Access VPN externally

Hi all,

I've set up VPN on my Windows Server 2012 R2, I can access this internally, but externally I can't. My host PC and my Hyper-V Windows Server box have the same external IP, any ideas how this can be resolved?

Hi all,

I've set up VPN on my Windows Server 2012 R2, I can access this internally, but externally I can't. My host PC and my Hyper-V Windows Server box have the same external IP, any ideas how this can be resolved?

You need to port forward (on your router) the VPN port(s) to whichever IP hosts the VPN. Those ports are (unless you've changed them):

For PPTP: 1723 TCP and Protocol 47 GRE (also known as PPTP Pass-through)

For L2TP over IPSEC: 1701 TCP and 500 UDP

For SSTP: 443 TCP

• 2 weeks later...

I have these both setup on my router to the physical address of the Hyper-V connection, though my host PC has the same IP for my Hyper-V Windows Server...

Use SSTP if you can so you don't need to mess with gre esp ah etc

though my host PC has the same IP for my Hyper-V Windows Server

That's the problem they need different ip addresses. You need to forward the vpn port or protocol to the servers ip.

Use http://www.mynetworktest.com/ports.php to test the vpn port is open.

Moved to Internet, Network & Security.

"My host PC and my Hyper-V Windows Server box have the same external IP,"

Sorry but that is not possible, unless your talking they behind the same nat IP?

What is in front of your PC and server? If you want your server to be vpn endpoint - then you need to forward the required ports and or protocols through your NAT to the internet. It would be impossible for your host and vm to have the same public IP on them without major issues and nothing really working.

Server is 192.168.1.2, host PC is 192.168.1.11 (Internal IPs)

I've set up a External Switch in Hyper-V 

They have the same external IP when I check via www.whatsmyip.org

"Server is 192.168.1.2"

There you go on your router that has your public IP from whatsmyip forward the ports/protocols you need for the vpn. Where you might run into problems is many home routers have issues with doing a forward of a protocol like GRE (protocol 47) ESP and AH for example 50 and 51..

You have not stated what actual vpn your trying to run.

If the router will not forward protocols that may or maynot be used depending on the vpn your trying to use then placing it in the DMZ on the router sometimes works.