'd be perfect to have a Kinectified 24" or 30" monitor that would let me do voice commands and use Cortana on my new Windows 9 install. 

Anyways, as far as the boost in sales, it's price + MS having a good showing at E3 and people interested in the games that are coming this fall and holiday 2014.

I guess I would add one more +1 to the "because of the price drop" and not because of Kinect removal.

So have we decided if its because Kinect is gone or because of the cheaper price?

I guess its all just subjective anyway.

Better sales can only be good news.

It's not even better sales, more like "normal" sales given that May took a hit because of the early Kinect-less SKU announcement.

^ That was what I was going to ask, is it because of the price drop? <curiosity, nothing else, I don't really care what someone is spending their money on>

not really price drop :p but I see what you mean.

I guess I would add one more +1 to the "because of the price drop" and not because of Kinect removal.

but this "price drop" is mainly caused by Kinect removal.

and this sales boost caused by previously said "price drop".

Lets not forgot why price drop was possible.

• Like 2

but this "price drop" is mainly caused by Kinect removal.

and this sales boost caused by previously said "price drop".

Lets not forgot why price drop was possible.

I think they would have had a similar bump if they went down to $399 with Kinect. In other words, sales increased because of the lower price and not because there is now a Kinect-less SKU.

They didn't sell that many to begin with, the "Double over May" is just a PR spin.

Microsoft or Best Buy (or any major retailer) needs to have a sale (test) and sell the Xbox One w/Kinect for 1-week at $399.

And let's see what happens.

Or Microsoft should sell the Xbox One w/Kinect during the holiday rush at $399, to see how sales are.

I'm talking Black Friday - January 2nd 2015.

I believe shelves would be empty.

Microsoft or Best Buy (or any major retailer) needs to have a sale (test) and sell the Xbox One w/Kinect for 1-week at $399.

And let's see what happens.

Or Microsoft should sell the Xbox One w/Kinect during the holiday rush at $399, to see how sales are.

I'm talking Black Friday - January 2nd 2015.

I believe shelves would be empty.

from a marketing standpoint this makes absolutely no sense. I'm all for getting more bang for my buck, but the xbox one kinect has proven to be a failure. No titles, bad reviews, and it don't live up to the hype MS's PR dept slung around last year... Probably why they killed it and removed the initiative for developers to even bother wasting their time.

Not as great as you'd expect, if it was only double May's sales (which was really low), they sold 150~K :/

Seriously? What on earth did you expect? It's not like there was anything exciting going on game-wise in June, for either console. To sell on par with the PS4 is exactly what I'd expect.

Seriously? What on earth did you expect? It's not like there was anything exciting going on game-wise in June, for either console. To sell on par with the PS4 is exactly what I'd expect.

I haven't mentioned anything about expectations. I'm just commenting on the spin. MS have actually hurt themselves in May by announcing the SKU too early and now they've only returned to numbers they were already seeing on a monthly basis. It's not good news.

My first line should have probably read "it's not as great as they'd have you believe".

The Kinect was there due to the Chicken or the Egg argument (similar to what is happening on the Wii U with third party developers).

Developers wouldn't put time or money into a Kinect (Wii U) game because people didn't have them.

Microsoft created an environment where in everyone has one. This means that developers could realistically make a Kinect focused title. Unfortunately people ###### and moaned too much for it to happen.

This is just like the original Xbox One announce. If we had told people to ###### off and eat it, Xbox sales would be lower, but over time they'd rocket as people realised that being able to share games with family and friends is awesome, and that being able to play without a disk (i.e. just hit a button like in steam) is also ######ing brilliant. Instead, Microsoft flip flopped, and we lost out on a ton of awesome stuff.

Microsoft really need to learn from Apple in some regards. Sometimes MS have better ideas than people realise, and so they get shot down before we can benefit from them.

Truly ######ing epicly frustrating to watch sometimes :\

I haven't mentioned anything about expectations. I'm just commenting on the spin. MS have actually hurt themselves in May by announcing the SKU too early and now they've only returned to numbers they were already seeing on a monthly basis. It's not good news.

My first line should have probably read "it's not as great as they'd have you believe".

They fell off they cliff before May. They only sold 115k in April. As early as January they didn't release numbers. Feb and march they had titanfall to help.

This is good news for them at any rate.

from a marketing standpoint this makes absolutely no sense. I'm all for getting more bang for my buck, but the xbox one kinect has proven to be a failure. No titles, bad reviews, and it don't live up to the hype MS's PR dept slung around last year... Probably why they killed it and removed the initiative for developers to even bother wasting their time.

From a marketing standpoint it can very well work.  They could easily go with this: Thank you for standing by our side in the good times and rough times.  We would like to to extend our thanks by giving any consumer who buys a Xbox One at $399 will receive Kinect bundled in at no additional charge.  Happy Holiday" or something to that degree.  Sure they would eat they cost, but it would only be for a month or so.

Rather people hate Kinect or not, curiosity will make those who question it, and never use one, at least fiddle with it.  And as for games go, they could easily put a demo of Kinect Sports Rivals pre-loaded onto the One.  

Like I said nothing like a "free pack in"

They fell off they cliff before May. They only sold 115k in April. As early as January they didn't release numbers. Feb and march they had titanfall to help.

This is good news for them at any rate.

April was a slow month for both consoles because the boom Titanfall and inFamous brought in March died.

The Kinectless SKU was announced in May, hence the 77K estimate for the month. PS4 had 197~K in May for comparisons sake.

X1:

Jan 145~K

Feb 258~K

March 310~K

April 115~K

May 77~K

June 150~K

So to say this is a "boost" is disingenuous. A "boost" because a sizable chunk waited for a cheaper SKU in June, but overall two poor performing months (average 113~k) due to an early announcement. Hence back to numbers they were seeing. Sony only needs to sell 30~K in June to outsell X1 for the same time period.

No doubt a slow release lineup has it's part, factor in that it's exam time for most younger demographics, people going on holiday, the world cup etc. All of those reasons are going to be affecting Sony's numbers too. What's the excuse if the PS4 outsells them tomorrow in NPD?

Figures.  I will be more interested to see how Windows sales goes when the start menu comes back.

Windows "9" sales increased ten-fold because start menu returned? :p or because it is a free upgrade from 7/8?

(read my post mid next year)