Why US-American Exceptionalism will prevail

Where you mentioned George Bush is where I was thinking... WTF did you smoked? He is one of the worst president we ever had... He left this country in a second great depression.

Except that he didn't cause it... Do some research on the repeal of Glass-Seagall.

But hey, what do I know?  I just go by facts...

Except that he didn't cause it... Do some research on the repeal of Glass-Seagall.

The repeal of Glass-Steagall exacerbated the crisis but the real issue was the obscene spending on wars in the Middle East (Iraq and Afghanistan cost $4tn) and reckless tax cuts ($6.6tn). That's a total cost to US taxpayers of $10tn, which is incredible when you consider the US debt currently stands at $17tn. It doesn't take an economist to tell you that massively increasing expenditure whilst massively decreasing revenue will result in debt.

Bush was a disaster for the US economy, international relations, social policy and justice. He is easily one of the worst presidents the United States has ever had, if not the worst.

But hey, what do I know?  I just go by facts...

Aslo, do some research on the WHY of Glass-Steagal - the targets of G-S were insurers, not banks.

If anything, G-S was designed to PROTECT banks from insurance companies, because it barred both interstate deposit-taking and insurance companies from owning banks.

(It basically put a cap on bank size, and insulated them from insurace companies (specifically mutual OR stock insurance companies) which could still be any size, could accept payments nationally, and could even do BUSINESS in each state - all of which were verboten to banks.  The biggest target of G-S was the Equitable Life Insurance Company of the United States, simply because the majority of the ownership were Mormons.

The "bugbear" was that the Mormons (via Equitable) would make inroads - successful ones - into the nation's banks and banking system.

And why were the Mormons scorned?  That's easy enough - it was, even then, the only major religion in the United States that BEGAN in the United States; even more frightening to the "traditionalists", it was thus neither Catholic OR Protestant - as the Mormons had no European roots (as a religion).  Worse, the Mormons did NOT have the same "taboos" as either the Catholics OR Protestants - especially when it came to marriage.  (The predecessor of the Defense of Marriage Act - in terms of both scope and intent - was the original Marriage Act of 1875; while it did not impact state laws on ages of consent/majority, it DID codify marriage as being one man/one woman nationally.  Sound familar?  The target wasn't homosexuality - though it did exist, even then;  no, the target was those "bigamist Mormons" (that quoted comment came straight from what little debate there was in Congress on the law - which passed both chambers with veto-proof majorities).