LG 29UM65 Review

Well, my Dell 34'' UltraWide arrived yesterday (surprisingly, was scheduled for the 7th April).

I'm in love again, and will never be able to go back to 24'' :D

Beauty of a beast!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! :D

Although if I were you, I would get this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-128-LG&groupid=17&catid=2898

Freesync + 75HZ + supposedly improved motion clarity

Although freesync only works between 48-75 FPS + you would need a 29x or 285 AMD card for it to work.

BTW, for those that hate glossy plastic:

My stand (haven't done the upper part yet) and bottom strip now:

VNdML20h.jpg

rw38HA9h.jpg

I over did it a bit too much but either way it is still far better than the full on gloss finish! :D

• Like 1

Nice! :D

Although if I were you, I would get this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-128-LG&groupid=17&catid=2898

Freesync + 75HZ + supposedly improved motion clarity

Although freesync only works between 48-75 FPS + you would need a 29x or 285 AMD card for it to work.

Yeah, I saw that one, but I didn't think my graphics card would allow me to use the monitor to it's full advantage and only having a SFF not enough room to upgrade to a 29x.

The bottom bezel looks great - not too sure about the stand though.

You would still get the benefit of improved motion clarity + higher refresh rate/less input lag, just freesync you would lose out on (which isn't great anyway since it only works between 48 and 75 on that particular panel), if you do't mind losing out on the adjustable stand of the UB65 and the difference in cost isn't too much, I would definitely switch your order, mainly just to future proof yourself a bit more.

Also, I think you might get a few other features over the UB65 model:

i.e. that black stabilizer feature, which looks very good. That is for the 34" version, but I imagine you would get the same new features etc.

Yeah for some reason, those finger prints marks/spots on the stand don't seem to be coming of and I applied a bit too much pressure to it as you can probably tell from the deep looking scratches :p Even though it is overdone, it is much better than the gloss imo. I am going to do the rest sometime this week, just got the back, top, sides and the bottom of the monitor + the rest of the stand to do.

• Like 1

Yes I guess, but the ETA isn't till towards the end of May for the 29" version, plus I've ordered the UB65 from eBuyer not Overclockers, not sure if I want to mess around cancelling to wait 2 months to get one. I'm not a heavy gamer, just a casual game of Diablo 3 now and then.

Thanks for the advice but I think'll I stick with the UB65. 

Next upgrade I'll be sure to seek to look into this more.

Ah sorry didn't notice the ETA for that 29" one :(

Yeah, either way, I'm sure you will be MORE than happy with the UB65 :) It is great for gaming especially for games like diablo 3

Well, I have my 29UB55, whilst I've had very little use so far, I'm feeling a little underwhelmed with it, as to why, I'm not sure yet. I'm hoping after the next few days when I should be around a bit more, it will begin to grow on me a little more.

Hopefully I'll see a bit more of the benefits once I get back into my coding etc.

Whether it's because the mental picture of it in my mind differs from what it actually is I'm not sure. Didn't find any in shops that I could have a look at before purchase, so it's been researched online and reading lot's of different reviews etc.

The monitor is working great with no issues but I think it may just be the "newness" of the screen width and that, once I've used it for an extend period of time I'm sure it will be fine. 

I'll post a review in a few days once I've used it for longer than half an hour!

Yeah it will take a bit of getting use to the wideness especially if you are only coming from a single 16.9 screen.

Once you play some games, watch films or whatever, I'm sure you will like it :)

• 1 month later...
Over the last few week, I have noticed some excessive IPS glow/bleed on my 29um65, mainly because I have been watching more dark content i.e. daredevil, game of thrones etc. not sure how this has come about...

Here is a photo of when I first got my monitor back in July:

lpy6QF6h.jpg

And a photo of it now at the same brightness (13%) with the same camera etc.:

UMahJdyh.jpg

Even with 0% brightness and the LED strip light turned on, it is still noticeable:

8U5K8mNh.jpg

ETlGAyFh.jpg

IIRC this has happened with a couple of guys LG 34" screens after a few months and they had to send them back and deal with the poor service.

EDIT:

Banding was down to my display port cable, with the provided HDMI cable, the noticeable banding has gone.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing more of a let down than when you buy something, think you made a good decision, like your purchase - and someone says, "you should have bought this ..."

Like the kind of person who, when you bring over your new car for them to check out - and the first thing out of their mouth is "is that a door ding ?"

• Jim K locked this topic