375 posts in this topic

Posted

BREAKING: http://news.msn.com/world/malaysian-passenger-plane-crashes-in-ukraine-near-russian-border-ifax

KIEV, July 17 (Reuters) - A Malaysian passenger airliner with 295 people on board crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border on Thursday, the Interfax news agency cited an aviation industry source as saying.

The Boeing plane was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, it said. Reuters could not immediately confirm the report.

The Interfax report said the plane came down 50 km (20 miles) short of entering Russian airspace. It "began to drop, afterwards it was found burning on the ground on Ukrainian territory," the unnamed source said.

The plane appeared to have come down in a region of military action where Ukrainian government forces are battling pro-Russian separatists.

A separate unnamed source in the Ukrainian security apparatus, quoted by Interfax, said the plane disappeared from radar at a height of 10,000 metres after which it came down near the town of Shakhtyorsk.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just saw this too...

Gonna be some serious inquisitions going on for this one.

Posted

If i lived in that area i would not take a Malaysian airlines flight in or out of Kuala Lumpur

1 person likes this

Posted

[wyoutube]cv8gxJuOteE[/wyoutube]

Posted

Seeing multiple news sources on Twitter saying it was confirmed to have been shot down, not an accident.  Edit - apparently pro-Russian separatists are claiming responsibility.  This is going to get ugly.

Posted

I hope it wasn't shot down by the Russians.. I worry this could escalate quite quickly into a serious problem :| 

5 people like this

Posted

The Boeing plane was flying from Amsterdam

Theres your problem right there....

1 person likes this

Posted

Breaking, link soon.

Flight MH17

Boeing 777

295 souls on board

Reports it was shot down with a missile.

From Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, near the Russian border

Malaysia Airlines issued statement they are out of contact with flight

Posted

Well look at it on the bright side....they found this one.

5 people like this

Posted

Merged

Posted

More reports it was shot down coming in

Posted

Oh boy.

Posted

Crazy if that's the case... unless it was terrorists - why would they shoot down a passenger plane?

Let's hope it was a malfunction instead of actual terrorism! :no:

NEWS: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/europe/ukraine-malaysia-airlines-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- A Malaysia Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur has crashed in eastern Ukraine, Russian news agency Interfax reported Thursday.

Malaysia Airlines confirmed that it lost contact with MH17, and the flight's last known position was over Ukrainian airspace, the airline said on Twitter.

The jet is a Boeing 777, according to Interfax.

The plane reportedly went down near the border between Russia and Ukraine.

bttn_close.gif
140717114939-mh17-ukraine-russia-region- 
bttn_close.gif

The route taken by the Malaysian flight is a very common one between Kuala Lumpur and the Netherlands, said CNN aviation safety consultant Mary Schiavo. She noted that the plane was flying over a troubled area and said close communication with air traffic controllers would be a key necessity.

In a hostile or disputed areas, "any alteration from your course and you can have a problem," she said.

Posted

This is kind of scary because it is the stuff that starts big wars. If this was pro-Russian separatists or Russian military, this could have a domino effect leading to a world war. It isn't like the world isn't already on the edge of that sort of thing with Russia, North Korea, Iran, etc.

I hope I'm wrong about that, but I get the feeling that this could be a bad, bad thing.

Posted

Seeing multiple news sources on Twitter saying it was confirmed to have been shot down, not an accident.  Edit - apparently pro-Russian separatists are claiming responsibility.  This is going to get ugly.

Seeing these reports too, but waiting actual confirmation. If true, holy shit. :|

Posted

I'm starting to think that if it was indeed shot down, that someone is targeting the Malaysians. 2 planes of similar nature being taken down, there has to be a connections

1 person likes this

Posted

Crazy if that's the case... unless it was terrorists - why would they shoot down a passenger plane?

Let's hope it was a malfunction instead of actual terrorism! :no:

NEWS: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/europe/ukraine-malaysia-airlines-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I was wondering the same thing...how the ###### will shooting down a passenger plane carrying civilians promote your cause? Sick ######.

If it wasn't terrorism then I can think of is that this was a mistake, a terrible, terrible, tragic mistake. And if so Russia needs to do something about the dangerous weaponry that are falling into the handles of rebels (even the pro-russian ones).

Posted

I think its very important that they recovery the blacbox before the Russians do.

Posted

I'm starting to think that if it was indeed shot down, that someone is targeting the Malaysians. 2 planes of similar nature being taken down, there has to be a connections

that doesn't make any sense...at all. More likely the pro-russian separatists mistook it for a government/military plane and shot it down by accident (they are probably already regretting it as even Putin will not be able to defend them after this).

Posted

MH 370?

Posted

If there was a SAM, would that show up on radar?

Posted

so sad for the families and sad for Malaysia.  If this is shown to be caused by Russian weapons that they "allowed" to go to the separatists, then I think they will face serious consequences in the UN.  It will be hard for them to wiggle out of some responsibility for this.

Posted

Holy shit. If it's true that it got shot down by pro-Russian anything....man. Cold War 2: The Sequel, except this time it won't be so cold I think?

That's probably sensationalist, and I'd guess Putin would totally distance himself and the government of Russia from anything to do with this. But still, wow.

Posted

The bigger question is what in hell possessed Putin to give Buk missiles, which can hit targets to ~70,000 feet, to a guerilla group? Shoulder fired MANPADS are one thing, but Buk is a major weapons system.

6220-793258.jpg